Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Why did you first start playing this game?

WHY? Was it plain old boredom? Looking for something, someone or perhaps some other thing? How has the journey been? Were you able to find what you were looking for?

2. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

Was looking for a new MMO to play. Remembered it from some friends talking about it. I had fun. I met people. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just something to do in my free time.

In the end, I would have probably never found SP or met some of my current friends if it wasn't for Maplestory. So that's something.

3. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

It was in middle school, I was still reeling from Ragnarok Online got pay to play. Then my friend told me about this new free to play sidescroller.....

4. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

I was an immature idiot and saw an ad for the golden poop stick while reading naruto manga seven years ago.

5. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

It was better than Runescape

6. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

I had just upgraded from dial up, so I looked for games I could download and somehow came across the game. I jumped in about 3 months before beta ended. I had no idea what a beta even was back then, so I wasn't expecting the character wipe at all. I was a bit upset, but my stats were pineappleed anyway so it was a fresh start I suppose. Those were the days...

...And no, I'm not saying maple was better back then, I'm saying that the game was just so much more dam fun when everything was still new, and there were areas you wouldn't dare explore because the mobs would kill you in 2 hits or completely drain your potions. I do miss the massive maps and random dead ends we used to have, though. Maplestory doesn't really have much room for just silly exploring anymore..

7. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

With exploring I don't think it's that there's no room for it, just no one wants to. Extractions show us all the maps and whats good for training. Very rarely do people do quests for just doing quests now. I've done all the theme dungeons on all the characters I play and even just obscure quests. As stupid and weird this games story is, I love it. I guess I'm just a rare breed that loves exploring and seeing whats new.

OT: My family was heavily affected by Hurricane Katrina. As in we lost everything. My parents got me a computer once I started a new school and my best friend said he saw something about a game still in beta called "Maplestory." Well..after I asked my parents if it was okay if I could play it (I was 10 at the time) they said yeah and well.. I've been playing since.

8. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

My friend begged me for 3 months to play it. I played it for like 4 months and quit because of how boring pre BB was. I came back to legends and now I have no idea why I'm still around.

9. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

Watching my best friend's older brother KPQ with a level 24 Magician sold it for me.

10. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

I was invited to try out the beta by a friend I met from playing Diablo 2. Man diablo 2 was such a great game.

11. Proton Straight Male
    IGN: RenmazuoDX
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 220
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Mugiwaras
    Alliance: Imperium
    Farm: RenVilleDX
    Kentucky

Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

Beginning of 2006, I was very heavily into playing C&C Renegade online, the only online game I'd ever played before so I started getting curious about other online games. Did some research on other online games and then went to YouTube to watch footage from some of them and for some reason or another, Maple Story really caught my eye so I decided to download it and have been playing it ever since.

12. Can of Soup Male
    IGN: LunaMimosa
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 134
    Job: OP Elf Queen
    Guild: Some no-name guild
    Alliance: Read above.

Literally i had been playing PSO offline for 2 years, couldn't get an online subscription cause young/no job. Wanted to play a MMO online and back then, Maple was the only F2P result on google that didn't look completely hideous. So i took a chance.

13. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

I was mesmerized when I saw an advertisement of the Easter event with the Easter Bunny NPC and the golden eggs. Beautiful golden eggs in 2D.

14. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

I started playing with a friend of mine from a forum I used to frequent. Unfortunately, we stopped being friends at some point and the forum I went to eventually died...but I kept playing Maple and tried to meet new people to talk to. (It hasn't been as successful as I'd hoped though, I hardly talk to anyone but myself nowadays...)

15. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

Back in highschool a friend kept talking about it and told me of a place that I could play it(back then I didn't have internet due to reasons) couldn't play for much because no money to pay for a long playing session(I think it took me like a month to get to 24 back when khaini was a month old), funny enough I ended up getting a job there could pay for internet for my house and the kids back there began to praise me because I was leveling so fast.

16. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

I used to play Runescape and Adventure Quest super casually but I had some people that I knew that began to play a game called MapleStory and the simplicity of the game was what made it click for me. I remember playing sometime before/after the release of the Khaini release, I also remember being so addicted that I was making the MapleStory jump sound because the sound was just so pleasant to me when I was sitting in my desk in class. (Hopefully nobody thought I was mentally unstable??????)

I've been playing this game for way too long.

17. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

I played .hack series on my PS2 and I was like "LET'S TRY A REAL ONLINE GAME" and I remember seeing this ad for Maplestory everywhere at the time.

18. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

My sisters were playing it and at the time I wanted to be like them (silly younger me), so I got my dad to set up an account.

I still haven't reached level 200 after all these years... I probably never will. I've stopped trying to level.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

My son was 8 when he started playing (I'm not sure what made him pick it up; probably friends), and could barely speak English, much less read it. So he was constantly asking me to translate quest instructions, item descriptions, skill descriptions, etc.

The game reminded me of all the D&D-type games I used to play when I was younger. Those were text or ASCII-graphics, but had the same concepts of defeating monsters for loot, spells, equipment, leveling up, etc. I also really liked the music of MapleStory.

And when I grew frustrated at my son not listening to my advice, I thought, "I'll show him how it should be done," and made my own account.
    (Turns out most of what I thought at the time was completely wrong, but eventually I learned).

20. Default Re: Why did you first start playing this game?

It looked cute.