View Poll Results: A Pre Big bang server that costs $ (a one time fee) to join?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would pay but only if there were perks

0 0%
  • Pre Big bang? I'm out

4 36.36%
  • Paywall? I'm out

2 18.18%
  • I would be willing to pay a little $

3 27.27%
  • I would be willing to pay a medium amount of $

2 18.18%
  • Down with bots, I would pay a lot for this!

0 0%
  1. Default What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

My first reaction when I heard about this idea from somewhere was to flinch but I wonder if it could work? Since it would be a version that is not the current one, offering it as premium content almost sounds plausible. If there was a fee (only paid one time per account) required to make characters on the server, it would be a minor annoyance but the cost could actually have benefits. Under this system, when a bot gets caught they would actually be gone. Whoever was behind the bot could make another but they would have to keep paying to do so.

If the price was right, I believe that there could be interest in such a server. The version might not even matter very much. (although I think it would be better if people had a chance to vote on which one to have a hand in choosing the fate of the server) Most likely with no updates except for bug fixes and events.

PreBB + a Paywall
    What do you think? How much would people be willing to pay and/or what would be a good price? Should it come with perks or should it just be for gaining access?
    Good idea?
    Not great idea?

2. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

Amazing how these threads get 4000+ views and no comments

3. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

Who knows, it may be just as well if there aren't enough players left with an interest in discussing parts of Maple in constructive ways. I remember the days when you could freely talk about nearly anything from the game and in fact, many spirited conversations between smart people took place on this very forum. If the general mindset has changed so much that now everyone has to have the same opinion or there is only one "acceptable" way to think (like some kind of Borg collective or something) than I will happily accept any pomegranates that I can get.

4. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

I think the main consensus here is that you haven't added anything to the discussion... you just keep beating the dead horse every few months (and this has been pointed out to you numerous times...) and expect some new and enlightening discussion. If you want a pre-big bang server, play a private server. I hear a new one just opened like 2-3 months ago or something and it's starting from v.01 with 1x rates across the board - Nexon will never do something like this. It's time to move on, dude.

5. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

(Kind of contradicted yourself there by saying that the horse is dead and yet mention Private servers (whom shall remain nameless) where there are players with a high level of interest for Pre big bang)

I am glad that this was brought up though.
    Because there are 2 major reasons why a Pre big bang type of server could be worthwhile.
    For one, Pizza slices are not for everyone. It may very well be that somewhere out there exists the best darn pizza slice on the planet but no matter how good such a server is, a certain amount of players will not go near it. Which is understandable.

More importantly is what I would refer to as "permanence". Pre Big bang Maple is a long term game so if a player wants to get invested, it would be a benefit if there was some extra assurance that the server is not going to disappear one day or mysteriously get closed down.

Furthermore I would be willing to pay money to see a server where the report button actually eliminated bots. (more so than normal anyway due to the start up cost) Try and imagine it, a Maple server that is not ruled by bots.

6. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

Read my post again... no contradiction took place. I said NEXON will never do this. It simply will not happen. And yes, there is SOME interest still out there for a pre big bang server, but... it doesn't really amount to much. Maple is old, dude. Maple was around during the golden time of MMOs, where they were still fairly new in the Western market, and we were all young and grew up playing them. The golden years of Maple just simply won't happen again.

7. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

Ok that is an opinion and I can acknowledge that but it doesn't mean that an opinion can speak on behalf of Nexon. (most players don't know what Nexon will or won't do)

Bringing back the good times of Maple is not quite what I am aiming for. I'm actually more interested in (A) there being a platform where thoughts can be freely expressed and (B) the discussion about potential servers. If everything comes together and a Pre Big bang server gets made then that is great but its not technically my goal. I would like it if that happened but it is something that Nexon needs to decide on its own terms. I like talking about it either way.

I'm sure that MMO's have a long history and all of that but this particular idea is only for Maple and only in this specific instance. Placing a price tag on something that used to be free is not something that just any game can do. If I believed that the system had no chance of being successful then I would not have mentioned it but I did and I do think that it could be a success.

In Free to play games, the general order of operations is for people to come in, try out gameplay and then maybe spend x amount of money in micro transactions. If someone tried to ask players to spend up front for an average game in this genre it would probably bomb because a lot of Free to play MMO's are generic reskins, etc, etc, etc. and usually not very good "games". (except for maybe one or two gimmicks here and there)

What distinguishes Pre Big bang Maplestory is that it already had (still has?) an established fan base and proven market value. Obviously it is not the perfect game, if there is such a thing but there was plenty to like about it just as it was. Questions about content? Does anybody know how long it really took to clear all 200 levels of Pre big bang? You would need to ask Tiger or someone but for the standard person there was easily one year or more of play time involved depending on what version is being referred to. (not all at once, this is just a ballpark estimate) Maybe even longer for a first time player. Additionally it was not a requirement to hit the maximum level in order for it to feel like an accomplishment. At level 70 or even level 10, a player could leave the game and still feel like they had achieved something.

Under normal circumstances a pay wall is not a great idea but I think if it were done in a reasonable way for Pre big bang then it could be a big hit. Its not so much about trying to show if Old or New Maple can beat the other one, it is simply about trying to give the audience as many options as possible.

People that would like to play Pre Big bang do exist, whether its returning veterans or total novices.

8. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

Since when does having to pay to play remove bots? I think the vast majority that still play do so because it requires nothing.

9. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

I cant really say for certain but on a newly created server, I think a paywall would be very effective in slowing down or stopping any invasion of bots.
    Last edited by Pikamemnon; 2017-10-31 at 05:49 AM.

10. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

I won't vote mainly because I have multiple things I'd select. 1. No pre big bang 2. no paywall.

11. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

Plus there's no "This whole thing is ri-god-damned-diculous" option.

12. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

PLaying pre big bang maplestory nowadays would simply suck really bad. Gaming has changed, we have changed, what worked back then wont work anymore in todays game comunity. If it came out we may try it and enjoy it but it will run boring really quick because we are more worn out of the game than it has changed.

13. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

Fair enough

I would ask if you could be more specific but I'm not sure if I should since this appears to be G8 b8 m8te.

Um, not relevant?

There is truth in that it could apply to some players but most definitely not all players. Many might not realize it but the core game loop of Maple and similar games has not changed all that much over time. The only big differences are in the amount of bells and whistles that have been added. (some of which are quite neat) But to rephrase that, if someone does not want to eat ice cream unless it has fudge on top then the question is how much did they like the ice cream in the first place? Maybe that particular kind of ice cream is not for them? Perhaps the person would get more enjoyment out of a bowl that is filled with nothing but fudge?

14. Default Re: What are your thoughts about a Pay 2 play Pre Big bang server?

Maybe the game won't be for us, but for the new generations to come. Everything is a cycle and this kind of gaming will eventually return.