IGN: Ivangoldes
    Server: Now Bera
    Level: 258
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Olimpo/OnePoint
    Alliance: Aliança
    Farm: Ivangold/Farmnamedmg
    brazil

Default The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

Ok, this should be long, so .

Korea have a diferent mindset than USA, or i more say East vs West, in East they value more hardwork and dedication to something, in this case, MapleStory is a game with a lot of grind, something that today's MMORPG doesn't have nearly as much, yet MapleStory still is full and now more than even Pre-bb.

I see how in KMS even the strongest players have to put a certain amount of effort to get things, a lot of times i see people cubing itens since there aren't that many perfect potential equip to buy as here(acessorys are all untradeable upon use), with a lot harder chance to tier up, there will be less people with unique itens, anyone with unique or legendary itens had to put effort, level is another exemple, as cheap you can make the road to 250 and now 275, there's no Kishin to nearly double your exp and making you get 240~~250 in even one week for a lot of cases.

Now more than ever Nexon Korea wants to do a fixed meta, so things like Gollux eqps or Sweetwater won't likely happen there, since they don't want to people to progress too fast and surely not make the past work of people too useless, making Maple more of a long journey to actually progress, but your progress actually pay off, since unlike GMS with constant changes, Korea stayed mostly the same since 2015, your effort have more value in a way and you certanly progress with hardwork, unlike in GMS where people can powerthrought levels and strenght due to hackers and other things, missing this journey of hardwork and making everyone euforic to progress fast and beat the latest boss, alongside the culture of Weast that is diferent from East make a game that you need put a lot of hardwork to progress so little in comparison to others boring or ilogic.

Korea, Japan and China are examples of this idea, and type of people who will conform more, which problably helps people enjoy a long game that rewards a times instead of quick rewards evertime you win or make yourself win.

The SoloStory also come from the perspective the people have living there and other things which i would rather discuss in other post(since might be too long or too much for 1 post at first glance).

That's not to say somethings could change in KMS, it's just they are trying so hard to balance everthing to almost make a sologame possible even, anything can break their balance, making things like Gree Potion change attack speed cap, easyer chance to tier up in GMS, hackers and other things that make impossible to any version to be 'balanced'' aside from KMS.

2. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

Another key point is their stable economy, with no hackers varying prices and les people able to control parts of the economy makes a better economy for every player, with so many players it's a lot diferent to balance uptates, itens and things like dailyes that gives mesos compared to GMS overall, that manly depended on itens to get money since any mesos you got from monsters/etc would be almost worthless, almost removing a part of every word/server in KMS, dailyes, that goes beyong than just RP that aren't that effective alone or symbols that are a must overall.

KMS will never truly change until Korea itself change, or maybe Nexon see profit and a better game/meta in a party-play oriented game, which i prefer .

3. Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

Isn't JMS hemorrhaging money?

Quarterly Earnings Q2

I don't believe there are many players in JMS left but I haven't got anything but speculation and rarely see any JMS youtube videos.

Hackers still exist in all regions of the game, even KMS.

4. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

Far less hackers in KMS make a significant diferent game, they problably have 100 times less impact than in GMS/EMS/Msea, problably what make the game a lot better is the lack of hackers and dupers with a huge impact in the economy and gameplay, even Reboot has it problems even thought it got no trade system.

I gave the exemple of the East as an exemple, but Korea is diferent from China or Japan when comes to gaming and even more Maplestory

I think unlike Korea, Japan doesn't have incentive to the hardcore gamimg aspect, problably helps people play less aside from other aspects i imagine impact more than Maplestory which you showed as well.

5. Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

I think personally it's just enough with the daily quests. There are way too many to do, they can do their V care all they want the problem is the time it takes to complete a symbol like Vanishing Journey,Esfera and Morass, nearly a year. The bare minimum should be 10 symbols per day. It's tiring with maplestory cause it's more than ever a second job just to remain relevant to boss or train efficiently.

It just feels like Nexon as a company is going towards Mobile markets at a near 80% focus. They just acquire more and more mobile developers and their desktop games for the most part flop or get sold off when they aren't profitable anymore. Atlantica got sold off, DFO got sold off, it'll be a year before Tango 5 Reloaded, Riders of Icarus, Hyper Universe and Duel of Summoners are just removed from the nexon launcher. Nexon's problem is they can't find the niche and their reputation is so stained in the North American market that recovering from that is going to take serious work.

Seriously the list of games nexon attempted to release in the NA region is astounding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexon

Poptag, Kartrider, Duel of Summoners flopped hard in Korea and is closed(closing Nov 1. Global), DFO, Dragon Nest, Lawbreakers, Sudden Attack, Vindictus is closing/closed in Japan. The list is only going to continue to grow.

Tango 5 Reloaded had no interest and won't fully release, so says their developer post.

6. Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

Yeah, pretty much.

Koreans are fine with super hardcore grinding and pay2win, even if newer kMMOs are moving away from those. (Closers is a rather new Nexon Korea game I was able to manage to maintain endgame status on for multiple characters before I quit without spending a cent on the game.) We're not.

Koreans are fine with the insane requirements and investment it'll take to fight the proper endgame Black Mage battle. We wish they'd do something with Arcane Force and maybe cut the 200-250 EXP requirements by 50% or higher..... (I hear 249-250 is like 6% EXP per hour, WITH Kanna, EXP buffs, etc.) Maybe add more sources of money so Reboot isn't spent mostly farming money on Kanna. (And what happens when I want to level up that Kanna past level 150 for Legion purposes?)

I pretty much gave up on 200+ content and am just leveling up alts whenever I bother to sign on now. And it's really problematic trying to remain signed on my main account, my Bishop mule account, and my Kanna mule account when the game is prone to crashing.

7. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

I agree man, i think you got something i didn't know, the focus on mobile, but did they replace the desktop workers for mobile? Seens really dumb considering it's diferent games for diferent system, yes cell phones are getting better, but will never be like PCs.

Daily quests is terrible for me, a mission should be more remembered, specially bosses that now we kill in 1hit to do dailyes or something like that, in pre-bb even noob bosses were still somewhat special since you would't go to kill em every single day
    Since mobile gets far more money, and N$xon wants money, no reason to stay and grow the desktop.....i guess we wil need to wait some other company to get maple in GMS or i don't know, KMS is really full so no way it will change.

Aside from the fact that dailyes can use so much time that seens people don't play the game anymore...

8. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

I think you can gain 12% instead of 6%, maybe people sucks at trainning or they are using JUST kishin+x2 cupons, if they use x2 cash cupons can be 12%, in Esfera i could reach 16% with the same multipliers or 4% without kishin and x2 cash shop cupons.

9. Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

That figure I got was from someone on Reboot, where cash 2x coupons aren't available.

10. Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

They should still be gaining about the same if they 1HKO, though (which I believe is a reasonable assumption, even with the increased HP on Reboot), Reboot monsters give 2.5x~3x more EXP than on normal servers.

11. Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

Maplestory would still be relevant if Nexon showed as much dedication and care to the game as other companies do to theirs. Look at league of Legends, Dota2, Fortnite, Overwatch and etc. The teams managing these games are always watching over them, polishing, ironing, balancing them and specially listening to the players. That is also why KMS is more popular than GMS. Even if not to the same extent, they do watch over the game and the input from the player base and make adjustments. GMS might try a little bit, but its far too overdue and then it's also limited due to the distance between the game offices and the actual game developers.

Nexon is still stuck in this old business model of "release as many games as possible and eventually one will succeed". In the end they endnwith a bunch of floops while those games that could succeed end up missing their chance because of the lack of investment.

12. Brick Male
    IGN: ZeroCA
    Server: Windia
    Level: 21x
    Job: Zero
    Guild: EssentiaI
    Alliance: N/A
    Farm: ReneMule
    usa

all the games you listed have something in common that maplestory doesn't have: they're all competitive in nature

their market is vastly different in the us, whereas in asian countries there is much more overlap between the populations

the biggest downfall for nexonna is that, aside from the whole "nexonna is incompetent lol xd" memes, nxkorea simply doesn't care enough to funnel resources into it

whether it be due to the difference in gaming or other laws, the way nexon wants to expand, or whatever, this is it imho

13. Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

Forgive me, but in what world is KMS balanced? What part of this game is "hard work"? Certainly not the RNG tier ups, or the RNG flames. Monotonous grind =/= hard work. And that's ignoring that you can just money-power your way through KMS as well - it's just more expensive.

The reason KMS does better than GMS is very likely solely cultural differences.

14. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

Well that cultural diference and the lack of hackers in the server that make the game diferent there, people can't power throught like in GMS to get anything, even if you buy stuff, you pay more or need to rely on the RNG of cubing, it's not easy to progress, and the monotonous grind they do have some progress since even the dailyes from bosses have impact, symbols are another thing that for now, you can't get without using time on the game, and they are very impactful in the bosses of arcane river, aside from the stats gained from it.

15. Default Re: The main reason Korea Maplestory is more popular than Global Maplestory

They definitely have botters, at least.

I think the two major groups are the ones that bot for level 10 herbalism stuff and the ones that bot for nodestones.

There's a few threads about why Nexon isn't doing anything about macroers on the wishlist board on Inven. There's also people who hunt for them and post vids about it on YouTube.