Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...otes-to-leave/
    Much bigger list of information at http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

A couple things that caught my eye in the second article.

(note, questions answered in the second article become more and more mundane the further it goes on, I wouldn't read all of it unless you are really just interested)

2. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

The UK are pineappleing idiots

3. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

I voted for the in-EU camp. Sadly there aren't enough people who voted with reason, and more who voted out of feelings. It does reflect the reality of the various societal situations in UK, and perhaps a painful lesson for the world and especially UK, but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.

Hadriel

4. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't the vote an opinion poll that isn't legally binding whatsoever?

Now the media is reporting it like it's fact and they're tanking the economy over there because everyone is trying to get out

This creates an opportunity for shareholders to move in and buy up the low value stock before it stabilizes.

Now I'm not too sure here, but if I wanted to make money by destabilizing an economy, I'd do what they just did.

And then when things finally stabilize and they vote to stay in, have everyone pull their money out, destabilizing it once again.

5. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

In the same way that the entire election process is an opinion poll. Votes are not legally binding in the US, either. If they wanted to, the delegates could vote for whoever they wanted regardless of the popular vote, of which the results are more of a "strong suggestion" to them than anything. As that second article said, it would be career suicide to go directly against the popular vote, though.
    Last edited by Flonne; 2016-06-24 at 04:30 PM.

6. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

Remind me how good of an idea it is for a government elected by its people to go against the will of the people when they're asked to vote on an issue.

7. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

the people that got disarmed 20 years ago?
    idunno, could work out safely.

8. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

I'm looking at it from an investors point of view, and this really, really reminds me of the kind of thing that happens when you liquidate a company.

9. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

Which is great but this is a country so it's not really a great comparison.

10. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

By doing that, they would be showing all of their citizens and the entire world that they are just a dictatorship posing as a democracy. Just because you can easily quell a populace that have no weapons to fight back with doesn't mean it's a good idea, the ramifications for imposing martial law to get what you want against the will of your people would be much worse than any that come out of leaving the EU.

Today the stock market did about as badly as expected, tech and financials are both way down, globably the average for banks is down around 10% and banks in Britain are all down 20-25%. From what I understand of this vote, by the way, this isn't actually the end of them leaving the EU even if it passes legislation. The EU members themselves also have to vote (66%?) to ALLOW them to leave unless Britian is special for some reason, which I don't think is the case. I can see widespread riots happening if they don't allow it, though; it would be worse in the long term if they block it, because there would never be any attempt at rational communication from either side from then on, and it would likely tear the entire EU apart from the inside.

11. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

To further add to the point of the power of media and speculative information on... err... speculation, it should be noted that for about an hour or so, when the Remain camp was leading, shares soared to amazing heights. Media polls are often accurate, but when the votes are on the knife edge, I think such reporting is rather unethical. To begin with, there is no quorum to fulfil, so I feel this referendum is a terrible one, like trying to say 52% being greater than 48% is very significant. Bloody hell no. The voters who didn't turn up could have made things different (or not).

The referendum is legally binding but more in a moral sense and as a matter of principles, as they have to honour the consensus by the people (no matter how slim the majority is) i.e. they have to make this democracy a real working democracy. Nevertheless, there are avenues available to reverse the situation, and it also does not mean UK will immediately leave (takes at least 2 years I think?). Unfortunately, the damage has already been done, and the impression on UK from all the countries around the world will change, subtly or tremendously.

The comments uttered by Boris Johnson are... for a lack of more appropriate words due to a failing vocabulary... incredibly irresponsible and goading.

IMO this is where democracy shows it failing, in that 52% might be a majority but it effectively is a lose-lose situation; the numbers are meant to represent the views of the people, and to conclude that the people are more in favour of leaving is not the right nor the primary conclusion that should be drawn from this referendum. Again this is IMO.
    Hadriel

12. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

I feel like anything near a 50/50 split, leaning either way, should be taken to further voting until it's something more people can actually agree with. The main reason they even won was because Cameron wasn't able to get acceptable renegotiation terms with the EU, wasn't it? If he had gone back and tried again for better terms until it was a 66/33 split for remain that would have been much better, I feel like taking a 50/50 split is a good way to piss off half of all people and make them permanently salty about how close the vote was. An election is obviously different since there will -never- be a close consensus for that sort of thing. This is also assuming people won't be plantains and vote against something no matter what just to be spiteful, which is a bad assumption to make. There is no system that has or ever will exist that people can't pineapple up, basically.

13. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

>waah 52/48 what a terribly narrow margin of victory

what, is america the only place where margins of victory are this small? people are upset about this?

14. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

I think people complain because it's not something petty like an elected official which we all know most of the time it doesn't matter who wins it'll be the same thing and doesn't last long(most of the time), meanwhile something like this that has what it is, 50 years in the making? is being undone by about a million people difference when there's around 45 million registered voters and it's going to have a huge impact in the near future(most likely it'll be back to normal in a few years).

15. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

16. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Just FYI, this is not 100% true. Many states require delegates to vote according to their constituents for things like presidential candidates.

I was watching the vote results and Cameron's resignation live. I was really shocked and so were my expat friends living there. The 52/48 margin isn't huge, but iirc there was a 70+% voter turn out which is incredibly impressive for a democracy, sad as that may be. I wouldn't use the popular media terms like "mandate", but there's no threshold on their democracy.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens in Scotland asks for another referendum and tries to rejoin the EU.

I don't think anyone can really predict all of the consequences of such an unprecedented event.

17. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

Right, state level stuff can override it, but the state actually has to say it outright or the delegates don't technically have to do it. Superdelegates are not bound by anything though, they can vote for whoever they want no matter what the law says. Luckily, they are only a thing in the Democratic primaries, Republicans don't use that pomegranate and they aren't used in the general either.

18. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36672591
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUSKCN0ZG0GS
    lmfao

EDIT:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...mment-77205935
    Last edited by Satellite; 2016-07-01 at 05:37 AM.

19. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

First off, as a nonbritbong, what's a decent synopsis of article 50, I don't know what that is.

Second, isn't that an incredibly biased (in the opposite political direction) paper? Of course they will write it to be like they've already won and their leadership are golden gods of political chess. All it takes is one guy who doesn't really give a pineapple about his career and cares more about his ideology and the entire premise of what they are saying will go down the drain. In fact, a puppet who neither knows the consequences nor cares about them could work just as well, there are plenty of idiots in the political world to use then throw aside by the leadership of the parties. The negative ramifications, at least for the rest of the world, have already just about reversed entirely and it's only been a week; the market has been up quite a bit every day now since the drop on Friday, anyway. The doomsayers are always wrong about this type of pomegranate, I saw a bunch of old white guys on Fox and the stock market channels saying this drop was going to be the worst thing they've ever lived through and nothing would stop it, the world was going to go bankrupt because one country made an unpopular decision. Now they are already doing huge Buys on the market and making a pomegranateload of money off of the crash.

20. Default Re: Britain's vote to leave EU passes with ~51.8%

@Satellite; are you seriously using the guardian, probably one of the most brain washed extreme left wing media outlets on the Web, as some sort of source for anything? The bias from that article is practically smeared in your face.