Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

The flickering and disappearing bosses problem definitely has something to do with the way MapleStory handles graphics memory. The problem isn't exclusive to Vista/7 users, and I'd never personally experienced the problem until about a year ago, even though I switched to both OS's less than half a year after they came out. I believe the biggest issue is a bunch of unfixed memory leaks, and the reason it almost always shows up on Vista/7 is simply due to the fact that Vista/7 simply use more graphics memory in the first place.

I think a lot of D/C issues are also tied to running out of whatever memory is allocated. I'm not too knowledgeable on this stuff, so that's about as much as I can say.

Edit: The reason changing your graphics settings will temporarily solve the flickering issue...sometimes is because when you change your graphics settings, you also free a bunch of memory. Try opening up Task Manager while changing your settings after having played MS for some time.

2. Default

When the Hob PQ Patch came out, I noticed than MS was using more resources than normally. It's memory usage in the Task Manager was upwards to 700,000k, when it normally ran at around 200-400. Of course now it's back to normal after that emergency patch.

Is there any way to pinpoint the said memory leaks?

3. Default

I got a new window 7 computer and i never had any dc problems. I never tried a boss run on it thought.

4. Default

there you go. i dc changing channels sometimes too, although i don't think that is windows 7 only.

5. Default

I dc'd changing channels twice today. Happened when I changed to channels 2 and 1 when miniboss hunting. I never dc changing channels. I use XP.

6. Default

I think things worked okay for bossing pre-dual blade patch. I could zakum by switching resolutions (which is SHOULDN'T have to do), but as soon as the Dual Blade patch came in, my screeen glitches up or Zakum decides he doesn't like me and DCs me with his lightning. I only have a problem with the body and not the arms, so it's good for an arms run i guess...

I haven't scarlion'd in a while, but i assume it's equally the same problem when it switches bodies.

7. Lead Ball Straight Male
    IGN: Arrg
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 192
    Job: Viper
    Guild: Century (leader)
    Alliance: Foreigner
    Texas

Our runners on the zrun (in kms) we did in august still had the d/c issues, and there hasn't been any info about it since then. Our resident english-speaking korean said he had no idea what anyone kept talking about.

8. Default

I have no problems at bosses to be honest. I used to have the issue when the Visitor patch came out but ever since v.91 came out I only DC in Malasiya(this place is cursed) or if my internet cuts out. Other then that I don't have any issues what so ever and I should note I'm running on 32-Bit OS.

Question:Aren't the newer computers made with 32-Bit? Or is it just "random"?

9. Default

I agree with some of the previous posters about this dcing issue is got to do the age old dcing issue in zakum (where it would flash and disappear starting at the body), which is writing to out of bound memory. This on going "bug" was minor when the only version of windows is XP, but as Microsoft tighten up windows to make it "more stable" starting with Vista (also the same with Win7), the detection of processes accessing memory outside of the process's allocated data space has gotten more stringent to protect processes from corrupting system data areas to prevent BSOD, it now will terminate the (bad) processes a lot more than XP, hence the dcing issue we are seeing. It has nothing to do with "compatibility issues", all to do with memory over run bugs.
    I don't agree with having to completely re-write Maple client, as it is highly unlikely and its a very big task, and if Nexon don't track down those bugs but to just re-write another client, there is no saying they won't create the similar problem, just with different codes. Also with such a big coding project there bound to introduce other bugs. The best thing to do is try to track down those bugs and fix them, which I think thats what Nexon's intended to do with the eTracer (but they need to make it work a lot better, as it doesn't trigger most of the time when the client DCs).

10. Default

I've had dcing issues on my desktop ever since 2 years ago. Note that I've been playing with the same comp for 4 years or so, upgrading graphics card 3 times and so, and changed hard drive just a year ago or so when it crashed. When I first zakumed back in Dec 06 I believe, arms would summon and my screen will freeze after anywhere after 5 sec to 10 min in. I decided to change to a better card and I never froze or dc'ed from zakum again, this was with school's T1 connection. It's an Athlon XP 3000 with 1 gb of ram. Remember zakum runs used to be an hour or longer and usually consists of nearly full 30 people to fill in all the slots so no crashers can come. Never did I encounter graphics problem or freezing. Now, the very same comp with a better graphics card, I have trouble at zakum sometimes if I don't change my graphics regularly, I think it might be ram problem or my slow hard drive on there. I'm still using XP on that comp, and it's actually a clean install compared to my massive load of programs back in school. XP with vista/w7 graphics glitch, weird huh? Some say it's DirectX problems, some say it's memory, some say it's the way graphics is handled. I switched to an SSD on this laptop and I can tell you any portal I go in is very quick. You know how sometimes when you're done bossing and you change channel or go in cash shop, your maple will crash due to graphics glitch. I had that before on this laptop after each horntail run, but when I switched to SSD, it never happened again, ever. I personally believe maple is just really picky, you need good amount of ram, the right OS, fast HDD and ram, good graphics card but not too good. I seriously doubt big bang will fix it, if anything, it'll get worse. The programmers are bad at fixing it because their testers can't test things at the same calibre as us and they always tend to overlook things.

11. Default

Newer comps are 64-bit. I haven't tried to play Maple a lot on my Win7 64-bit laptop yet though, so I can't say for myself what problems will arise.

12. Default

So if a good chunk of these problems is related to graphics memory..... and if this is the theory many of us are going with... then this theory needs to be able to predict.

I predict the following: once Big Bang arrives, there will be even more issues with Windows 7/Vista compatability, not fewer.

Why? Many people will want the newer resolution. If what is being stated in this thread is true, there should be more problems up ahead because higher resolutions eat up more graphics memory.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

13. Default

Dammit cuz I'm getting a new comp for Christmas and I don't want any MS problems>.>

14. Default

Going to have to agree here.

From personal experience, I DC a lot less on KMS than I do on GMS. However, my laptop's incredibly touchy, and if I launch MS right after starting Windows, I won't DC at all.

15. Default

Till now, Scarlion and Targa is one of the few Vista/W7 friendly bosses that you can kill with a huge party

16. Default

i just assumed the new eTracer was a step for Nexon in order to get more info on "w7/vista problems".

i know for me that i've always used XP on both of my computers. when made a new computer with better specs, i still installed XP on it, however i DC in bosses on my new computer and not my older one. honestly i think it has more to do with your graphics card than your OS

17. Default

So you're saying the older the graphics card the better? Interesting.

18. Default

No. I'm just saying in my case the computer I DC on has a newer/better(more expensive) graphics card. For all I know it might not even be the graphics card but it would make sense

19. Default

i use a ssd and i still have that problem with crashing after a boss run sometimes.

20. Default

Yeah, that's the same way here. The only way I could get through an entire Zakum or Horntail run on JMS was to reboot my system beforehand and not let ANY other programs start up except for Maple.