Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

Some of us were quite surprised when Reboot World was announced for GMS.
    They were sure that, like the Auction House, Meso Market, and permanent NX clothing in Cash Shop, this "money gives no advantage" server was something our branch of Donxon will never let us have.

But we did get it. Maplers and ex-Maplers came flocking to experience the wonder for themselves. Success?

Unfortunately, some puzzling decisions by NexonNA make the experience not as good as it could be.

1. Hardware
      Seems Nexon grossly underestimated the enthusiasm for this new world.
      Even on normal days it's choked and laggy and difficult to even log in to, much less stay connected. On 2x it becomes impossible.
      While it's to be expected that enthusiasm will wane and the population will drop, failing to allocate sufficient resources from the start means that people are not enjoying Reboot as much as they could, and may well leave because of that, and not because the world itself can't hold their interest. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy there.
      They did add a bit of hardware a few days after release, but that hardly made a difference. They keep having maintenances for "back end modifications to the servers" to address their stability, but those don't help at all.

And then, when you manage to get on and stay on, every boss map and every good training map is full, ks'ing and tracking and all manner of harassment, just like in the good old days...

2. Cash Shop contents
      This server is supposed to support itself through cosmetics alone.
      You'd expect it to have the most extensive selection of equipment covers, effects, cosmetic coupons, and so on, to encourage people to part with their NX.
      And yet it doesn't. No VIP or REG hair/face coupons, pitiful selection of pets and equipment covers, everything expires, it's just sad.
      So unless their devious plan is to make people buy barely-decent clothes first, and then release better ones and have people spend NX all over again, they're just shooting themselves in the foot here.

3. Pay to Win, aka "advantage to paying players."
      As soon as we saw the promo video, we asked about pets.
      In KMS, pets and their skills can be purchased with Mileage (Reward Points), but here they can't. A looting pet is, if not essential, then a huge advantage, especially in a server where all you have is what you're able to loot. Making pets, as well as their skills and water of life, only available through NX (except for the 5-hour snail and the rare Hilla drop Blackheart), is a definite advantage to paying customers. Reboot doesn't even have Tot's, for a free 7-day pet that would help one get strong enough to defeat Hilla.
      It's true that this advantage can be had at a fixed low cost of about $10 for the initial outlay and then another $10 a year for water of life, unlike Cubes that can run into tens of thousands in open-ended gambling, it still runs against the principle of "no advantage to paying players" and it turns a lot of people away from the server. People don't like being forced to pay, even just $5, on a nominally "free" server.

And then there was the Meso Sack fiasco.
      They tried putting those in at release, but the public outcry made them realize people will just flat-out refuse to play the server. So they withdrew them, but with a notice that definitely leaves them the option of re-adding them at a later date. That doesn't sound good.

The whole Meso Sack mess did serve to draw fire away from the pet issue, though. People are now all, "Aren't you ever satisfied? They took away the Meso Sacks, now you want pets for free too? You expect the server to run on air? Nexon deserves at least some money. If you can't afford $5 go mow your neighbor's lawn or shovel snow from their driveway or something." And Artasi finally responded to the pet issue, saying essentially, "Pets are only cosmetic."

4. Bugs and changes
      There was the stupid Cash Shop overflow issue that gave people unlimited cubes and meso.
      I hear rumours of other exploits that have yet to be patched.
      And of course the same botting, hacking, and vaccing tools that work in the regular servers still work in Reboot.
      Some of the gear being smega'ed in Reboot certainly looks like it took way more cubes than anyone could have legitimately collected in the time the server was open. Some people could get lucky, of course. But the same person getting lucky on a dozen pieces of gear, and coincidentally being an NX-user with plenty of money for smegas? That does make one wonder.

Nexon changed the drop tables in the entire game, apparently copying them from KMS. The purpose is not entirely clear, although it might have been to prevent low-level gear from dropping from high-level mobs. Why this was necessary is unclear. It just makes it much harder to use the transfer hammer to get decent gear in Reboot.
      Unintended(?) side-effects of this change, that make life unnecessarily hard in Reboot: (Recall that Reboot isn't supposed to be a "hardcore" server. It's the same as the normal servers, just without trading or pay2win)
      - Familiars and Codex cards don't drop. Some classes guzzle MP potions. Everybody loses out on Leafre set Ignore DEF.
      - Purple Senior equipment doesn't drop in MPE. The guaranteed Epic potential on those, along with the transfer hammer, would have made it much easier to get decent gear in Reboot.
      - Equipment drop rate is much lower everywhere. This, especially with the Sizzling Santa event making people level 3x as fast, makes it so you're unlikely to get a full set of gear before you outlevel the mobs that drop it. And of course it means a lot less meso by NPC'ing gear.

5. Reboot Coin Shop
      First, they neglected to put Epic potential scrolls and potential stamps from this shop's Reboot World version. No reason given. Just to make things harder on Rebooters.

But ok, the shop still has some really good things, like cheap inventory expansions and nice rings.

Then they sharply nerfed the coin rate from Shining Santa Boxes, not just instating a cap of 90 coins a day, but actually replacing multi-coin options with Rudolph Noses, the single worst item in the box. Besides being a sadistic quality-of-life punishment (because of how the noses fill your inventory and are hard to discard), it makes it nearly impossible to get any of the good things in the shop. People who were happy to farm the boxes and participate in the event for various goodies before, are now royally pissed off.

This change affects all servers. But it's worse in Reboot, because everybody is new there, and needs all the items in the shop. In the established servers, many people just wanted inventory expansions for mules, or chairs and damage skins for fun. Not being able to get those isn't nearly as infuriating as being unable to get decent rings, or inventory expansions for one's main.

So the mood on the new server has definitely shifted from unbridled joy to frustration and resentment. The server is still full, possibly because there's nothing much to do on the regular servers (since the coin event was nerfed just as bad there). But will everyone abandon Reboot to create their Kinesis on their normal server, next week?

Now, back to the title of this thread.
    As you can see by my sig, I generally tend to believe Nexon is incompetent, rather than evil.
    However, all these seemingly unrelated issues that add up to a less-than-happy experience with Reboot, are they truly accidental? Or did NexonNA only give us Reboot because Korea made them do it, and they are subtly (or not so subtly) trying to make it fail so they can be justified in closing it?

2. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

Looks like someone at Nexon has been reading Donald J. Trump's "The Art of the Deal"!

I wouldn't put it past Owen "Mo' Money" Mahoney to do it. They seemed to be really averse to making a "Classic MS" server. Maybe by adopting a "Classic MS" business model in a modern server, and stacking it to lose, they can force it to fail and then whenever anyone brings the subject up again in the future, they can point to this failure as a reason why they will never ever attempt anything like it again.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

But it seems to be working fine in KMS.

4. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

Maybe i'm just jaded, but I'm still having fun with reboot. The fact that I can't pay to make my items better and I have to grind makes it feel more rewarding.

That's not to say there's some obvious problems. Potential Stamps/Potential Scrolls need to be sold somewhere, they're near unobtainable outside the elite bosses which are being farmed like mad (there's a discord chat dedicated to finding elite bosses). The reboot coin is another issue that either should have had the nerfed drop-rate to start with, or just unnerf it.

The server being full is just an issue of their failure to plan for such a large influx of people coming back for this. I wont say it's suprising that it happened, but I can't entirely fault nexon for this, they're not the only company who's made that mistake. Blizzard did the same thing when the last WoW expansion launched, completely bungled up the servers for a good week or two, many people being unable to play. It's not an excuse on nexon's end, but it's something that just has to be dealt with.

The bugs are just SOP for Nexon with every patch. Someone finds an exploit, abuses it, released to public, mass chaos ensues, people get banned, nexon half-assedly fixes it, move on.

5. Trump minus th money

I uh...are you sure you are using the correct word there?

6. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

I more meant jaded as in, I have more tolerance for nexon's shenanigans. Perhaps not the correct word.

7. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

I actually like the server being crowded the way it is, it's fun to actually share a map and finding parties easily. Of course the lag and dcs are a problem though.
    But I agree with the rest and it would be kinda stupid for Nexon to do this because it's been a while since I've seen people this interested in maple again.

8. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

an average KMSer's spending habits may be vastly different from an average GMSer's though.

9. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

I honestly believe that Nexon is so out of touch with reality and the playerbase that these issue are not intentional. Either that, or corporate Nexon does not care about consumer happiness. It's entirely possible Nexon is just trying to squeeze out as much money as they can on a dying game, from people who cling on to the memory of what the game used to be.

While most of us weren't fond of Bret, and he handled a lot of situations poorly, he was the only reason we saw any improvements whatsoever in the past few months - and was almost fired pushing for what the community wanted.

Anyways, I give it about one month until Meso Sacks are in Reboot cash shop.

"I hear rumours of other exploits that have yet to be patched. "

This is also true. Other elementary coding mistakes (read: exploits) that the general community hasn't found out about yet, and were reported to Nexon within the first few days of Reboot, are still active and people are still abusing them. There hasn't been a community uproar threatening to stop playing, so Nexon doesn't care.

10. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

Jaded means just the opposite. A person who is jaded would more quickly assume that Nexon is out to get them. Jaded means you more naturally assume the negative because you've been burned before.

11. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

Pretty sure he meant it in the context of apathy

Well I'd like to say I told you so, but I didn't even expect this. I don't know what they are trying to do, besides exploit the player base, I don't even play and I'm kind of insulted. They had one thing that worked, and it worked well, and they pomegranate all over it because they thought they could make it better for profit.

Maplestory it's on the cliffside being held up by nostalgia and it's so pineappleing pathetic because it needs so little maintenance to be successful. It's a game with one of the best communication systems out there, with simplicity that requires little to no processing power, they should exploit the ever living fu`ck out of it. It's sad to see something with so much potential just go down because of some stooges in office. We really need someone not afraid to lose their job and tell it like it is to these people.

B>Rights to maplestory to fu`cking fix the game.

12. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

The lag has made me stop playing the game again cause I keep DCing during boss runs and that's really all I do at the moment. What's the point if the few things I do I can't even do anymore?

13. Trump minus th money

If Donald Trump loses the bid for presidency I will start an online petition for him to buy the publishing rights to MapleStory from Nexon.
    At the very least he will build a virtual wall to lock out the meso farmers and sellers who come from CHINA and ruin our economy.

14. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

I'm most bothered by the underwhelming cash shop, in particular the weapon cover selection is very disappointing as a non-explorer job. There's only 2 or 3 weapon covers I can choose from and further they only last 90 days. Really?? At least give us more variety, if it's going to be 90-day only :/.

15. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

I'd really like to think that NexonNA is incompetent and that these issues are purely just them being out of touch with what the players want.
    JMS didn't get Reboot world. I'm waiting to see if CMS/TWMS will get Reboot world before I assume whether or not Reboot world was pushed by Korea onto NxA or it was NxA that pushed for Reboot because it wasn't originally in the plans. They know we have a bunch of nostalgic folks on their servers, otherwise, they wouldn't have done the Back to Old Maple events.

As for the Cash Shop, they're just being lazy when it comes to the NX equip covers. Nexon hasn't updated the Cash Shop with new items in years. They've been dumping new CS equips items as limited time packages or dumping them into RNG boxes. They haven't added new items in separately in forever. The equips in the CS has existed since almost the beginning of time.

16. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

Have you looked at the reboot cash shop? It has not even a 15th the selection of the regular servers. It seriously is extremely limited right now. You can't even change your hair without buying royal coupons. For being so reliant on cosmetics to make the money roll in it sure is flopping all over the damn place on it.

17. Trump minus th money

They probably want to say that it's a financial failure and that they NEED to put in all the pay to win stuff to make it successful. In their next boardroom meeting.

18. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

I'd like to think it's not as simple as "Dear Korea, the server is a failure because reasons, we should put cubes back in for those who want to cube"

19. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

it's more like

dear korea
    the server's failing because we didn't give it good hardware and it's costing us more money to maintain than we're gaining from it

rather than update our aging and failing systems, can we just get rid of it and force people to be stuck paying money again

20. Default Re: Is NexonNA trying to kill Reboot World?

You should see how many people Nexon paid to stream themselves playing on the reboot server...

So I'm just gonna go with the "they're incompetent" line for now ;)