Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

Anybody going to UCF? I'm going there for summer

2. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

My brother is, but I'm not graduating yet.

3. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

Read these, do your own research as well, don't make the mistake so many people this generation of college students are making:
    http://money.msn.com/saving-money-ti...7-b5a630e2bec8
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...t-for-everyone
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...ed-how/256237/

Essentially, if you live in the US, really put thought into what you college plans are. College can be good, but only if you seriously plan out what you're going to do in it and actually get a degree that will actually pay itself off and not leave you in debt for the rest of your life. There's a large issue right now with so many parents pushing their children of this generation into college. They come from a time where college was your Get-Into-A-Good-Job-Easy ticket; where a degree had more value and was cheaper in expense. They socially pressure their kids to go into college only to get mad at them when they're still not living on their own by the time they're in their mid 20's because the loans are too harsh and the job market is too unforgiving at the moment.

I'm giving you fair warning. I'm not trying to scare any of you into not going to college, just trying to make sure you actually are going to college with it thought out; and not just because every adult is drilling it into your heads that you absolutely need it or you'll face hard times. One of the more ironic arguments is that the economy is horrible, therefore you need your college education to get a job since you won't be able to get a job otherwise. It's ironic because they know the economy is bad, but they're not acknowledging how much of the national debt comes from the student loan crisis we're currently facing; and they're essentially adding more fuel to the flame if they push unprepared young adults in.

4. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

Congrats! Too bad I'm likely not gonna be around next year, but there's always @Mike

5. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

More or less be sure that you can support yourself in college and that whatever you are doing in college isn't a dead end major. Cost of living is high, and cost of education has skyrocketed and does not show up on the CPI so government aid will not fully aid those who aren't ready to support themselves.

6. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

Thanks. <:
    ...Where are you off to?

7. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

I don't actually find out until May, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting in, so I'll be spending a year somewhere across the pacific ocean

8. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

sup.

9. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

Funny meeting you for the 3rd time this month, except not in person

10. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

Hiya!

So the study abroad thing's gonna work out? Lucky duck. One day I too will leave this continent.

11. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

I think a more interesting discussion is how half of the new generation thinks college is a scam because my generation couldn't get their dream jobs with degrees with no demand in society. Aka super smash brothers melee

12. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

What is "your generation"? I went to college and did alright.

13. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

It's not a scam, but it's still a business that seeks to be profitable; and doesn't always mind exploiting consumers. As an example, colleges turn down credits on transfer that are the same exact course and follow the same curriculum simply because they want you to take the course at their school. It makes partial sense if the school specializes in certain subjects, but a majority of the time students end up completely having to review exactly what they've learned and pay for the same course 2 times over. Or setting degree requirements that are absolutely terrible just for the sake of milking more money from students (physical education course as a requirement in my college, no joke).

I'm certain that the 53% of the umemployed college grads under 25 didn't all seek out useless degrees (though I won't deny there people do seek out lousy degree choices). There's far more that goes into what's wrong with the current state of college than students getting degrees in worthless subjects, and it's rather shallow to believe that that's the major issue here.

Although a lot of parents are stuck on the mindset that a degree in anything is good as long as you actually go to college, and pressure their children to go even if they're indecisive. A lot of those getting degrees in horrible fields probably weren't even prepared for going and only went because of strong social pressure. "I'm not sure what I want to do, but I'm interested in games so I'll get a game degree so that I can get something."

There's a lot of factors that go into it. The blame doesn't solely fall on the colleges, nor the students, nor the government, nor the parents. It's a combination of those, each contributing something into the nasty pot.

You can do fine in college, just go prepared. Have it thought out, evaluate if your career path is worth the investment, try to get as much financial support as possible aside from government loans, look into internships while you're in school to get experience (which is more important in the current job market than a degree), try to network out if you can through your professors, etc. Don't just go because mommy and daddy are telling you that you absolutely must and that you'll amount to nothing if you don't go. Don't go just because you can't currently get a job and you feel like you need to busy yourself with at least school and don't have anything in particular you're looking for out of it.

14. Default Re: 2017 College Decisions

Are you sure? Because you seem to not grasp the details of my post apparently.

Er, it's great you elaborated the general misconception, but my point is that these people base their opinion based on the success of the prior generation, who are having trouble finding jobs, because they got a degree that isn't sought after skill in society. So they plan college rather than "Hey I got a degree in super smash brothers melee, why aren't I sucessfuly, I went to college!"

No the top issue is they don't have experience, by far. Those are the two biggest factors that I have come to notice with my friends, some just want to run after their hobby, under the optimistic "Do what you love and you won't work a day in your life", where I choose never to work my hobby's as they will become stale and annoying to me.

It doesn't help that a 4Y degree is equilavent to what a high school diploma was 10 years ago.

15. Default

You need to go to Law School in order to learn how to fully collect unemployment benefits when you graduate. It helps if you have an undergraduate degree in Business & Accounting so you know where to store your savings so you can apply to the lowest poverty bracket.