Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

Game forums becoming a dying era, we’re seeing their final breaths.

I wonder if my kids will even understand how a forum worked. Why wouldn’t you just use discord, right? Ahaha

2. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

Honestly same but.. Yknow it's kinda becoming a passion project. The breed will likely go extinct in Japan in our lifetime (and kishu ken will likely go extinct completely/worldwide in our lifetime).

Ill hopefully be showing my boy in Canadian kennel club shows and maybe UKC shows in the US. Now I just need to expand my wardrobe to middle age Bank teller so I can be appropriately dressed for said shows 😂

3. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

4. Lead Ball Male
    IGN: Ivangoldes
    Server: Now Bera
    Level: 258
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Olimpo/OnePoint
    Alliance: Aliança
    Farm: Ivangold/Farmnamedmg
    brazil

Dam 2 pages already.

I missed the golden age of SP, i guess today forums aren't going to be used by players.

The cake was leeeeeeeegendary my guy.

5. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

Good times : )

6. Water Female
    IGN: PlsBuffBT
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 22x
    Job: Beast Tamer
    Guild: Path
    Alliance: Meme
    Farm: Yeiionde
    england

Man I miss browsing this place like back when it was active. Reddit and Discord just aren't the same.

7. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i still don't like reddit/discord compared to forums. forums are just so much more... tidy and nice in how topics are separate.
    oh well, southperry can always gloat that it outlived both ellinforest AND basilmarket. even if it did so while on a wheelchair connected to life support.

as far as i'm concerned, the cake was a lie

i'm actually curious why they're going extinct, feel free to talk my ear off.

8. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

Agreed. Having a public an busting forum is more attractive than private discussion servers. Long term posts are also easier to navigate and find information through. Reddit's style is also not the most attractive I've seen.

9. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

I wanna thank everyone for stopping by, this was fun.

See ya in another 10 years :D

10. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

So is fiel's old extractions still around?

11. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

I missed that historic moment of Fiel eating his shirt.

Are there any vids of it?

12. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

What, is having an entire discord not enough? :p

13. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

My thoughts are probably a bit all over with this, because some context is needed.

So that's a big thanks to the COO (country of origin), Japan. There are 6 breeds classified as Nihon Ken: Akita Inu, Kai Ken, Kishu Ken, Shikoku Ken, and Shiba Inu. Akita Inu are stable in numbers and there's an entire separate preservation society for them located in Akita City. "NIPPO (Nihon Ken Hozonkai)” is the Japanese Dog Preservation Society with one mission: To preserve and maintain the registries of the native Japanese dog breeds: The Akita Inu, Hokkaido, Kai Ken, Kishu, Shikoku, and Shiba Inu. NIPPO is the default governing club for the Shiba, Shikoku, and Kishu. The other three breeds can be registered and shown with NIPPO, but the Kai, Hokkaido, and Akita have their own breed clubs and are often not. That being said, the number of NIPPO registrations for 2020 were pretty sad.

It's not really possible to give an exact number for how many Nihon Ken were actually born and registered in Japan for any given year. The reason for this is that there are dual registrations (ie none of the 20 JKC registered Shikoku were actually JKC bred. They are transfers from NIPPO), and some of the registries allow registration of pups born overseas (NIPPO, KKA, AKIHO), and those totals are included in the registry total. But these numbers give us a general idea of where the breeds are headed. It's a sad day for the Shikoku, as last year less than 200 were born in Japan (I know that more than 20 of the registered pups were born overseas). This means the breed continues to hold the dubious distinction of being the rarest of the 6 Nihon Ken (in Japan anyway).
    Shiba (NIPPO) 27,300 (JKC) 9,262

Akita (AKIHO) 3323 (JKC) 258

Kai (KKA) 914 (NIPPO) 87 (JKC) 93

Hokkaido (HKH) 222 (HKK) 67 (JKC) 25 (NIPPO) 12

Kishu (NIPPO) 265 (JKC) 1

Shikoku (NIPPO) 219 (JKC) 20

JKC (Japan Kennel Club) tends to be more of a pet registry. Anyone interested in preserving and helping with the breed registers through NIPPO. Pets (term used for spayed/neutered animals in this context) are fine, but when it comes to breeds having such low numbers in the COO, breeding these dogs with the intention of placing it in a pet home instead of keeping it intact is a dangerous game to play.

A majority of people in Japan live in tiny apartments. Toy breeds and Shiba Inu are very popular due to this, and the medium native breeds are suffering.

There's also just not that many young people in Japan that are interested in preserving these breeds. So as the older generation retires from breeding, there's no one to pick up where these breeders left off.

Shikoku may be okay outside of the COO. The next 20-30 years will be very telling. The breed is gaining enough traction that there may be hope for their survival. There is a single breeder here in Canada, and about 6 in the US. There's 4-5 in Russia, 1 in Israel, 1 in Brazil (? may be another South American country), and about 6 in Europe. Which isn't a lot when you compare the number of (responsible, fully OFA health testing) breeders of say, goldens, poodles, labradors, border collies, etc.

I am currently working with a breeder in Europe to import a male that would help diversify NA bloodlines (pending he passes proper health tests and has two balls...cryptorchidism and monorchidism is a thing lol). At this point in time I do not plan on breeding the dogs myself as I am just not comfortable with the responsibility of whelping and raising puppies. There's a lot to it to do so properly and not fall under the 'backyard breeder' category. But with a male, I can keep him intact and work with breeders along the west coast of the US.

The breeder in Canada is actually an hour north of me, and I had plans to co-own a dog with her but with this breed it is adamantly important to be transparent about potential health issues, and, well, issues overall that may pop up within the breed. She has done a lot for the breed in Canada but if I'm going to be working with someone on this, it needs to be someone I can vibe with and trust 100%. So I'll take traveling to the US to help out the people I know I can trust and ask any question to, and get a straight answer.

As far as Kishu Ken extinction goes, take all of the above but factor in a few things:

1) They are boar hunting dogs, and are still used for this by some Japanese. They can be very intense at times, but also have a good off switch when inside the home. Despite that, they don't have the best reputation, even in Japan. I believe that I read there is a certain stigma surrounding them, similar to how American Pit Bull Terriers are here in NA.

2) As one of the Kishu Ken breeders has said themselves, "the dogs appearance is unremarkable". That shouldn't necessarily be a factor, but it is. People like dogs for their looks and I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se. They tend to have shorter coats, and a majority of the breed population is white. So most of the dogs look like this-- a typical spitzy, lanky looking dog that many people may mistake for a mix of some sort.Red and sesame/agouti coloring does exist within the breed, but isn't exclusively what is being bred for (at some point the coefficient of inbreeding has to be considered above color, but there are those trying to keep the colored coats from completely being removed from the genepool). Shikoku, in comparison, have a striking appearance that will initially draw people to the breed

I feel like I could talk about this for a long time haha. If you have further questions I'm happy to answer the best I can.

14. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

Reddit more than Discord, I would say.

15. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

16. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

I agree. Reddit and Discord have killed off forums/irc for most people.

17. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

not even discord. reddit alone did it with imho.

18. Default Re: SP dying is retribution for removing Funhaus

howdy yall