Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

I've had plenty of Vista problems, I installed Vista SP 1 and I just did the "Hard Drive" lag thing. Let's see how they work.

I'm a real computer idiot though I followed your instructions blindly. You could have keylogged me for all I know.

2. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Server: Windia
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

I can guarantee you that nothing on here will keylog you. Of course, it doesn't necessarily mean much from the person you may or may not suspect. I wish you luck in fixing your issues. Though notedly, if you aren't too computer wise, make sure you think it through before you try anything.

At least back up your harddrive. If you happen to accidentally do something wrong, you could cause a few problems to your computer. Nothing that can't be fixed, but with little computer knowledge, you might find it challenging.

3. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Sorry about the zrun thing. :/ I ended up being able to scroll a helm that run and the few runs after that so i obviously didn't want to risk dying.

I use windows 7 now though and am trying to figure out if i'll have the same zak problems. Will post when i get that info.

4. Default

Changing your pagefile isnt necessarily a good thing, as XTOTHEL mentioned. Most of the time, you should just let windows handle it. Tho, I dedicate certain spaces on my drives to paging.

Having multi-drive paging works better than single drive paging, and having a continuous block allocated for paging is better than multi-blocks, which usually happen when you let windows allocate your pagefile. Thus, if you have a single drive, there's only 2 benefits in setting maximum paging: continuous block and lack of complaints of "your <whatever> drive is running low on space". However, if you're running multiple partition, always put your paging on the first partition, otherwise, it will likely to slow down your system.

Paging overhead comes from pagefaults, which causes swapping of data on/off RAM. Ideally, you don't want this to happen. Increasing the size of the pagefile will not decrease this, thus unlikely to give you any speed gains. Even multi-drive paging wont help with this. The only solution is to get more RAM to reduce your pagefault hits. Multi-drives paging does help with situations where you're loading apps from one HDD and cache from another concurrently.

So as XTOTHEL said, modifying your pagefile brings little comforts in most situations and it is too technical for the average user to comprehend.

5. Default

Wow it seems to work a lot better now. Thanks~

I didn't really expect you to keylog me I was just pointing out how slow I am.

6. GLADIGATORS
    usa

Zrun report on windows 7:

Nothing has changed. In fact, i'd say it's kind of worse. To show you what i mean, please refer to the following SS.

Spoiler

In vista, during 1st body i'd be fine for a few minutes then D/C. In windows 7, i don't D/C on 1st body, but i can't see any windows and zak's body flickers on and off like in the SS above. When i get to 2nd body, i D/C completely just like i did in vista.

I don't know if the changing quality fix works, and will find out tonight.

7. Default

Uhmmm. Am I supposed to do the Flash Drive and Hard Drive method to fix the lag, or just one.

8. Lazy Mathematician Female
    California

@ob3lisk: There's really no need to do both.

@takebacker: Thanks for the update. and uh... that's a new one to me. 0.o
    I haven't worked with windows 7 yet. Let us know if the graphics trick works.

9. GLADIGATORS
    usa

It does.

10. Default

This is an issue I've had since I purchased my new laptop some months ago. I have Windows Vista Ultimate Edition with SP1. My laptop is a Dell Studio XPS 16.

When I'm playing MS, I instead of just leaving both CTRL and ALT keys pressed to hit and/or jump continuously, I have to mash them, because my character won't attack or jump repeatedly if I leave them pressed, it just attacks or jumps once. I've checked my keyboard preferences, Googled it a thousand times, and I can't come to a solution to it. However, if I leave other keys, like A, S, D, F, or the rest of the alphabet pressed, it does repeat the skills continuously, unlike with CTRL and ALT, and also with the numeric keys.

Anyone knows a solution to this? Answers are very much appreciated, and thanks in advance!

11. Lazy Mathematician Female
    California

Updated with a solution for HackShield Initialization Error :0x00000203(515)
    This error is not vista specific.

12. Default

Here's a solution I've done for Vista, but mostly on x64 systems. The 32-bit systems seem to have more problems oddly, but these can help too.

1. Turn off UAC. Oddly enough you don't need it for any reason. It's absolutely the most useless feature Windows could have ever added. It's designed around controlling what is and isn't ran when something needs to run an application, especially malware. Honestly if you have an active virus and malware scanner, use a non-ActiveX web browser, and use some common sense you'll be fine.

2. Turn off Indexing of the Hard Drive. It's a waste of resources to search for files that only free up 5 to 10 seconds off a massive file search. For a gamer you're better off without it.

3. Turn on DEP for all programs on the system. In short make sure DEP sees everything going on. This also will spit out more diagnostic error codes.

4. Don't overdo installing software. Try to simply. Use multipurpose codecs for multimedia when possible. I recommend FFDshow for best results. This is how Vista and even 7 can get very messy. Plus if you have an x64 system, try to stick to installing either 32-bit or 64-bit software. Use one, not both. For productivity work I recommend getting 64-bit software, for gaming and general usage, get 32-bit software.

5. Avoid BETA drivers. These aren't finished drivers for official release. Unless you are extremely mindful of what your system is capable of, or you are a certified PC analyst and tester, stick to WHQL stuff. This is especially true for 32-bit users. Windows Update should have more than everything you need for Vista and 7 systems unless you are absolutely certain you need something from the chipset manufacturer. For laptop users, make sure you can use the original chipset manufacturer software before you install it, otherwise use what they have on their website.

6. Learn what can be turned off at startup. Anything that isn't made by Microsoft, your Anti-Virus, Anti-malware, and Firewall provider, and in rare cases, a few network tools, can be turned off. Stuff from Google, Apple, MSN, Adobe, and such don't need to be ran until the program they run with is actually running.

7. For Vista and 7 users... 2GB or RAM or more is a recommendation and a requirement for optimal operation. Remember a 32-bit system can't read more than 3.75GB.

8. Reputable software always helps. Memory leaks can often trigger a multitude of issues and bad software can really push these like crazy.

9. Try to use anti-virus and anti-malware software that has a low memory footprint. Norton's a good AV solution but it chews up memory. Avast free does just as good a job and doesn't burden your system as bad. Remember the flashier it is, the more CPU and memory it uses. Sometime Coroprate AV solutions are great as well. Compare Symantec Endpoint and Norton Internet Security and they're the same program, but with a major difference. SEP uses less resources for the same work load.

10. Defrag and Clean regularly. CCleaner is a great program to get rid of registry errors and Defraggler is a great for cleaning up the scattered files on the HDD. Run CCleaner weekly, and run Defraggler monthly. You'll thank yourself a few months down the line.

11. Every year have your PC serviced and cleaned out of dust and debris. A clean PC is a healthy PC and a healthy PC is a working PC.

13. Default

Every YEAR!?!? Jamie I'm shocked! I didn't know you were so lazy! It's every 2-3 months!

And FFDShow Tryouts<3 with Win7DSFilterTweaker! And <3 post processing goodies with forced smooth playback from the graphics card. Well that's the closest thing to DXVA I can get. Since FFDshow can't get post processing with DXVA going too properly yet, this is the best alternative and max use of both CPU and GPU for multimedia playback (h264 usually).

Oh yeah, output is NV12.

14. Default

So I've had this laptop for 5+ months now (got it used frommy parents) and not only maple, but pretty much any game (I mainly try to plaY LoL now) will drop to an incredibly low fps every few minutes and make almost any game unplayable, maple included. Would this be due to my graphics card or ram or what? I'm currently performing a system recovery to restore it to factory setttings to see if that helps, but I'm scared it won't last long.
    I'll get specifics on the system after it's done resetting.

15. Lazy Mathematician Female
    California

Yeah that'll help. If it's used, then one problem that affects anyone regardless of system is if there's junk in the computer itself. I don't recommend taking it apart on your own though if you've never done it before.

But that doesn't HAVE to be your issue. We'll know more on what to say when you're done posting.