Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news//4560/

2. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

I didn't know they had comedians on the payroll.
    Or is player retention just that bad that most people active are new enough to have installed with the thing initially?

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

"Our new launcher is so buggy that everyone who's installed it is trying to get rid of it and go back to the old system. We won't let you! You'll help us debug this stupid thing whether you want to or not!"

4. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

"you'll help us debug"

please let me laugh
    HAHAHA.

more like "we wanted to make a shinier patcher thinguie so we did it and you better like it whether it works or not.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon

Thing is, they do want people playing the game.
    If you can't launch the game, you can't use the Cash Shop.
    They have their own reasons for wanting everyone to use their shiny new launcher, but they do want it to work for everyone. Which it won't if people just say "the Hell with it" (after the 10th forced full download and/or 100th crash), and go back to the old methods. They're hoping that if they force everyone to use the new buggy launcher, they might get bug reports with useful information for fixing the thing.

At least, that's the only explanation that makes any sense to me.

6. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

The old system wasn't more reliable though, I had numerous of bugs and crashes with all the launching methods. Nexon Launcher is the future. I'm not gonna sit here and lie saying it's not buggy because it is, last time it got stuck on 100% for hours and I couldn't get on. I'm really positive it will get better and better though, Nexon Launcher hasn't been around for that long. We had one or two major updates to the Nexon Launcher that I can think of. One launcher solution is the standard in the gaming industry right now for almost all gaming companies. I think I have like 12 different launchers right for numerous of of games right now.

We might as well just embrace the future aye? And hope it will be less buggy :3

7. Orbital Bee Cannon

Not sure what you mean by "the old system" that wasn't more reliable.
    The web launcher and the Nexon downloader (with Pando media booster) sucked, but FTP (originally one huge file, and later 3 or 4 and now 5 files) and GameLauncher.exe always worked like a charm, except when Nexon messed up GameGuard/BlackCipher/NGS/anti-hack-tool-of-the-day.
    I hope we get to keep those as fallback for when the newfangled launcher repeatedly misfires.

8. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

I don't care what launcher they use, I'll still have a preference for just launching the game directly through the Game Launcher executable bundled with the game itself (maybe even MapleStory.exe, if that no longer redirects to the website). There is pretty much no way for any launcher they devise to be more reliable than that, since at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure all their launching methods have to use the MapleStory executable itself. I can see why a launcher would make sense for a game company that publishes multiple games since it makes it easy for users who play more than one of their game to get in a game when they're all in one place, or to get users to expand into their other game offerings if they're not currently playing them, but it's just not something I'm all that into. I don't mind clicking icons on my desktop or start bar, and a launcher is less of a convenience and more of an unnecessary middle man for me. I care little for all the bells and whistles that come with a launcher, to me, it's just superfluous crap.

What I have a bigger problem with is not being able to download the game directly, so hopefully they still have that. I guess the fact that they distributed Pando Media Booster with one of their downloaders in the past without disclosing this to the user left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to their downloaders.

To me, these are the old, reliable systems, executables and direct downloads, not whatever unnecessary extra steps they've put between us and the content that they've implemented over the years.

9. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

By the old system I meant the

1. Web Launch (play button)
    2. Game Launcher

Personally I had bugs and errors with all of those, even if my computers have been fairly new and updated. Almost every update there is/was some technical issue I have to fix, I don't really mind though. Always get in game eventually, so ya.

GameLauncher.exe is still an option thankfully, so right now we have two launching methods. Manual patching gone though, so what happens to the Southperry pre-patching thing then? That won't be a thing anymore?

Edit: We have three methods, because Steam launch is a thing

Ah I see, it's good that you can still use GameLauncher.exe. Hm I barely remember using Pando Media Booster, I did though. That was a looong time ago, hmm don't remember what year. I didn't find the old system that reliable though, then again one of the methods always worked. More options means we have a plan B to get into the game, so I see what you mean.

I will adjust to the changes that are coming, as long as I can get in game I'm happy.

10. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

It creates a patcher using the patch file (a .patch file, not the same as the manual patcher created by Nexon themselves) hosted on the Nexon servers. If Nexon continues hosting the patch files publicly (which they'd have to, I think, I believe the game client needs them for automatic patching), you can continue making your manual patchers by downloading the patch file and running the patcher generator.

11. Donator Straight Male
    panama

i had/have always used the .exe for maple, every other method was too much trouble for it's worth

12. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

Oh I see, so that's how it works.

I mostly used the Play Button, would launch 1-3 times to get into the game. Now it's pretty similar with the Nexon Launcher, sometimes I get the "you have been disconnected form the server" message other times it works right away. I like how I don't have to enter any log in information, it remembers my details =)

13. Orbital Bee Cannon

Ah, but getting in the game is just half the battle.

I wish they'd work more on making it possible to stay in the game, even if you happen to change channel, for example.

14. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

Ah yeah it kinda goes in waves for me, sometimes I can stay in the FM selling stuff (and junk) for weeks without crashing. While other times I crash every single night for days and days (frustrating), I think October has been a good month in terms of stability though, at least for me. Haven't crashed that much lately, I do still get kicked to world selection if i cc really fast . It's always been like that, as far as I can remember.

15. Orbital Bee Cannon

First of all, just because it's "always been like that" doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. Quite the opposite.

Second, it wasn't always like this.
    I remember, years and years ago, when hunting area bosses for scrolls was a thing, you'd be constantly cc'ing through all channels and never once disconnect. And furthermore, you actually changed channel the first time you tried to! Didn't have to do it two or more times just to get the game to respond!
    Back in those days you could log in after the weekly maintenance and stay connected until the next maintenance without disconnecting and without the client crashing to desktop at all. Can you imagine that?

At some point, it changed. Changing channels became difficult, requiring several retries, and risky, as it could lead to a disconnection instead.
    I believe this has something to do with a connection-hijacking hack being patched, but I don't know for sure.

And since then, yeah, whenever your connection switches between Nexon's various "channels" (including cash shop, monster life, and "private" channels such as Evo and DI) it's liable to just drop. Even more puzzling is that it doesn't drop right away, but rather behaves normally for a minute or two and then poofs. But most annoying is that the game design blithely ignores this issue, and forces you to change channel all the time. Boss tele, going to Monster Park, going to DI/Evo/Commerci Union, Star Planet has 3 channels for the "plaza" and still another for the game arena, and so on and so forth. And every such forced switch can drop your connection, either immediately or after a minute or two (which is long enough to start the boss or PQ run, and lose an entry when you disconnect). Very frustrating.

Yet this is not important to fix.
    What is important is that we get a snazzy launcher app to take up a few more of our computer's resources doing nothing essential whatsoever.

16. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

I never said it shouldn't be fixed, I do think many people are used to it though. Not that we should be used to it, it's just like crashes. MapleStory does crash quite often, it shouldn't be like that but it is.

I do remember that from around from 2007-2010, it's hard to 100% pin point exactly. But I remember when I first started playing in 2007 it wasn't like that, now that you mention it.

The Nexon Launcher is the future way of launching the game, that's pretty essential to me. I respect that you don't fancy it that much though.

17. Donator Straight Male
    panama

since we're a bit on the nostalgia, i think i remember the problems with CC coming a bit after lionheart castle, around chaos i think? before that the only things that really disconected me were @@@@@@ spam from DC hackers
    i know i've said it but i'll say it again: i lost the first half of the battle, and apparently i'm not the only one, a couple people are unable to access the game at all.

18. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

So does this mean I can't use the "gamelaunching" add on to the target under properties?

Like so:

C:\Nexon\Library\maplestory\appdata\MapleStory.exe "gamelaunching"

19. Default Re: Update Regarding MapleStory Installation

lol and some of us can't even access the website (me), as though I were IP Banned. None of my characters are on rankings, either. I have no idea what would constitute a ban on my account, or even an IP ban, that's just ridiculous. I don't even play.

20. Donator Straight Male
    panama

i can't access the site either. worst part is it's the second time it happens to me.

no clue about character rankings, that's weird though. how did you check that, asked someone else to do it?