1. Default Thermodynamics & Stat. Mech.

If anyone is good at Stat. Mech or Thermodynamics pls look at this and let me know where'd you start.

EDIT: Calling you out @Marksman Bryan.

2. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: Thermodynamics & Stat. Mech.

I've seen this problem before... might be able to check my old thermo notes tomorrow. Too tired to think it through from scratch tonight.

3. Default Re: Thermodynamics & Stat. Mech.

Yay thanks! It's not due until Wednesday so just if you can help me out before then. I think it's a classic problem to show you that thermodynamic temperature can be negative(on Kelvin scale) in some cases cause a later question is "when would the temp be negative."

However, just reading this I'm baffled where to even start.

4. Default Re: Thermodynamics & Stat. Mech.

I haven't done stat mech or thermo in a few years so forgive me if I make a mistake.

First glance - N! divided by two other factorials makes me immediately think binomial distribution, and that fits the question of counting states (N choose R = N!/(R!*(N-R)!))
    The delE/(2*mu*B) term in the answer combined with delE>>mu*B reminds me of a certain condition (approximation?) used in stat mech. can't remember the name - sorry. but if delE>>2*mu*B there's a derivative relationship I'd have to look up.

Total number of particles N = n1+n2

Rewrite equation for E in terms of n1 or n2 - solution makes me think it'd also be helpful to rewrite it as an equation for n1 or n2 (one or the other - I don't think you have to do both. could be wrong).

5. Default Re: Thermodynamics & Stat. Mech.

I like how it says "by abusing algebra". Pity thermodynamics is not my cup of tea... no not at all, and this math is a little beyond me.

Hadriel

6. Default Re: Thermodynamics & Stat. Mech.

I try to make my homework sound dramatic. :3

EDIT: It's interesting to note here that this example can produce a negative absolute temperature if the first factorial term in the denominator is smaller than the second.

7. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    usa

Looks right to me. Sorry I couldn't actually help, got stuck with my own Nuc Phys hw

8. Default Re: Thermodynamics & Stat. Mech.

Hi there,

New here, I've been searching for the Thermodynamics and Nuclear Physics handbook (from UNSW Canberra at ADFA). It's a previous year course and there's no access to the online resources already. What resources do you usually use for the Nuclear Physics assignments?
    Corrupted reply field or something..

9. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    usa

Heh, I'm surprised anyone bothered to reply to this thread and that I actually logged in in a somewhat timely fashion.

I don't have any great recommendations for standard Nuclear Physics undergrad. I don't think either course I took in it even had a required textbook. I did find Georgia State's hyperphysics website to be a very useful general resource and remember using it occasionally for Nuclear Physics.

Is this undergrad or graduate level? General overview course or something more specialized?

I ended up getting heavily into detectors and radiation effects on electronics, but only learned the general requirements for nuclear physics and reactors.