Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Notice] Item Unlock Requests

1. Default

Well, they did release the item lock during the "OMG MSEA GOT SQL INJECTED" rumor to capitalize on lil kid fears. Noooooooooooo must buy locks....

2. Default

He had a temp one on the overall.

3. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Well, you can lock it again...

4. I AM NOW "Mute"
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 21
    Job: None
    Guild: No where
    Alliance: Unemployment
    ireland

and (constantly) spend money to keep relocking it? its pathetic. either permanent locks should be available, or no locks at all, its just being fair to the consumer. besides, thats what the NPC mr. pickall is supposed to be for, to unlock locked items. if they made the permanent locks available, and activated mr. pickall like he should be, then there wouldnt have been this big ordeal.

5. Default

Hey guys, about the locks...

YOU DON'T FKING NEED THEM IF YOU'RE GOOD AT PROTECTING YOUR VALUABLES FROM OUTSIDERS AND YOURSELF (in case you get drunk lol)!!!

If I had lots of NX to splurge on, Item Locks are among the lowest on my priority list, just above armor NX clothing, but below transparent stuff.

6. Default

Excepting for those joyous occassions when, gasp, Nexon. pineapples. Up.

How many times have other versions been breached?

Even that aside, how many people live with other people, play on shared computers, and are at risk just by existing?

Anyone with a malicious sibling can benefit from locks.
    Anyone who's pissed off an ex can benefit from locks.
    Anyone who plays in a shared environment where anyone else has access to the router, or the ability to use a hardware keylogger can beenfit from locks.

You make them sound worthless, but they're only worthless for people who live in isolation chambers behind multiple firewalls and layers of security protocols, and even I don't trust all my own security to keep me safe from someone who was truly determined just because 50% of my security relies on Nexon being secure.

7. Default

I don't live in an isolation chamber yet I find locks useless... one reason I never give anyone my nexon ID or any other account info, even the people I trust most, because once it's out there, it's out there. If a security breach is widespread enough to actually hit me, then it's already hit everyone with more valuables than me (a lot of people), so Nexon will obviously do something about it or lose some of its most dedicated players.

If anyone else knows your nexon ID though, it could be a good idea to lock but only if you have all of your account info, both to request a password/pin reset if you get hacked and so that you can unlock your items when you need to.

8. Default

You're just repeating the same crap the "don't cares" always say. That's nice. Don't use it then, not for you. Doesn't make it useless just because you don't see a value in it.

I don't give my info out either, doesn't mean I'm invulnerable. Doesn't mean someone I trust in my home won't keylog me for their own reasons. You can't control other people, therefore you have to be able to limit what options other people can excercise with your stuff.

People are jacked up little monkeys. They don't need motives you can understand to do the things they do. Someone could see you post an opinion they don't like and go after you. Someone can decide your hair color offends them. Sanity is not a prerequisite for malice. All it takes is the wrong person getting access to you, and HeroTex is an easy example of that.

9. Default

I agree that they can be useful for some people. But like Cyanne said, as long as you don't give away your info (or be stupid enough to download anything that includes a keylogger from an unreliable source) you should be fine without these. If Nexon screws up, you will be compensated anyway. Like with that 'remote hack' thing, I think GamerTex got all his stuff back. Also Harrisonized probably will get his overall back since it wasn't supposed to expire.

These item locks are useless anyway for everyone who didn't get all scrolls to pass on the locked equipment or have unhammered equips. Hackers can blow up your item with a clean slate, or if there's nx on the account they can hammer and use a dark scroll.

But yeah, these temporary item locks are just stupid. They should have just kept the permanent ones. Was probably too much work for Nexon though, that's why they don't release the locks anymore on the temporary ones.

10. Default

Nope. They're both still waiting last I heard. Could be a very long wait.

Anyhow, those security guidelines don't do you any good if you're in an environment someone else has access to "your" machine, such as the average household, library, netcafe, whatever. Any time you're playing in an environment where other people have access to your box, or your router, you're a security risk and these help minimize that.

It's not always about how stupid you are, if you live with an idiot who downloads crap willy nilly you have no idea what's lurking in a shared machine.

11. Default

I honestly feel really bad for him, and this is a time where i would actually consider just getting someone who actually knows how the game runs to just hack one back on a spare account and give him the thing. One thing that can stop Nexon's evil: Hacking with a Heart. Too bad they will go postal with bans on him, the mule, the guy, and half his friends.

I hope his scrolling venture goes well on that new overall. Hopefully he can at least get CLOSE to what he had before.

12. Default

I was replying to you saying that they were useful to everyone not living in isolation chambers, not forcing the idea that they were useless to everyone. And really, roommates/family keylogging your computer for your maple account kind of sounds like there are other issues there more important than losing your items if they're the "jacked up little monkeys" like you described.

13. Default

Your evolution theory just made my day. God damn, gotta find which animal jacked my ancestors

14. Default

You really are failing to consider how many players are in involuntary living arrangements, such as shared college dorms, where you have absolutely no control over who you live with or what kind of person they are or how petty siblings can be for the younger crowd.

15. Default

Anyone living with you who would want to keylog you would first of all have to know how to keylog in the first place, play maple, and hate your guts enough to take years of effort away from you. I doubt more than 0.1% of people involuntarily living with someone is in this kind of situation.

16. Default

Hate you? All it takes is a little jealousy. You're severely underestimating how awful people are. I'd say at least 90% of everyone you know isn't trustworthy.

17. Default

i never gave my info to anyone, i dont go to weird sites, sadly i used to share the computer with my sister and brother. guess what one of them got a keylogger in it and i lost everything. they dont even play maple it was just something she picked up at her college comp and it transfered here.

bad luck is bad, but no security is flawless

18. Default

or a nasty mistake, like not logging out of your PC while you run to the bathroom and a four year old gets ahold of your character and drops everything you own, in the FM. (seen it happen, bye bye quest items that Nexon won't return, refund, or even allow to be reobtained).

as for jealousy - Seen a girlfriend delete all her boyfriends characters while he left the room because "he was paying more attention to the game than me". Wasn't premeditated, just a heat of the moment thing, and "it was just a game".

Seen a roomie change passwords (unrecoverably) on another roomie just because it amused them and they didn't see the harm.

Stuff happens. Doesn't take any great and abiding hatreds or jealousy. Additional security measures are a way to help minimize what sort of things can happen to you.

19. Default

As much as I disagree with Harrison most of the time, I agree with him/everyone posting here: He should get his overall back. This is a problem with Nexon, not Harrison and he should be compensated for it.

As for the topic of temporary locks, I remember talking to my parents a few weeks ago. They were telling me about how they had at a point in time bought an insurance that gives you $100,000 if by any chance something happened to you. If it doesnt happen to you, the monthly installments you put into the insurance has gone to waste. I argued that it was silly to buy something like that, as the odds of actually being able to claim that money at the end is low. However, my parents told me that while that is true, the money they paid into it gave them a peace of mind.

Even temporary, item locks provide a peace of mind till they disappear. That should be a given. The debate is whether they truly give you that peace of mind. As others above have mentioned, they could clean slate/dark scroll your item till it kabooms and do other things that makes the lock obsolete. If anything should be faulted about these locks, its that they arent foolproof, not the fact that your chances of getting hacked are low.