1. Default Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news//4378/

2. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

Nice. Explicitly stating they'll ban you for trying to sell IGNs.

What's stopping people from saying "selling ign x y z" of someone they don't like, though?

3. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

thanks for the idea

4. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

I'd be willing to think they'd ban the immediate person who is saying that in game... as for outside of the game... they can't take any action unless they're seriously willing to take such a massive gamble. That'd just be outright foolish.

5. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

It'd also be foolish to try and sell an IGN in-game. I don't think (m)any will be sold outside of the illegal forums. I remember artasi stating on the forums somewhere that he'll "personally" take care of IGN sellers.

I just see a lot of problems arising from this whole thing and I like voicing my thoughts. Probably why he never liked me.

6. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

Huh.. what happens after that....

7. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

I had someone leave an ign-selling message in my shop. It wasn't even a particularly "cool" ign they were offering

@Justin: if they only ban the advertiser, and not the character bearing the IGN, then how does that prevent the IGN from being sold? Just advertise on another char, or in illegal venues as Bryan said.

8. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

That's the thing about it - there is no real means of proving that any person selling an IGN actually has that IGN unless Nexon just writes them down and keeps tabs on them (That won't happen). This shouldn't even be something that is monitored, honestly. It's as simple as throttling character name attempts - If you try to type in the same name while creating a character 10 times within say... 1 hour then your IP cannot create a character at all for x amount of time. Or if you create 3 or 4 characters within x hours then the same thing occurs. This is a much easier solution to this supposed "mass name botting" that is going to occur than seriously acting like Artasi himself is going to do anything about it. He's just blowing hot air.

Banning a person on the premise that they MAY be selling IGNs (without any sort of proof) is just dumb. Not to mention, there's no means of telling intent by a character's deletion and then recreation on another account. What if they gave the person the name for free? What if they're friends? What if the person legitimately got the name off of a dumb luck attempt? This whole spiel is a waste of time. What will be will be.

9. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

Stuck between my characters history and a new name...

10. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

This is pretty petty.

11. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

I just hope that whatever algorithm they are using the generate the numerical names, takes into account the fact that there already are characters in the game with purely numerical IGNs.

12. Default Re: Reminder - Character Name Changes Are Coming October 15

2B0N0T2B

To be or not to be.

Hadriel