1. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default What is this NPC's name?

I'm looking for the name from the original version of MS he appeared in (CMS or TMS? idunno), and the hanzi used.

I'm almost certain this is David Carradine's character Kwai Chang Caine, from the martial-arts western "Kung Fu". Eventually in the show we see his name written as 虔官昌 (which in the Amoy dialect sort of sounds like Caine Kwai Chang). However, in the Mandarin dialect this reads as Qián Guān Chāng.

If it's not just an extreme coincidence that his sprite looks like Caine, and has a name that sounds like his (in the wrong reading), then this is a parody reference that got terribly bungled in localization. Now of course they slightly changed the name for legal reasons. If I could get his different name and then get the Amoy reading and get it to the attention of the global MapleStory team, we could make this already fairly obscure reference a bit easier to recognize.

2. Default Re: What is this NPC's name?

It I get the Mandarin dialect right, it reads as Chéng Guān (澄观).

3. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: What is this NPC's name?

Which goes back into Hokkien (Amoy) as Têng Koàin...

and now I am unsure. 澄观 is the name of a huayan buddhist monk (8th century), but none of his depictions look like the NPC (but carradine's character does).
    but it doesn't make much sense to me, since I am fairly sure this show was not popular in any part of china (although The Green Hornet was, repackaged as The Kato Show).

I don't know what to do now. I guess I'll leave it alone.