View Poll Results: What if you could play only one?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maplestory (Normal)

5 20.83%
  • Maplestory (Reboot)

6 25.00%
  • Maplestory (Pre - Big bang)

3 12.50%
  • Maplestory 2

5 20.83%
  • Other Nexon game

2 8.33%
  • None of those!

3 12.50%
  1. Default Reboot: And what does it mean?

The first thing I think of is that Reboot is too good to be true. A Maplestory server with a lesser emphasis on Nx and more on character growth. Where is the catch? This looks like a trap.

I do not have personal experience with the server but I will admit that the idea SOUNDS intriguing. Only that it looks extremely suspicious considering the source.
    Another consideration is how would someone who might want Pre-BB feel about Reboot?
    What about Reboot vs other Nexon games? Its possible to play more than one but what if you didn't want to?

I have my doubts but would still like to gather as much info about Reboot as possible.

2. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

It's KMS realizing their long term is actually very short term, and their MEE's mistake is unfixable, so they want to start fresh.

3. Lead Ball
    IGN: Watt
    Server: 루na
    Level: 240
    Job: Hero
    Guild: 깜찍
    Alliance: 깜찍qkff
    Farm: 에디

Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

I guess we didn't have a Pikamemnon thread for a long time?

4. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

The fuk

5. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Of your four options, one is impossible, and two we don't have firsthand experience of.
    How about waiting until all the options are on equal footing before setting up a poll?

6. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

Why so serious? The poll is only meant for the concepts. Maplestory Before the big bang may never officially see the light of day again, just as Reboot may not come to Global Maplestory. Same boat as the Supreme world.

There is also the very real possibility of an alternative Nexon game blowing the others clear out of the water. (as far as opinons go) These things do not happen in a vaccuum ya know.

7. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

Have you ever heard of an MMO that reverted their game, or even put a server up of their game in a previous state? No? Okay then, I think your point on pre-BB never being a thing again is already the case, and has been for years. All the info on reboot is already there and established, just go read Max's blog on it.

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Runescape?

9. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

I completely forgot that was a thing. Legit the only one I've ever heard of or seen, though. And that's primarily because they started completely over from scratch in the new version and people didn't want to lose their characters.

10. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

What do YOU mean when you say "what does it mean?". Might you be suggesting Nexon is luring us into this new low-impact NX server only to make it as bad as the regular servers in the future or something?

Thinking myself about it, it doesn't seem clear what Nexon's purpose with Reboot could be. You have people saying MS is still one of the most popular games in Korea so why pushing something like Reboot in KMS first instead of servers like SEA or GMS which definitely need it?

Just over a month ago Softnyx opened a GunBound Thor's Hammer server in Latin America, by popular demand. Might not happen nowhere near often, but does happen and maybe should happen a lot more.

11. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

It is only a name for the server but now that I think about it, maybe they ought to change it, if given the chance.
    Last edited by Pikamemnon; 2015-08-26 at 07:02 AM.

12. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

"Nocashia" doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

13. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

(My reply to http://www.southperry.net/showthread...7673&title=Neo Tokyo - MLC is pretty short by itself but starts all the way over in a different thread because the path is so long)

If GMS were to get something like REBOOT, this is how I would like to see it happen.

First I would trim everything out of Maple until it can run smoothly on a 10 year old pc.
    Next I would adjust the world using the original design as a guide. (Mobs give unique exp, giant field maps and the highest levels are only reachable by very skilled players or those that have been playing for too long) It may not hurt to make the curve a bit less extreme.
    After that I would go through each level range and ensure there are at least a couple of good training spots for EVERY class up to the max. (which might be 200, so that we can tell it apart from normal Maple at a glance)
    I would add some manner of limited Free market. Possibly similar to the old MTS but loaded with extra restrictions to discourage abuse.

Since the mob scaling and difficulty would likely be comparable to Before big bang, there should be an important event within moderate reach. For example adjusting Black heaven to be a say, lvl 31 quest chain. Then "normal" people would have a good place to stop at or choose to keep going.
    On the opposite extreme, the max level could go up to 250 if 5th job came out, unless it could be fit in before 200.

Once all of those things are taken care of then we can get to Neo Tokyo.
    The story, most of the mobs toughness, most of the maps and other stuff should be close to their original forms.
    Some of the functionality, some of the better ability to solo and good rewards to match the difficulty could come from out of Neo city.
    In other words a fusion of Old Neo Tokyo + Neo city = Improved Neo Tokyo.

Reboot complete!
    Last edited by Pikamemnon; 2015-09-07 at 08:08 AM.

14. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

It's not realistic to expect the game to be playable on a very old PC, much like you cannot expect a village to expand into the size of a massive city and not require some amount of technological advances. I believe it's due to the sheer amount of content being added, the many different things being parsed at once (e.g. profession, behind-the-scenes item drop masking, drop tables, EXP breakdown and contribution etc. etc.) that makes it extremely challenging for an old PC. It's also how the way the game is coded, really, if you must insist on the specifics, but even an old PC cannot really handle a 1 Gb memory application without significant hit to performance (doesn't matter if you have more than enough RAM, your CPU and GPU bandwidths are the limiting factors).

That said, Nexon really should make it a habit to delete obsolete items or data, instead of a continually-increasing stockpile of rarely-used item/etc. codes. Resource management (with all its different meanings) doesn't seem to be on the top of their list...

Hadriel

15. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

No, Pika, it means to turn something off and then back on again.

16. Default Re: Reboot: And what does it mean?

I don't think that Nexon would need to go quite that far for Maplestory. (probably)
    Well, it might be enough that they are thinking about ideas like having multiple versions active at once.