IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Gameplay

Clunky: I really don't like how we're constantly switching between cutscene/zoomed-in cutscene/normal play - and every such switch is accompanied by a second or two of black screen. Very jarring, and really interferes with immersion. Cutscenes drag out and dialog takes forever to move (and this is on a pretty powerful computer).
    On the other hand, the text shown in yellow from the side, which just appears and disappears on its own and can't be paused or reviewed...

I know all "blockbusters" are like that. And I don't like it in them, either. I think it would have been better to just have this content as a normal quest line, especially since it's not nearly as grand as the Black Heaven blockbuster. It's more on the scale of Athanaeum stories.

Boring: All there is is dialog, "clear the map" kill quests, and "kill for 3 minutes" quests. No puzzles, no jumping, no evasion, not even fetch quests.

Story

Even if we ignore all existing lore, it's still full of holes. I mean, you go into Lukan's memories (similar to going into Orchid's, in Black Heaven), and the first scene you observe is something he was not witness to. What?

Minor nitpick: all maps are labeled "Phantom Forest", even when they're clearly Crimsonwood Mountain.
    This makes even less sense in the past, because the "Phantom"ness of the forest didn't come to be until after Masteria's fall (per the Raven Ninja Clan's explanation of Phantom Trees).

And then there are the contradictions with existing content. I don't care so much about changes to what we thought we knew of the past, since our sources were NPCs who might have been mistaken or had fuzzy memories. But contradictions with "modern day NLC"?
    Spoiler

Bottom line, though: not too bad. Depending on how tedious acts 3 and 4 are, I might do the whole thing on multiple chars for the "Future Warrior" medal (15 allstat, 8 att/m.att).

2. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

I wouldn't mind them as much if it had actually functioned like it would normally have in other Blockbusters.
    The Masteria blockbuster locks out your UI and then shows the yellow text and then unlocks it. While in Black Heaven, the yellow text can be shown at times without locking up the UI, so you can move while it pops up. The Masteria one also takes a while in between pop ups too.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon

I didn't like them in Black Heaven, either. The bird-knights would jabber at me while I was trying to fight or dodge or jump or outrun or do anything at all that requires attention elsewhere on the screen. Maybe I just suck at splitting attention.

4. Hot minute Gay Male

IGN: Farewell
    Server: Reboot
    Level: ???
    Job: Meth Addict
    Guild: None
    Alliance: None

I did not enjoy it. I could barely move without getting thrown into a cut scene. It really is unfortunate that they turned this into a blockbuster.

5. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

I liked it a lot actually. It wasn't spectacular by any means but I did enjoy it. I'm reserving full judgement until Act 3 and 4 are released. I think everyone should too. I think it's fair to judge a story based on it's whole rather than just it's parts.

Example, I don't judge each individual part of Lord of the Rings. I take the story as a whole and may be like "oh well this part is kinda clunky."

Overall I thought it was fine. I thought it was realtivly well tied in to the rest of the lore that was pre-established. Few things changed. Nothing that upset me. Everyone's complaining about dalogue and stuff. Was it forgotten or just forgiven that pretty much all of Masteria's lore was given through literal books of text. Seriously it would take me 10 minutes just to read through one quest. The only difference here is it's cutscenes but it's pretty much the same thing.

Responses

6. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Spoiler

7. Orbital Bee Cannon

Spoiler

8. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

To be honest, I'm disappointed. It reminds me of the Star Wars prequels in terms of contradictions and writing issues.

9. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

In case it wasn't clear, they didn't much care for the source material. I'd think of this as fanfiction more than anything else.

10. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Yup, pretty much just like everything else released for Masteria after CWKPQ.

11. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Agreed. It ruined totally the charm of Crimsomwood Keep.
    Better to Nexon fix the storyline and the quests and add more BGM's since it sounded... recycled.

EDIT: At least chapter 2 has more coherency storywise, however.... the BGM are... recycled and badly placed!

12. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Are there any recordings of all this stuff? I'm interested in seeing what happened without having to actually play the game.

13. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Act 1
    Act 2

14. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Wow some of the transitions are super janky and the reused assets are sort of funny, like Arkarium's screen crack still being too small for the screen lol. The gameplay looks really boring, they didn't add in any minigames or minibosses or anything so it's just kill kill kill... and all of the animations without SFX just makes it look lame. In terms of story, I only know the general idea of Masteria so this seems pretty interesting to me, but I guess other people who were more invested might see all the plot holes and stuff. But I agree, it doesn't suit the cinematic format of the blockbusters at all, they're not making good use of it. Maybe the next couple of Acts will be better.

Also, Naricain, Naricane, or Naricaine? Pick one!

15. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

I should really stop trying to shield this game from itself and just be happy to let whatever happens to Maplestory happen but before that, I still want to say something about the Masteria blockbuster.

Spoiler

Ok, I got it out of my system. I mean its still a good update on its own, on the surface. Most players probably will not be concerned about deeper worries anyhow. This particular type of boat may not finish sinking anytime soon but If you will excuse me, I need to go and find the nearest life preserver.
    Last edited by Pikamemnon; 2016-03-16 at 07:28 PM.

16. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Have you ever done that? I mostly lurk nowadays, but every post I've ever seen by you is crying about how the game's gotten sh'itty since BB or whatever.
    Normally I'd ignore your posts because I'm over with maple, but I had to point this out. <_<

@ Topic: I was going to re-install just to wander around the new Masteria content, but was too lazy. Then I read some comments about it here, and am feeling relieved I didn't.

17. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

"shield this game from itself"
    You dislike people talking bad about the game and yet you agree with the information? Typical Maplestory player. (in the past/present)

Que sera sera

18. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

My first impression was
    Spoiler

Yeeeeeah that was pretty annoying, it felt chunky and badly timed. Didn't really know when to move at times, sometimes tried to move but was still frozen.

The positive impressions so far, well the designs and graphics are simply stunning, and the music is even more stunning. All over I really enjoyed it, not as much as Black Heaven or Athanaeum stories, but still soild. Looking forward to act III.

19. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Assumptions must be fun, where did I say that I disliked badmouthing the game?
    I agree that Nexon's run this game into a hole, my comment was to you saying that you've shielded it; you haven't ever done so from what I've seen. Most all you post about is your lame demands for a pre-BB server or just complaining it's gotten oh so bad since BB(which I don't disagree with). Even when you attempt at posting a thread on how 'good' the game is/how to improve its state, it always devolves into you b'itching. (That's why the 'Pikamemnon thread' meme exists here, it's borderline impossible to take what you spout seriously.)

But yeah, I must just be a typical Maplestory player for pointing that out, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Time to go back to lurking, I've nothing to add to the thread.

20. Default Re: Masteria Through Time - Blockbuster impressions

Of course not, it is not possible to protect something from itself. That does not mean we cant suggest alternative courses of action though. I tried to (unsuccessfully) shield Maplestory from its own terrible choices but it is not needed since I do not work for Nexon. They direct the game, therefore its well being falls to them.

I may not control it but I still want to see what happens to Maplestory in the future.