Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Best way to start out is play with people who know about the game on low level accounts. I have one [level 8-10 forgot what it is] and can play with you. My main Id is the same as my SP ID. Play bots for a while until you get the basic basics then you can move on to other things. I would not worry about meta or anything like that until level 20+ at least. The most important things for a lower level to know atm are

- basic things
    - what champs do what
    - what diff types of champs are (AP, AD, tank, support, jungler)
    - How to build them skill and item wise in a general sense (cookie cutter)
    - only play certain champs until you get the hang of it

I would go unlock riot girl tristana (like their facebook page) and unchained alistar (liking their youtube channel). You can google it very easily. As what some people said, each week there are 10 free champions which rotate on monday/tuesday midnight. Of this week I would recommend

- Kogmaw (ADC)
    - Pantheon (bruiser)
    - Lux (AP carry)

Ashe is one of the best 450 IP (cheapest) champions to learn from and she is an ADC which teaches you a lot.

Also if you feel up to it, the last quarterfinals, 2 semi final matches of the world championships is wednesday 5pm PST. Also the grand finals is saturday at 6pm PST. It'll be a ton of information but it'd be good to watch it with someone. It's a good idea to watch them as you get better so you understand more things.

2. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Galio huh? Well free week rotations are every tuesday. c:

3. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Remember: there's a Garen in every bush. EVERY SINGLE BUSH. NEVER FACECHECK BUSHES.
    Using kog in games where you don't have a team to peel for you and don't have kiting or positioning down yet is a terrible idea.
    Trying to learn AP carries with Lux is also a terrible idea. There's way too much stuff to focus on and too much stuff to aim.

4. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Screw playing the champions people recommend to you. Play the ones you want to play.

I mean when I started playing I played Katarina because she's hot and Cho'Gath because it's an effing beast which looks vaguely like the hydralisk from Starcraft.

5. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Even in games where no one picks Garen, there's always a Garen in every bush.

One day, you'll be man enough (and smart enough) to decide when to facecheck bushes with calculated caution and get benefits out of doing so. Until that day, don't facecheck. And if you don't know what benefits I'm talking about, don't facecheck bushes.

To be fair, if you're going to ask people what champions to play, you have to say something =/ Preferably something tailored to your likes and playstyle xD

Maxims to getting better:
    -- If you're playing solo queue pvp, focus on how to improve yourself, not others.
    -- Always ask yourself how you could have prevented that bad situation.
    -- Be nice and don't rage. Master yourself.

6. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

I never did ask, though. :P I'm just experimenting with whichever and seeing what playstyle suits me best because lord knows I'll get a general recommendation with well over 100 champs to choose from.

I'm honestly too nice to rage. Raging (or at the very least, showing said rage in public) is just not me.

7. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Then you are the 1%!

Actually a lot of people confuse "constructive criticism" as "rage". Not that I've had a problem with that or anything, but it's generally futile to teach strangers while the game is being played out. Maybe the Honor Initiative will change things.

8. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Or you can just run wriggles/buy wards and use a ward to check if you don't have a skillshot to do it for you.

9. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

^ I have no idea what any of this means so I'm gonna ignore it until I run into it the hard way.

10. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

He means SPAHCHECK invisible enemies with an item called a "ward", or whatever champion skills you may have that can see the invisible.

11. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Never go into a bush if you don't know what's waiting in there for you. There are items called wards which you can place that grant sight in an area for 3 minutes. Wriggle's Lantern is an item that has a passive that lets you place a free one every 3 minutes. Skillshots are spells that don't need to be targeted which means if you fire one into a bush and it stops like it's hit someone then chances are there's something not nice in that bush and you should back away.
    EDIT: Bush is basically what it sounds like. Enemies that are inside it can't be seen from outside it unless you have vision. Which kinda stops making sense when you realize that you can get a champion in there that's larger than the entire bush that's still invisible... but whatever. Fully Feasted Cho cares not for your petty constraints of space/time.

12. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Ignore what everyone is saying and just play some ARAMs with us.

Yes you have no idea what those are, but they're so fun.

13. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Watch other people play the game, like pro players and stuff. See what they do

14. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

-_- Low levels don't need to learn about that stuff to get the basics of the game. Most ADCs will teach you the basics of the game and kogmaw is one of them. An ADC that won't teach you the basics is draven because he works slightly differently and he is extremely hard to play.

Kogmaw is pretty pineappleing simple. So is ashe and tristana. You don't teach a brand new person advanced tactics when they barely know the in-game mechanics.

15. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Let's just say once he/she realizes that Kog'Maw is not great to play in solo queue cause it is solo queue, he/she's moving up in the world of LoL!

In the meantime, sufficient skill will allow you to faceroll (pwn) until you meet opponents that you recognize to be your match or thereabouts.

And then realize that, while it looks like they're doing good, you still don't know what exactly is going on. Maybe.

16. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Learn to last-hit, and when trying out a new champion, use a guide (pretty obvious).
    http://solomid.net/ is what I use, best site, ever.
    Have map awareness.
    Don't totally rely on your team, do as much as you can on your own so that you can carry your team to victory.
    And have fun

17. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

For the first few levels just have fun and get down the basics such as last hitting minions for gold. Play a variety of champions to get a feel for what you like to play (Mage, Ranged Attack, Melee Fighter, etc.)
    Bot games have a friendlier environment than PvP, for obvious reasons. You'll have a much more pleasant time playing with friends in PvP than queueing up solo.

Later on when you feel more comfortable you can branch out to jungling (taking neutral camps in the jungle and ganking (sneaking up on people for kills)) and learn about tactics like kiting (>>>Ashe, queen of kite), positioning, objectives, and more.

The learning curve is fairly steep so have fun and go at your own pace. Feel free to add me, my ign is Ressic. I'd be happy to play a few bots with you and give you some tips.

As mentioned before, solomid.net is great for guides, as well as lolpro.com

18. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

I keep seeing Kiting being mentioned but I still have no idea what that is.

19. Default Re: I finally did it - Tips for a Newbie.

Repeatedly hitting an enemy while he's chasing you, but can't get you.

20. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

It's the fancy art of hit and run. The enemy is chasing you, but you keep smacking them with long range attacks while you keep running away, dragging them along like a kite (hence the name).