1. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default The parable of the Rabbi and the goat

A Jew came to the Rabbi, begging for advice.
    "Rabbi, my life is unbearable. I work hard all day but we are very poor. My wife and I and our six children all live in a one-room shack. Our clothes are threadbare, we hardly have food, what shall we do?"
    The Rabbi pondered and then gave the man a coin from the charity box, and said, "Buy a goat."
    "You mean, so we can have free milk?"
    The Rabbi nodded.
    "But Rabbi, even if we could afford a goat, we don't have a barn or even a yard to keep a goat in."
    "So keep it in the house with you."

The man was puzzled, but there was no questioning the wisdom of the Rabbi. He went and bought a goat and took it home.

A week later he came back to the Rabbi.
    "Oh Rabbi! I really don't want to sound ungrateful for your advice, but life is horrible! My wife and I and our six children and the goat are really really crowded in our little home. The noise, the stench! The goat eats our food and our clothes! Please help!"

The Rabbi pondered some more, and said, "Sell the goat."

After two days the Jew came back.
    "Oh Rabbi! You are so wise! I sold the goat like you told me, and now life is wonderful! So much space in our peaceful home! So wonderful to have clothes and food not disappear on us! Thank you so much!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And why is this story in the Maplestory Discussion section?

Because Nexon uses the Rabbi's tactic all the time. Things are bad, the players complain, so Nexon makes things even worse. The players shift to complaining about the new horrible thing, so Nexon restores things to how they were (or almost so), and the players fall all over themselves thanking Nexon for fixing the unbearable situation. For "removing the goat", as we say in Hebrew. The players completely forget their previous complaints, or feel that it's "too much to ask". "I mean they already gave us this very important thing we asked for, we shouldn't be greedy for even more".

The latest goat is the change to UTC.
    It's utterly ridiculous and I can't imagine anyone there actually thought it would be a good idea to run their North American game servers on UTC time. They're only now "looking into" rescheduling events so the majority of players (which are still in America) can participate.
    I expect that they will shortly revert this change and then expect us to forget about all the other things wrong with the game, and all the other complaints that go unheard, for a while.

2. Lead Ball Male
    IGN: Ivangoldes
    Server: Now Bera
    Level: 258
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Olimpo/OnePoint
    Alliance: Aliança
    Farm: Ivangold/Farmnamedmg
    brazil

Default Re: The parable of the Rabbi and the goat

I tought there would be two timers, one for Europeu and other for Global maple...well, let's see how that turns out.

3. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

4. Orbital Bee Cannon

Key word: "adequately".

5. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

To be fair, all the other games (inc. Riders of Icarus, Dirty Bomb, and First Assault) except for Mabinogi, Vindictus, and Atlantica are running on either CET for Nexon Europe games (Combat Arms, WarRock, CSN:Zombies) or UTC (all the other games mentioned incl. Dirty Bomb) time on both NA and EU servers. I would bet that they'd change the server time in Vindictus to UTC after the migration in February, too. Trust me, I was quite as shocked as many of you were when I noticed that everything reset at 4pm Pacific when I was playing Riders of Icarus in the NA servers.

There's a poll on the official forums where most of the community appears to agree that the NA servers should be kept on PST and EU servers to be on CET. That might have a trickle down effect on all the other games, or at least for Vindictus, if this is done.

6. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

we earned the fame of complainers because we remembered how it was before every goat.

7. Orbital Bee Cannon

For games that are serviced by NexonEU that kind of makes sense.

If they're so used to UTC, why was it done as an afterthought to MapleStory?
    It wasn't in the original maintenance notice (though Nexon's web notices are often lacking important details) and no thought was given to events and other time-dependent content. I'm sure people can get used to a 4PM reset (and 3PM in summer), but having everything from Kritias Invasions to Moon Bunny Pirate attacks unavailable during prime playing time is ridiculous. I mean, the bunny events only work 6AM to midnight, which while annoying to non-Americans kind of made sense for PST time. But now that means they don't run between 4 and 10 PM PST, which is when most Americans play.
    I guess they clean forgot about it, and then halfway through the maintenance somebody said, "Did you remember to set the server time to UTC?" and the others were like, "Oh, right". I guess we should be grateful they remembered to put it in the notice at that point, because otherwise we'd have been a lot more confused.

Well, duh. Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially when Nexon never explained what's so great about UTC. Of course people want their "normal" server clocks back. I am kind of surprised at the number of people who want PST for all servers, though. Why do the Americans want to force their timezone on the European server? Well, maybe they just didn't read all the options. They just look at the first line, it fits their personal concerns, they click it.

8. Default Re: The parable of the Rabbi and the goat

Is it really that important?

Game works the same. Resets occur at a different time. So what. I'm a European player and I'm already used to this, and trust me, it's not a problem. You have to adapt slightly, and then, you will notice... It doesn't matter.

So what, now they schedule more times of x2 so everyone can have their chance? Well where's the problem in that? Do you really think they'll have different times for the events just for that? No. It'll be the same, PLUS whatever else they add to accomodate UTC players.

Jesus, it's like people spend 24 hours playing the game and can't get used to a silly change...

9. Default Re: The parable of the Rabbi and the goat

From the many, many years of this game being out, the vast majority of unscheduled maintenances occur during the middle of the day to the evening in the United states. With reset now being at the time frame that it is, it can really screw over a lot of people in regards to daily activities and attendances/events, etc. Yeah, it screwed people over previously, but this will affect people in much larger quantities.

That aside, this is EMS merging with GMS - why should our clocks be forced to be changed rather than theirs? Not to mention this also affects other in game daily events such as invasions, which many can no longer even participate in because of the different times.

It has nothing to do with how much or how little someone plays.

10. Orbital Bee Cannon

The problem is that they didn't reschedule anything.

As I wrote in the post directly above yours, everything still runs at the same server-time it always did, but now that time makes no sense.
    Flag Race, Kritias Invasion, calling Orchid for her chair, Moon Bunny event mini-games, all run at times American players can't participate.
    What makes you think they've scheduled more 2x?
    About the only thing that's become more convenient (to Americans) is the Yu Garden blackmarket, which used to (intentionally) only appear late at night, and now appears in the middle of the day.

Even if they reschedule everything, it's still a lot more natural to be able to play normally, go to sleep, and wake up to a new game-day, instead of having to remember that reset happens in the middle of the day and plan your activities accordingly. I know it's possible, I'm in Israel and the GMS reset used to be at 10AM for me. But a morning reset is easier to live with than 4PM or 7PM reset, because most people wouldn't be playing in the time window between waking up and morning reset (unless they need to finish something from last night). Most people work or go to school in the morning. On the other hand, most people are playing in the afternoon/evening, and if reset happens in the middle of that it can be annoying.

Furthermore, UTC has no daylight savings time. That means reset isn't even at a fixed time. There will always be a period of confusion twice a year, until people get used to the new reset time. (We get this for a few weeks every season because Europe doesn't move clocks on the same dates America does). It's possible to live with, but why should the majority of players have to?

Bottom line: if this change had been announced earlier and everything rescheduled accordingly (ideally, all content and events should just be made to run around the clock, so people in America, Australia, and Europe, could all participate), it would have been a lot easier to swallow.
    But I don't think it was necessary at all, because it inconveniences the majority of players for no good reason.

11. Default Re: The parable of the Rabbi and the goat

So, the solution is to screw the new influx of players? No, UTC seems to me the best solution, with reschudeling of events and in-game triggers. Just because it was one way before doesn't mean it was perfect. What they need to focus is on giving everyone the same chances. That includes not having a x2 event only on the midnight, or having to stay until 4 am for a quest. Resetting a boss on the middle of the day actually gives you the chance of doing all daily runs of the same boss of two days in the same time in the middle of the day. Why doesn't anyone think it's convenient?

UTC, EST, whatever. It's truly global now. If you need to cover like, half the time zones, I'd say you go to the standard. However, you better be scheduling for that half of the time zones too. So yes, I think you ARE right, in a sense. But now it's not only North America, even if the playerbase is mainly there. Or else, no new European players will ever come. And that's bad for everyone in the long run.

12. Orbital Bee Cannon

The idea isn't for European players to come to the NA servers. Nexon practically begged them to stay on the server that gives them the best ping, and promised to add an EU Reboot soon, too.

So the NA servers should have stayed PST and the the EU server should have stayed CET, which is not screwing anyone.
    Screwing the majority to accommodate a few newcomers certainly makes no sense.

As for doing bosses twice in one day - that means you do them one day on, one day off. If you go solo that's your own choice, but if you're doing guild runs that opens the door to endless disagreements and misunderstandings.

13. Neutron
    IGN: SkyTheBM
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 248
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: Revenance
    Alliance: Blanc

The Game Team intends to keep UTC +0 as the server time for all servers. The people in LA like it, apparently.

Yet it's still PST-orientated for Hot Days and some other stuff...

I personally don't mind the reset at 4PM too much (though I'd prefer midnight PST), but it screws up content such as Flag Race, Kritias, and other content for people who have work/school.

14. Orbital Bee Cannon

I think the "People like it here in LA" is a response to "should have a nexon hq in australia".

The "Game Team" is in Korea anyway, isn't it? Regardless, the server time doesn't affect them at all. Things like maintenances are still scheduled by PST.

Anyway, it's really confusing when some things reset by UTC but some other things (Hot Days, Cash sales, maybe other stuff I can't remember) go by PST. And I'm not looking forward to March when Daylight Savings Time confuses the hell out of everybody for at least a month.

As for content like Flag Race, Kritias, etc, people have asked for those thing to be available around the clock. We have players in pretty much every timezone on Earth, it makes little sense to have events limited to a short time window, no matter what clock that window is set by. (But it makes the least sense when the window doesn't even fit the majority of players).

But, oh well. We've got bigger goats to try to get rid of, now. "Lag" being #1.

15. Default Re: The parable of the Rabbi and the goat

I wish the monsters nexon created over the years were pleasant as goats

It's more like a herd of Emues and the Australians lost against them in the war

16. Lead Ball Male
    IGN: Ivangoldes
    Server: Now Bera
    Level: 258
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Olimpo/OnePoint
    Alliance: Aliança
    Farm: Ivangold/Farmnamedmg
    brazil

I feel like Nexon can use this tatic, the servers get less laggy, it may be worst than before the V patch, and they won't need instantly to fix hackers, since people will be able to actually play the game...
    Weird enough the EMS and GMS are seperated almost completely, you can even get the hot day in the two parts in the same account, i don't see how the server times aren't diferent, the servers are in diferent places.
    I see how they won't change to PST, because right now, it's full of people, Luna is just as crowded or more than Scania.

17. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

but the problems are one and the same mostly.

18. Neutron
    IGN: SkyTheBM
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 248
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: Revenance
    Alliance: Blanc

So apparently one of the effects of a DST change is making Monster Collection boxes exploration durations one hour less. (6 hr explorations are now 5 hrs, 3 hrs are now 2 hrs, etc.)

I haven't tried 30 minute explorations post-DST change (didn't think about it until now), but if the effect on them is as I think they are, don't be surprised if an unscheduled maintenance pops up soon...

EDIT: Asked a friend to test out 30 minute explorations post-DST. They're unaffected: they still have 30 minute durations.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon

I think that's just the explorations that overlapped the DST change.
    I sent out 3-hour and 6-hour explorations just now, and they seem normal.

As an aside, I'm really looking forward to the mess of "so when is reset now?" posts everywhere.