Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening / Grave Pissening

So Nexon has decided to go back and dig up Masteria's corpse once more to mess with it. They've added a few new questlines, so now the chronological order is as follows:

Part 1: Masteria Introduction - a new mini-questline added in this patch
    2. Masteria Through Time - the blockbuster we all know and love to hate
    3. NLC - a new theme dungeon-esque story added in this patch with some new maps and mobs in the jungle area, as well as a few new BGMs
    4. Phantom Forest / Crimsonwood - similar to the above, with redesigned maps and mobs - coming out in January 2020
    5. MesoGears / Masteria Part 2, the conclusion for now - coming out in January 2020

I'm not hopeful for the story. In any case, I'll add the new NLC mobs here:

Spoiler

Important thing of note: they removed all the HP / MP potions that NLC was most known for. We can still get Ginger Ales in Ninja Castle, but now it'll be available in a coin shop when they re-release the Phantom Forest in January.

Edit: a tour video of Krakian Jungle, courtesy of Steve / x3TheAran59

Crimsonwood mob redesigns (added elite mobs as of February 1, 2020):

Spoiler

I'll link to the questline videos through here (new and old), since I can't post more than 3 videos in a single comment.
    Parts 1 and 3:
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread...=1#post1322355

Parts 4 and 5:
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread...=1#post1322368

Original NLC and Crimsonwood:
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread...=1#post1322369
    Last edited by PirateIzzy; 2020-02-02 at 11:31 PM.

2. Lead Ball Male
    IGN: Ivangoldes
    Server: Now Bera
    Level: 258
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Olimpo/OnePoint
    Alliance: Aliança
    Farm: Ivangold/Farmnamedmg
    brazil

Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

They removed the op potions with the robot npc, wtp man i didn't farm many of them....

3. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

As well as the potions from Miki. Kind of says something when MapleSEA, a version that outright deleted NLC, was willing to keep the potions by moving the potions to Henesys Market.

Granted, we can buy the potions in Ninja Castle, but I don't expect it to stay long.

4. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

Better restock then reeee

5. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

Wow. I really hate what they did to the art style.

6. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

Anyone knows how to get to NLC?
    Guide isn't letting me tele nor can find the npc.

7. Helium Atom Straight Male
    IGN: Combobro
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 230
    Job: Aran
    Guild: SolarWinds
    Alliance: Dominion
    Arizona

It's on the dimensional mirror

8. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

Man part of me loves the old style of many games, Maple is one of em in some stuff, i noticed every old skill has a different background than newer ones, the new ones is white and old ones is a light grey, maybe that's why they have a different feel to it.

9. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Same.
    Especially the "corrupted" mobs.

One of the special things about Maplestory is the bright colors and cute mobs, even when they're deadly. Even Nexon knows this, which is why the mascot they use for the game is Pink Bean (along with the iconic Orange Mushroom, Slime, and Yeti).
    But lately they've gone "dark and edgy". Which I suppose is OK for extreme high level areas like the Labyrinth of Suffering (level 250 just to enter), giving a "this is where things get serious" vibe. But to use the same art style for a level 170 area? No. I don't like it. Phantom Forest managed to be spooky enough even while brightly colored.

But my main objection to this revamp, beyond aesthetics and nostalgia, and without knowing yet what the new Phantom Forest holds, is the amount of resources spent on it.

They spent so much time and effort, completely rewriting the story, redesigning monsters, adding new equipment, and probably also adding new game mechanics (which is why, I suspect, they couldn't get it done on time. If it was just more of the usual maps, npcs, monsters, kill-and-collect quests, it wouldn't be so badly behind schedule)...
    If they just left Masteria alone, they (the Overseas team) could have
    - given Jett a proper revamp, instead of this half-assed attempt at making it faster to level as a mule (and it doesn't even work for that)
    - fixed our Reward Point purchase limits to be per-world, as intended, instead of giving up and leaving it per region
    - fixed Alishan instead of removing it
    - finished Blackgate instead of removing it
    - tweaked Twisted Aqua to be useful instead of removing it
    - fixed the still glitchy Monad and Julietta
    and gotten back to older issues, like:
    - fixed Captain Vaga instead of removing it (this one really puzzles me, because Captain Vaga was not GMS-exclusive and belongs to the same global story arc this revamp supposedly ties Masteria into)
    - added CWKPQ back in some form
    - fixed Mr. Lee instead of removing it
    and in general fixed GMS-specific bugs that are languishing forever, like Arkarium's Snakes and their physical immunity, or the Nautilus Exploration Achievement that some people can't complete.
    Why, they might even have had time left to add some of the Quality of Life changes we've been asking for, like registering some non-KMS medals in the collection, adding a toggle on UI transparency during combat, or introducing bigger coin purses (instead, we get 3 new coin types that we need to somehow make ETC space for...)

But no, all of that is not as important as destroying a unique old area to make it align with their fanfic of it.

10. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

I'll give GMS credit for a few things: they were not the only ones to remove Alishan, Blackgate, Twisted Aqua, Mr. Lee, or Captain Vaga (the latter 4 have been removed in all versions, not just GMS), but the rest I can completely agree with. Alishan and Twisted Aqua also originally came from TMS and CMS, respectively.

11. Orbital Bee Cannon

I suspect the reason they put so many resources into Masteria is that it's intended to be distributed to other services as well. So, if they never worked on it, they could have saved those other bits of content for all versions that had them.

12. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

The weird part to me is that MapleSEA removed Masteria, yet they still have Monad. I do expect our new Masteria to reach China and Taiwan, since those are the only other services that have kept up with Masteria changes so far.

13. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

They removed those months ago. A bit of an emergency fix to remove the supply once they realized they existed when they were working on the new content, I suppose.
    They didn't really have that much of an effect anyway since the boost is added ontop and not subject to multipliers. So whenever I'd use even a Jugajuice (+1000 matk) I'd still only gain like 1 million range.

14. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

Elderwraith looks better.

I'm mixed on the trees. I can't tell if I prefer the old simplified designs or the new detailed designs. It's just something about the new designs that seem off... I wonder how they work on the map now too.

They... Butchered the clans or whatever they were called. 3 of those designs weren't the best, but going from where they were to generic and samey? Eh. Stormbreaker is the only one that I think looks decent. I may warm up to the new Firebrand but in the era of Waifus and with the transformation gimmick looking gone, I don't know.

I actually like the new Headless Horseman, and the new bosses look cool.

15. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

The trees work like Krexel now, where their "faces" are separate mobs that spawn onto trees in the background; I just edited the faces onto the full tree sprites, with the exception of the Large Phantom Tree, which is as you see it above. Here are the face sprites:
    Spoiler

And here's one of the updated maps:
    Spoiler

You echoed my sentiment on the new mobs, since they all look the same.

16. Orbital Bee Cannon

Isn't that how they always were? The tree mobs spawned onto trees in the background, so you couldn't easily tell which tree was harmless and which would attack if you came too close.
    Only difference is that they were an entire tree rather than just a face.
    (Does this mean the hitbox for the new trees is just their face, then?)

17. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

The original trees were entire trees as you described, but once you defeated them, the tree would disappear altogether (and usually they wouldn't be aligned properly against the trees in the background, so it would be a lot more noticeable). I can't say about the hitbox though; they may have adjusted the hitboxes to account for this.

18. Default Re: Masteria Revamp 2019 - The Dead Horse Beatening

I wonder how NXProse is doing nowadays

19. Neon Atom
    IGN: Hellstinger
    Server: Broa
    Level: 250
    Job: F/P Archmage
    Guild: Kingliner/Onmyouji
    Farm: Melody
    canada

Sentiments towards NXProse as well.

Swear whoever came up with the revamp needs to be sent through a few tables. Preferably actual physical tables, though would also be fine with a spreadsheet showing how badly they screwed the pooch on the GMS player base in terms of user data as well. Pity some of the current staff seem to be flipping the bird to the GMS player base as a whole.

Just sick and tired of the "Blockbuster" format that has been used to death to this point where it's no longer even worth the read.

Thought the whole thing felt like a lazy mess showing up. Right now it feels like the aliens in Masteria again with a terrible idea that should have been binned instead of being brought forth. I suppose it's coming from doing the content as a higher level player as well as running with one at level. Not a fan of Corine's recolour to blue or the fact that the entire race is/was an entire bloomin' blue man group. If I wanted to see lots of azure folk, I'd watch Star Trek with the Andorian people. Also have to deal with more bloody tropical aesthetics in a game where we've got more than enough tropical locales.