Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

Big Bang was probably worse all in all, yes, but since the potential system was so real money centered in such an extreme way from the start I hate it even more. Big Bang wouldn't have been half as bad if not for how it worked in synergy with the insane cash grabbing.

2. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

Stole the words out of my mouth. Potential was kind of fine before this update.

3. Electron Male
    IGN: Auguro
    Server: Broa
    Level: 150
    Job: Hayato
    Guild: Nintendo
    Alliance: SmashBros
    Farm: Impleton
    usa

Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

Biggest for me would be the dungeons. I am not really big on being forced to upgrade your gear in order to train in some normal maps. I have to re-adjust my training on all my characters just so I can train. Seeing I need 30 or more upgrades on my gear, just to fight "special" monsters is crazy. But so far I am coping, and I know I am supposed to PQ and spend real cash to level faster but that shouldn't be the only method to level.

4. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Exactly these.
    That was the patch that literally broke the camel's back for me and actually made me 100% quit and uninstall.
    At least for me, the 999,999 cap was an achievable goal and didn't require ridiculous requirements.

5. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

Big bang. I played a lot before it and put a lot of effort on my characters and their gear. Back then I only spent like $10 (or $20 at most) very rarely on cosmetic stuff and that was it. Big bang did make some things about the game better but it annoyed me that all my effort before that point felt useless.

To be honest though, it didn't matter at all, and I think that's why it didn't stop me from coming back a couple times (and quitting right away too lol). All of my irl friends that played back then had quit long before that and I lost contact with online friends. I never figured or cared to find out if anyone still played.

6. Neon Atom
    IGN: Hellstinger
    Server: Broa
    Level: 250
    Job: F/P Archmage
    Guild: Kingliner/Onmyouji
    Farm: Melody
    canada

R.E.D. and elemental mages didn't really mix.

The aspects of lightning and poison felt like they were afterthoughts instead of actually part of said classes.

7. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

The list is too long for "most". :x

One big one I'd say is Power Creep and it's effects on the community.
    Of course, I'm not implying everyone "funded" is this way, but you don't need to be a complete ass just because you have high/capped damage. While this does happen in any situation, I haven't seen it to such a degree as it is on Maple.

Everything feels so given. I know there are people who won't like what I'm about to say.
    Maple is an easy game to progress now. The only major problem is having to keep up with DPS/gear, which sad to say, comes down to "How open is your wallet?" for many. That said, there are those like me,albeit minority now probably, who enjoy actually having accomplishments via effort put in.

8. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

The act of releasing a class and then later doing a "balance/nerf/update". I remember when it happened to Phantoms. I was fine with % nerfs, but the cool down on the teleport thingy was the nail in the coffin for me.

9. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

I'll tell ya what trolled me the most.

Saving my Unique ra top and unique sw accessory for the anniversary in hopes to be able to scroll it nicely.

10. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

Big Bang and after. That's when I quit.

I didn't make these pics so excuse the horrible language in them but the point remains.
    Spoiler

Spoiler

11. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

@ShinkuDragon; wow u r pro photoshopper

12. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

The 50m cap + %hp attacks (forgot when that was)

;-;

my pali was never the same again

13. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

Yeah exactly. Potential as a concept isn't a bad idea. Plenty of games implement similar features. Diablo is all about a potential-type system in all of your gear. The problem is that it is nearly impossible to "happen upon" gear that was above Epic, and the fact that using cubes (IE Spending money) could permanently upgrade the tier of your gear made it a completely cash out system. The Legendary tier being added was Nexon just cashing in on it. They saw people bulk buying cubes and realized that they could extort them. Then they built the game around the higher end of this system, forcing you to pay or not be able to experience new content, which is the primary reason I quit.

The potential system had, for lack of a better word, potential.

I can never say that Big Bang was a bad patch in my opinion. It did some massive rebalancing that MapleStory desperately needed. MapleStory was a typical Korean MMO through and through for the time it was released. That means big grind for little reward. It was initially built around you spending days upon days to get a single level, and never seeing a drop worth your time. I remember playing for weeks in JMS to get Level 70, and that was with 2x EXP cards AND the 1.2x EXP boost that JMS had from its launch at the time. I spent weeks to get 70, and I felt like I didn't really accomplish anything. That had to change.

Additionally, there were so many areas they added that had literally no point. I remember being around when Ariant was added to the game. It added literally nothing of value. There was a new set of maps, new mobs...but in the end...everything was Level 30-40. It was pointless content. There were a hundred other areas of monsters that were better, with better spawn, etc.. It was useless. It had no point. There were tons of these areas in the game, and most content additions suffered this problem. I remember KFT and Omega Sector both also having this issue. When there was an area added with high level content, it had a different issue. I was around when Aqua Road was added to the game and it had a very low level section, and a very high level section, but absolutely no middle ground area. There was nothing for someone who wasn't strong enough to take on sharks, but too strong to bother with shrimps. There was no middle ground, no where to really grind, and no quests or anything to make me care about any particular area in the game.

Both of these issues were fixed with Big Bang. Sure, some people don't like how if the monster is level X, they always give Y experience, and I can't blame them, it's a valid complaint. There's several other valid complaints about Big Bang, as well. But compared to what existed back when I played before Big Bang? I'll take Big Bang, please. Not every change is positive, but the game was far better off than before Big Bang if you ignore the fact that the patch before Big Bang was the beginning of potential, and therefore the end. The core game was significantly improved. It's a shame that they then took potential and morphed it into the abomination that it is today.

14. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

man this is funny, i posted those on a warframe thread ages ago, i am now curious if you got them from there or somewhere else.

lol, thanks.

15. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

I found them on /vg/

16. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

Those are some confident odds there. I suspect a little over 2x the cost depending on how badly the RNG gods wanna play with your wallet
    @ShinkuDragon where is part 6 :3

17. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

The IP block restriction on Europe, I do understand and respect it. EMS didn't exist in 2007 when i first started playing. Things change and it would be unfair for me to expect anything else, so yeah I understand it. But it did upset me, because i realized that i could never invite new friends or loved ones to play with me in Global MapleStory.

18. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

I don't know or even really remember all that big bang did, but I know it was after this point that the game really went to pomegranate. So I'll list my personal biggest peeves w/ Maple.

#1 - Hidden Potential - obviously

I hate how Nexon provides so many areas to train at but only a few of them are worthwhile. People completely abandon certain places in Ludi and all over the damn place just to train at aliens or whatever, and so on as the levels progress. They should have made every similarly-leveled monster have adequate exp and spawn to make training worthwhile anywhere. Maybe they did this to "bring people together" but I think they are just dumbasses.

I hate how it is faster to train than to party quest, especially in the lower levels. I hate how they MOVED THE PARTY QUESTS OUT OF THE CITIES as if that was a good idea. Now Kerning and Ghost Ship place etc. etc. are all ghost towns. Sad. They should make party quests have an edge over training, even on 2x so that people are compelled to do them. This will make the game 100x more enjoyable because you will be with other people.

Need I say, Lionheart Castle? LHC wasn't too bad IMO because it actually brought people together to train, for once, but Nexon you done pineappleed it up by neglecting to ban the hackers and patch the hacks that were ruining the fun in the areas.

WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TELEPORT ROCKS? Taking out the boat and making it really easy to traverse around with the various methods like going to the Kaiser place and then going to wherever, etc. kind of take away a lot of fun of exploration of Maple. Now you can get to wherever you want just by accepting certain quests or using certain shortcuts. The boats were an awesome time chatting with people and while yes I agree that 20 minutes or whatever is way too long just to move places, I think you should definitely still have to wait a bit.

Not sure why every class has flash jump. I thought the whole point of being a thief was to have the highest mobility? Now everyone has flash jump, and there are other classes that aren't thieves that have higher speed caps than I do? WHAT?

Too tired to type more, but some stuff about bossing and how it should be impossible to solo and how parties should be necessary and how the damage cap is absurd, yada

19. Mercury Straight Male
    IGN: MagiRico
    Server: LoL NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Jungle/Top/Supp
    Guild: Deny
    Alliance: Eternal
    Kansas

Big Bang brought some drastically needed balance changes; or at the very least; balance direction. It also brought good areas and concepts to the game.

Potential as well was a good idea in theory. Communism is also a good idea until human nature gets involved though :^)

Combining the two led to a lot of problems only because of Cubing. Game would be a lot better off if cubing(or at least, cubing with the massive pay wall attached) was never introduced to the game.

pomegranate was still playable until Unlimited. After that dropped the game. It's like they weren't even trying to hide the bullpomegranate anymore.

20. Default Re: So what change to maplestory rustled your jimmies the most?

I feel that Big Bang is where it all kinda started, where Nexon pushed the envelope a little too far and since then just kept pushing it. BB had a lot of really good changes, but also so unnecessary ones imo.

I feel like Maple, at a time, was very party oriented rather it be PQs or party play maps or bossing. Now, it seems like anyone can do anything solo with the right amount of cash and leveling is merely a joke until about 2xx? I don't miss grinding for hours just to level once in the upper 8x but the current scaling is crazy imo.