Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

As I recall, around the time that Reboot came out, most people who wanted a new server were asking about some form of Pre big bang or Supreme. Either of which could have encouraged more players to not leave and helped the community stick together. Something must have gone wrong because instead Reboot was released, which may have started with good intentions but split what was left of the community even further. To put a cherry on top, I would be really surprised if Reboot was not losing money compared to the standard servers.

GG
    RIP Nexon
    Last edited by Pikamemnon; 2017-04-24 at 08:36 PM.

2. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

Oh... a Pikamemnon thread.

3. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

No one tell him how reboot failed in kms.

4. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

genuinely grateful he made another thread I was starting to get withdrawals.

5. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

Dunno if its a coincidence but I had noticed that one KMS forum had gotten a little quiet.
    Last edited by Pikamemnon; 2017-04-26 at 03:39 PM.

6. Lead Ball Male
    IGN: Ivangoldes
    Server: Now Bera
    Level: 258
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Olimpo/OnePoint
    Alliance: Aliança
    Farm: Ivangold/Farmnamedmg
    brazil

Er, look, i'm surprised you made a post like this after like 2 years since Reboot came out, or 1 year and a half, i mean it's quite obvious that nexon don't intend to do a old pre-bb server.

Reboot have more sense on the pay2win aspect, maple is getting somewhat less pay2win, you can enjoy more content without needing to pay and 5job really helps with that too.
    So Reboot was interesting to not have a possibility to pay your way up but to put effort, the thing about Reboot in in KMS(with a low popularity, like comparing GRAZED with reboot in GMS, far less people) is that you progress slower than the actual normal server(Kobe, IslingGunz sayed that), so not much people play there, besides on how heavily the stuff is basead on nx, and it's easyer to buy nx, since most ppl already live in Korea.

7. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

I almost forgot about this one. I guess it couldn't hurt if I elaborated for a little a while since that is more fun.

A more serious title I could have used is that Reboot has the potential to help sink or save Maplestory.

Does anyone remember Wonderking? Years ago there was this one person on the Maple forums who went around spreading the word about it before the mods caught them I assume. I didn't play Wonderking but the screenshots looked interesting and it seemed like a game I might try some day. From what I heard, before Wonderking shut down there were several rumors and signs that the end was near. One of these was that in the final days, hackers swarmed in and nearly took over the servers. I cant confirm it and supposedly there were also internal problems but the lesson from the story is that unchecked hacking/ botting is not a good sign.

So right now Maplestory has Reboot and non Reboot servers. They get along for the most part and no game breaking issues come to mind. However there is one growing concern for both types of server which is not bad in small amounts but gets bad if there is too much and that is the toxicity (negative atmosphere between players and game company). In addition to atmosphere, it can be defined in a lot of ways like the version found in Pokemon. Essentially it is a condition where the victim is poisoned and even if they are able to regain HP every turn, the poison grows until a KO or the poison is cured. (there are also a few ways to stall for time too) This is how we can think of Maplestory at the present time, functioning but (arguably) poisoned.

Spoiler

The beloved game is in trouble but there is still time, what should happen next? This is where it gets interesting because there isn't a clear right or wrong choice. Only a series of different choices, much like in a "Choose your own adventure" event or Visual novel.

On the player end, banding together and requesting a lasting change of some sort could have a positive effect. Though I couldnt say what the request could involve and it would probably be hard to find something for everyone to agree on. Its still an option.

Most of the power rests with the custodians of the game, Nexon. Reboot is both a blessing and a curse. It is good because it showed that there was an understanding that there was room for improvement but bad because it might not be the right choice to fix the poison.

If we assume there are a limited number of Game Masters then I think a lot of consideration should be given to merges. The figures for the current population are not public but the goal would be to have as few worlds as possible. To simplify the process, Nexon could announce that everybody can only keep a certain number of characters across all worlds. For example lets say the number is 6 characters, a player would select their 6 from all worlds and the player can place them and their items (including Nx) back and forth in a temporary transfer world. After some time then the merges would be finalized and the excess characters would disappear.
    Less servers = better GM coverage. It wouldn't be easy but it is another option.

Building on merges, if a major one was successful then the empty servers could be used for other purposes. (depending on how many free GM's are left over) Now Nexon of Global Maplestory could try their luck with both Pre BB and Supreme servers or even something else entirely like restoring Tespia.
    If people don't play one of the "experimental" servers or the alternatives dont catch on after a length of time then the characters could be merged onto the other servers. This risk would be explained somewhere before character creation.

Yet another choice could be to have Reboot merged into the regular servers or the regular servers merged into Reboot. This would however be like picking favorites with either a larger population that might not be as willing to spend or a smaller population but they buy more. (I wouldn't want to particularly choose one or the other, which is why I think Reboot might have been a bad idea) They both exist now though, so good luck to somebody trying to resolve that one.
    As with many things, there is the very real possibility of getting a bad ending which I would like to take steps and try to avoid.

My extremely long post is part theory, part questions, part opinion and part options. Mostly just throwing out ideas and seeing what might stick. I would imagine that there could be countless choices for Nexon to weigh when making decisions for Maplestory's future.
    Last edited by Pikamemnon; 2017-05-20 at 08:29 AM.

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

This paragraph alone tells me that you don't play modern MapleStory and don't know much about it.
    You probably shouldn't be offering advice on how it could be fixed.

9. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

I'm not talking about world alliances, I mean actual movement of information and in theory, clearing out space to consolidate the GM presence. How is that a bad idea?

10. Orbital Bee Cannon

That's not the issue.
    The issue is that you think "6" is a reasonable number of characters for a player to have.
    Now you'll say, "it was just an example, make it 10 or 100 if you want, it doesn't change the basic idea" - but while that's true, it does indicate that, as I said, you are completely out of touch with current Maple.
    FYI:
    - We have something called "link skills".
    - We have something called "character cards".
    - In a month, we will have something called "Union".
    - We now get 8 character slots on each world for a brand new account. They can be expanded up to 40.

11. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

If you are asking if I keep up with Maple as much as I used to then I am ok with admitting that I do not.
    Yes, 6 was only an example but what would you rather have?
    More link skills or less botters?
    A server filled with more actual players or a server filled with more mules and alts?

12. Orbital Bee Cannon

In which case your suggestion isn't just to merge servers, it's to completely revamp the game.
    You're saying, Nexon can save the game by telling all their most dedicated players, "We know you've been working hard to get 40 characters to 200, or at least 150, for Union. But we're going to delete 85% of them, because we don't know how else to get the hacking situation under control."
    To avoid hiring more GMs, or developing and maintaining better hack-detection heuristics, or (Rhinne forbid) changing the game's architecture to make it less easily hackable, Nexon should throw away people's investment of time and money.
    Sounds more like a way to kill a game than a way to save it.

Also, in terms of GM workload, a server alliance and a merged server are the same. If you go into any world in the alliance, you see all the hackers of all the other worlds as well.

Finally, what makes you think a whole bunch of alts and mules, which can't even be logged on simultaneously, increase GM workload in any way?
    Last edited by SaptaZapta; 2017-05-17 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Rephrasing

13. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

It doesn't make any sense reducing player's character would affect hackers, the max characters they have is 2 if they are botters, and 1 if it's just spamming ones in FM/Craft town, they hardly create characters in the account, how this would affect em anyway?

Your sugestion is like when i imagined a price of a pro item, but it was worth 5x more than what i thought, i had no idea about the price of it, just like me you have no idea of the current game, and try to make changes without looking if it would even work.

14. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

That is some fine trolling that you have managed there. Even after saying that the number I gave was an example and I confirmed that in the following post, you still presented it as the lower number. Clearly, if Nexon had the capability to merge servers without losing any characters then that would be the ideal choice. The amount of characters a single server can handle is limited however so there is no reason to expect that Nexon would be able to do something like that.
    Maple has been going for more than 10 years, if Nexon has not been able to complete any of the suggestions that you mentioned by now, exactly how long are you suggesting that people wait for those things to happen?

Unless you have been a Nexon GM in the past then I dont think you are qualified to comment on what their work involves.

When I talked about a server with a lot of alts and mules, that was part of a question for what kind of a server would you want to play in? A server where most of the character slots are occupied by mules or a server where most of the slots are filled by other players?

I was not suggesting that character numbers be reduced, that was only a side comment to the idea of merging servers.
    We all need to start somewhere. One of the first steps in gaining new knowledge is to ask questions. (I am also fond of trial and error)
    Last edited by Pikamemnon; 2017-05-18 at 01:51 PM.

15. Orbital Bee Cannon

And I'm telling you that the game is currently set up to allow for 40 characters per account per server.
    Whether or not I like mules is immaterial. Personally I'd rather focus on my main. But Nexon has been going in the direction of enticing-to-the-point-of-forcing the players to create one of each class, at least. And with the upcoming Union, you're pretty much required to have all 40 slots filled with level 200 characters, if you want maximum benefits for your one "main" character.
    This process cannot be reversed, any more than potential can be removed. (I can just imagine you going "now that you mention it - ").

The number of mules doesn't affect what GMs do. I don't need to be a GM to know that. They either look at how a character is behaving online (and if it needs banning, the whole account gets banned with one key, there is no need to ban each mule on it separately), or they datamine through logs, which should be identified by account ID (if they're not, then that's what needs fixing; not limiting the number of characters on an account).

What degrades server performance is not number of defined characters, but rather the number of online characters. And by crowding all the remaining active players into one server, you're going to kill it worse than Reboot last summer during 2x.
    But what am I talking about? You have no idea what it was like on Reboot last summer during 2x. You don't play MapleStory.
    So let me put it this way: Yes, it would be easier for GMs to police the game if it only had 10 maps, each with 3 channels. But it would also be impossible for anyone to enjoy the game.

Yes, Nexon has been incompetent in dealing with hackers and botters. Changes need to be made. But the changes you're suggesting are not in the right direction at all.

(And I don't even want to get into the idea of Nexon running 4 concurrent versions of the game)

16. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

I should thank you for trying to make personal attacks, it makes it easier to tell which parts of your message are trolling and what I can actually talk about. When I refer to a server full of mules and the max number of slots, I am talking about the max number of slots on the server, not within each account. It was not a technical question but one of preference. For example, would your preference be for a server that has 1k players + 4k mules or would your preference be for a server with 5k players? (these are made up numbers and they are not exact) Assuming the server can hold a maximum of 5k characters.

I'm asking if you want a server that has fewer people but they each have multiple characters or would you want a server that has as many people on it as possible?

The idea with GM's is to make it so that when a botter is reported, it would not be long until they are banned. I don't know what it would take to make this happen but that is why its only a suggestion.

Look carefully and you will see that at no point did I suggest merging everything into a single server. Nexon could merge as much as is necessary, that is the idea.

I may not always catch all the important details from update notes but I sometimes still want to try and help too. Not all the time but sometimes.

When I make a thread, I am usually not doing it just to get pineapples or pomegranates, though I cant completely lay blame on others for being skeptical. I like both Reboot and Non Reboot servers and I would prefer it if none of them died. But because of that I am also aware that it might not be best to have them both at the same time. By all means, correct me if I am wrong.

Unless you have not noticed, Maplestory has got problems and if I was someone who was serious about doing something, I would not be turning anybody or their ideas away. Could Nexon handle 4 versions of the game at once? Its not impossible if they had enough extra workers available, which is the same thing that was said in the quote this sentence is referencing.

Even though I can be hard on Nexon I still have some confidence in Nexon, can you say the same thing?

17. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

Nowhere in her post did she personally attack you, dude. She's breaking down your argument and giving you reasons as to why she disagrees with you or where you are incorrect in your assertions. Disagreeing with you is not equivalent to "trolling". I'd like to think you'd know on your own that Sapta does not and has not ever trolled anyone on this forum.

That aside, your weird assertion that Reboot "killed" or is "killing" maplestory is silly at best - Where is your conclusive evidence? What makes you believe that the most active server in the game (aside from MAYBE Scania) is what's digging the knife deeper?

18. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

Its fine, I'm cool with all Southperrians. I just think its better to avoid making threads personal as much as possible.

Oh yea right, the original post is quite silly but it is also based in something that could happen. The thing is, the concept of Reboot does not play nice with the other servers like they are getting in each others way. Its not good for Reboot if the big spenders stay on the normal servers but its also not good if the normal servers cant attract players. This leads to a perhaps impossible choice. If the game is still evolving then according to numbers the thing to do is make all servers like Reboot. If the game is evolving according to money making ability then the choice would seem to be in favor of the normal servers. Is it possible to keep both? Maybe if Reboot is changed to make more money but wouldn't that be the same as dumping its concept?

It is a tough question.

19. Lead Ball Male
    brazil

Ok, maybe this seens to relate more to you than anybody here, you keep asking for a pre-bb or that feel you had when playing the old Maple Story, but do you think they would do any of that now after requests of ''pre-bb server/roll-back to pre-bb''?

Clearly, you don't seens much interested in MapleStory as you were, and overall your requests or sugestions aren't really well thought, if you were really serious, you would actually play the game, or just look for more information to have a better sugestion instead to keep ones that doesn't make sense most of the time.

Also you have no idea how many character they can support in the server, you say ''5k is the max'' also shows you have no idea about it, you think 5k is a lot, but they might have over 100k, defennely bigger than 5k, they can easily store more data of characters since tecnology keep growing and growing, now it's easy to get 1T of space compared to 10years, so they obviously have something to handly that.

The real lag in the server is the hackers that spam a lot of attacks in a short amount of time; the bad coding and old of the game also helps with that, making the game heavier than it could be; also the amount of non-KMS content help in that, besides that some uptates workt here, but here it's extremely laggy, like Hekaton that wasn't the best of ideas to put here, he need a uptate to be better for other regions.

20. Default Re: Sorry Reboot but you killed Maplestory

I keep wondering, everytime I see any of your threads. Would you even play the dam game if they make it pre-bb? Didnt you stopped playing this years ago?

I mean Ive enjoyed the game way more after bigbang than before. Im on that generation that barely was 18x before bigbang, where everything you had was to either level up, or team up for bosses. That was about it, when bigbang came along it was pay2win, so I kinda stopped playing that regular cause I couldnt spend money on the game. And long after bigbang I came back to a game where we had to practice Hard Magnus for months till we succeded, then Chaos Root Abyss. It was fun to be challenged, one mistake would pineapple you up. We took down the first hard magnus on the european service, with KMS mechanics (so way harder than GMS, with no tyrants from gacha till way after we killed). That was hella fun. And I funded myself with the rewards gotten from all that hard work, to the point we ( a 6people team) where making up to 10b EACH per week, with a nx rate of 1:50 and tradeable nx in shops. We got screwed by ems nx after we killed Vellum and got Fafnir weps. Cause after we killed it they added the wepons to gacha, so we had to sell them to nxhoes price and not ours. But nevertheless it was fun.

I loved the old pre-bigbang days, I made alot of friends, had alot of awesome conversations and even learned english. But thats gone, like everything else in life, things either evolve or die. Most of the Southperrians left do enjoy the current maple, we know nx could do better by far, but we still enjoy this game somehow.