Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I think the Black Mage could be good

This is the same topic that I tried to start previously.

(I would hope that if anyone makes an inappropriate or far off topic comment, that user would be warned or infracted instead of the thread being closed as if the original poster did something wrong)

2. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

Maybe it'd help this second attempt to not get closed if you actually explained your case.

I know somewhere he allegedly said something along the lines of "the ultimate light lies within the ultimate darkness". Could that have something to do with what you're trying to say?

3. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

You start a thread with no solid foundation, nor any evidence to back up the idea, then you proceed to request people discuss it. You're taking the boss of MapleStory, who has been the main antagonist since, what? Pirates came out? You're taking him and saying he's just going to end up being the good guy, despite all of the things he has done.

You're doing nothing but essentially trying to start fan fiction as a "serious" topic of discussion, with no foundation for that fan fiction. Without any kind of proposal on your end, why shouldn't this thread be closed?

4. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

The way I read his idea, it's not about the Black Mage being good for Maple World. It's about the Black Mage being good for MapleStory, the game. This isn't fan fiction, or game lore. It's meta-game. As in, "The only thing that will save MapleStory is if Nexon uses the Black Mage as an excuse to scrap all the bad new things (like potential) and restore the game to the way it was back in the golden age."

5. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

I suppose that's a possibility, but at the same time, I don't think that's any direction that'll ever happen at this point. MapleStory brought in too much revenue to go back to the way it used to be. I logged into the game recently to see how things are and to check out the new Hayato and Kanna revamps, but the way they changed the game is just disgusting. Almost every map is party play (not a bad idea, but in the condition MapleStory is now, it's not feasible), bosses like Zakum are absolutely NOTHING compared to what they used to be, most of the classes are homogenized, and things are just beyond repair.

Even if Nexon were to get rid of things like potential, they would have to completely restructure the game to resemble what it used to be.

6. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

pika, you can't just make a claim without backing it up.

state your reasons for why the black mage might be good so that we actually have something to discuss

7. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

What do I base this idea off of? In the library book side quest, we found out that in the past the Black mage was the White mage. I do not claim to understand his way of thinking but if the super helpful nice guy decided one day to transform into Mr. crazy evil overlord then in theory there could be a perfectly logical explanation to the Black mage's actions.

I LOVE this response.

8. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

White Mage didn't corrupt out of nowhere. His origin story took place over several decades as he slowly became more and more blinded by his own ambition of discovering the ultimate light. He initially wanted it to do good with, but after years and years of pursuing it, it got to the point where he was more obsessed with finding it than actually using it for the good of the people. Finally, he snapped when he came to the realization that after decades of research and hard work, it turned out there was an upper limit to the power of light, but darkness' power was theoretically infinite. Since he was more obsessed with finding the theoretical limit of power at this point than actually using the magic for good, he decided to shift gears and start researching the darkness instead.

It's just the classic story of a hero losing sight of his ideals and becoming the villain.

9. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

I've heard this idea before: maybe he actually is good. At the beginning of the Black Heaven storyline, the alliance was like "The Black Mage is free!" "But why are we still alive?" "I guess he's not at full power", when I'm pretty sure he is. Maybe he is doing good, in that by becoming the source of all evil in Maple World, everyone can focus on getting rid of him, and as a result, when the Black Mage is finally defeated once and for all, the ultimate light can be reached by getting rid of the ultimate darkness.

@Blunderr

10. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

If you were one of my history students, you'd get an invitation for a serious talk about grades.

11. Neon Atom Male
    IGN: TidusAiYuna
    Server: BelloNova
    Level: 204
    Job: Drk
    Guild: Minah<3
    Alliance: Tiffany<3
    Farm: Hyuna<3
    australia

i dont even know the plot after about 8 years of playing maple. i just put npc chat on Y and hold it down during all convos.

12. Lead Ball
    IGN: Watt
    Server: 루na
    Level: 240
    Guild: 깜찍
    Alliance: 깜찍qkff
    Farm: 에디

I'm a gud person though rly.
    trust me, get in my van and i'll show u all

13. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

fuk u

14. Lead Ball

ppl like u give me my bad name and rep =( fuk u too because of your baka shet nigga i am sad
    sad black mage is sad

btw u like my degos hands ?

15. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

u fed ur cat bleach

16. Lead Ball

ofc, eunwol is a bad kitty damn it.

17. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

This thread got derailed real quick.

For pomegranates and giggles, and to put it slightly back on topic, is Pikamemnon suggesting that The Black Mage is (essentially) Lelouch vi Britannia? I have very little memory of the "story" in MapleStory, so I have to ask...Is there actually any story-line basis for this thought, or is it just random conjecture?

18. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

As far as we know, there were no major conflicts in the Maple World before the Black Mage showed up and ruined everything.

But then again, it's been explained that most of the world knows nothing about the Black Mage because the Black Wings have been going around and removing all mention of him from the history books over the millenia. So it's not like records of the history of the Maple World is a very secure thing.

19. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

If we go off of the mentions outside of the game by nexon that he is the reason for the big bang update, then yeah I guess I can kind of see it? But otherwise, there is no basis for any of this from any dialogue given in game. He tried to pursue the ultimate light, became obsessed, hurt countless others with his research without a care, and became corrupted. From then on he's done nothing but try to kill any who oppose him. There is no "Good" to be had here.

20. Default Re: I think the Black Mage could be good

His master plan is to break the Maple World dimension so badly that all of reality fuses with an alternate dimension, causing Alice to be replaced with the insane dictator Transcendence of Life from Grandis, then he can kill/corrupt her once her immortality is gone. That's pretty unquestionably evil.