Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

Just saying, the kid could have a secondary phone that's not like the iPhone. I know of some parents at least who have done that to avoid the possibility of their kids getting their expensive phones stolen or confiscated because they used it at school.

2. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

OH MY GOD THESE RULES PISS ME OFF SO MUCH PLEASE DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE MY ANGRY SIDE.

Spoiler

3. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

I never thought of it as something to do in public. A phone is just the easiest thing to access while you're lying in bed or sitting on the toilet.

4. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

True true, though there are some schools out there that don't allow children to use the phones at certain times (this includes after school).

Our school had that thing for awhile, and if they weren't outside and you needed to go back in to call them they'd kick you out automatically.

Of course, there's also kids that allow others to borrow their phones, but y'know, ahah.

I'm one of those as well; I think I just prefer taking it mostly because my parents are prone to calling constantly, but it doesn't really sound like these are -- so I can understand what you mean.

Desktops were, and are, still the bomb for me, ahaha. Though I use a laptop now due to being older, I wouldn't mind using a desktop at times.

Iunno, I may have a smartphone of some kind, but I think I'm only saying what I'm saying because I wouldn't mind having to use some of the older flip phones for anything if it came down to it.

5. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

Kids these days, I tells ya what. I didn't get a phone until I was around 15 years old. The phone was the size of a brick, it could only be used to talk.

Spoiler

6. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

@Loose; Your remarks made me laugh heartily. I came back because I remembered that I had a bit of commentary to do on that rule about not taking pictures everywhere and this is what I think of it:

See, your first thought may be that it's just plain weird to ask him not to take pictures; what's an iPhone good for then (I assume this must at least be a 4S)? Then there's those of you who say it's about not camwhoring but I say it's more likely that she just does not want her son to be so dependent on the iPhone to even capture memories. As for why I think so, I recall a story from Reader's Digest about a mother so obsessed with recording the important events of her family's lives that she never quite saw or experienced it for herself since she was too busy adjusting the lenses and such to live in the moment.

After all, taking a picture of a flower is hardly as interactive as touching it, smelling it and also seeing it.

7. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

It's like the people recording concerts with their cellphones. Why?

8. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

I have no idea myself. I can only say though that I read lots from both books and from laptops these days and I still find the turn of a page more exciting.

9. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

I didn't get my first cell phone until I turned 18. Coincidentally that was when I got my driver's license. I don't even have a smart phone. It's used for texting and calling, that's it. I have 2 computers and internet access almost anywhere I go anyway. There's no real need for a smart phone.

10. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

None taken. It still irks me at times, because she sometimes expects me to live up to her expectations, and they are well...unreasonable at times.

What I'm saying is that these rules won't make him a better person. When rules make people better people, it's out of fear; rules don't teach people not to do things...it teaches people how to get around the system and not get caught. All those parents forbidding their children to date in high school...Do these kids actually not date? Sure, some don't, but many simply choose to date behind their parents' back. Plagerism gets you expelled. Does that prevent people from doing it? Nope, they just try to become more sneaky. People choose not to date because they think to themselves "you know, they might actually have a point...I'm NOT ready!", and people choose not to cheat because "dangit, I'm better than that. I don't need to cheat to get my grades! I study hard, I won't have to cheat!"

11. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

This so much.
    My mom was like the mom who gave the cellphone, always behind my back, checking everything I did and fixing all my mess ups. It was more like they're trying to prevent mess ups than to actually help their kids become responsible adults.
    All her rules were reasonable and whatnot, but it didn't help me at all. When I turned 16-17 and changed school I noticed I had never dealt with anything because my mom was always there, hoping all her rules would make me a great adult.
    When she was finally off my back I started messing things up really bad, but since she wasn't there I was able to fix them by myself. I was finally able to grow up. Of course, sometimes I needed her support, but that's all parents should do: support their kids.
    From all those mistakes, experiences and advices I managed to learn more than from the restrictive rules I had.

Bit off topic: Things have changed enough so that I don't feel controlled at all. If anything, the liberties I was given when I left school made me notice that talking with my mom about certain stuff, and getting her advice was beneficial.
    But when it comes to money I'm still controlled, and it's something that scares me. I've never really dealt with money, whenever I need money I ask my mom to give me some and she does. I don't know what's it like to have a budget, I don't know what's it like to have no money at the end of the month because I overspent myself.
    I've been trying to convince her to give me a monthly allowance, that's enough to cover my expenses, but she's afraid I'll mess up and end up with nothing after a couple of weeks. And what if I do? I gotta learn how to make money last for a month.

12. Mercury Straight Male
    IGN: StacknStick
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Phantom
    Guild: Exist
    Alliance: DreamHome
    Farm: ButcherDen
    russia

Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

Didn't have use for a phone until I got into highschool and even then my parents gave me a $5 go-phone that could only be loaded up with $25 every 3 months which was an equivalent of 100minutes of calling or 100texts. If I could I would give my kid that kinda phone because I don't even trust myself with an iPhone, it's too much money in a kids pocket, he's not old enough to be carrying that kind of responsibility around.

13. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

This really changes from child to child, my sister is 13 year old and earned money for her own iphone5 by working a job with a friend of hers in the spare-time.
    And she is most definitely responsible enough to have one.
    We do not know the child, so we can not make any statements regarding if he's mature enough to have that kind of responsibility.

14. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

What pisses me off about it

Is that she's using a gift to try and control him further.

She's taken a Christmas present and turned it into a collar.

15. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

That's why I'm sometimes thankful that I hardly get gifts. The ones I've received from my online friends have been nothing but sincere which is why I'm all too happy to accept it and return my own.

In turn, these rules are good IF they're guidelines but given that it's a contract I'd bet that there's quite a bit of needed adherence to it so it may well backfire. One should hope that the kid has been taught on at least a few of these points before he got his iPhone though or else it'll backfire completely.

16. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

Interpretations of the "ToC" is very subjective. I do not believe that there is a need to take interpretations to the extreme. Here's an example:

Alright so how do we interpret this? "You cannot take photos"? Or "You must not take photos"? Or how about something more reasonable, like "Take some photos, but don't go snapping every 5 minutes"? I don't believe the mum is being unreasonable, just being terribly obvious. Again we don't know the motives of the mum so everything said in this thread is some shade of grey.

If he us really being controlled by his mum because he is given these phones with these restrictions, then simply don't use it. Why walk into a path that puts you into a tighter bind when you can maintain status quo?

One last thing: for many things, you need to fall/fail in order to learn. But if you can learn the same thing by listening to others and/or you yourself avoiding the fall, isn't that even better?

Hadriel

17. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

Looks like i've been following these 'rules' without having my mum telling me, although i do bring it to school.
    Things like not using your phone while having a conversation is pretty common sense tbh.
    The time restrictions though kinda suck, but he is 13 after all. ((When i was 13 i didnt even think i needed a phone))

Spoiler

18. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

Most of these rules are common sense and should have been taught to your child well before you even give them a phone. The only ones that should be up there are "don't break it it's very expensive and if you do break it I'll replace it alright but you wont be getting it back for a while" and rule 12, which shouldn't just apply to naked pics but to a bunch of other things. Most people older than 13 still don't get that. The whole time limit is dumb and might as well have not have given him a phone at all hes in middle school he gets out around 2:40 if he does anything after school hes not getting home till about 4-5pm and then homework most likely so when the hell does he call or text anyone?

19. Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

This is really just basic parenting. I mean, I thought most parents teach their kids about responsibility and how it's a privilege to have a cell phone.

20. Can of Soup Male
    IGN: LunaMimosa
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 134
    Job: OP Elf Queen
    Guild: Some no-name guild
    Alliance: Read above.

Default Re: Mom's own iPhone use ToC (Terms of Conditions) to her son

I found the concept appalling at first, After reading it through I find it mostly acceptable and more importantly understandable.

I believe healthy parenting balances between gradual independence allotment along with measures to yank them back out of trouble. But most importantly proper teaching to explain the why behind the values one wants to pass on. This ToC does a decent job of that.

... but still

Doubt this would hold up in court.

I actually appreciate this a lot; there used to be a time that people talked to each other to learn things, and this also would break the ice between them. and a way to display the personality trait of willingness to help others. lmgtfy.com is not clever, its just a icon of people's dwindling social skills and inability to see a question as a chance to talk to someone new.

2 guys with the similar personality traits are next to each other, one is so used to talking to people words just come right out, he can read body language and understands subtle reactions. The other is quiet, constantly texting and short on words and shows little to no eye contact and attention to the environment.

They have roughly the same interests and personalities, but which is a girl more likely to find more interesting? This one is only helping the guy all around. (The example applies in reversed genders too j/s)

This stuff sounds extreme, but i gotta say it; think about how differently things would have went for "Amanda Todd" if she had a mom like this?