Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32030270
    Starting to develop that "irrational fear of flying".

2. Default Re: Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

Unjustified fear, don't worry.
    http://traveltips.usatoday.com/air-t...avel-1581.html

"1:98 chance of dying in a car accident during a lifetime, and 1:7178 in an airplane"

Air travel is WAY way wayyyyyy safer than driving.

3. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    finland

Default Re: Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

I know, that's why I said it's irrational. It's just that my imagination is visual and I've seen dreams about these things. Plane crash seems like one of the nastiests ways to die and that's what bothers me more than the probability.

Many fears are irrational, fear of flying is common from what I've read. Probably because the skies aren't really a natural habitat for us humans.

4. Default Re: Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

You're a satellite, you're not allowed to be afraid of the skies. It's kind of where you live.

5. Default Re: Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

I can understand that. After 9/11, I developed a similar fear. I was (almost) 8, so after seeing that unfold on the news, the idea of flying was horrifying; 8 year-old me pretty much thought getting on a plane might as well be instant death. I'm ashamed to say, the fact that I usually flew with my parents gave me some morbid comfort in the fact that, if we were ever to crash, at least we could die together.

Over the years, the fear seemed to fade; either it's part of my becoming stupidly brave phase or just the fact that I usually stay up late and I usually take early morning flights, so I pass out the instant I get seated and sleep through the entire flight. Also possibly some kind of bizarre reverse gambler's fallacy: the more safe flights I go on, the more I feel like the next one will probably be safe.

6. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

Apparently the black box indicates that one of the pilots left the cockpit and was unable to get back in. He should've been able to open the door with a code, unless the other pilot deliberately wanted to lock the other pilot out.

Seems like a high possibility that this crash was a suicide terrorist attack. :(

7. Default Re: Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

The crash was so hard that the second black box, the data recorder was destroyed and the memory chip lost, so the investigators will have a tough time figuring out what happened.

8. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

why terrorist? if anything this sounds like a pilot who lost his marbles and decided to suicide with a plane.

9. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

There was no official statement from the investigators at the time I made that post and details were unclear. You're right though, there doesn't seem to be any terrorist motives. Sad truth here is that many people would presume a terrorist plot, if the pilot would've been Ahmed, instead of Andreas.

And I still find it kinda pineappleed up that the media is talking about suicide and "extended suicide". When there's a school shooting where the gunman kills himself in the end, it's not like we call that "extended suicide". It's called mass murder.

10. Default Re: Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

If it was a terrorist or politically related attack someone would have taken credit for it by now. Just sounds to me like someone went postal and decided to kill as many people as they possibly could with as little effort as possible. Tragic :\

11. Default Re: Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...manwings-crash

IT WAS AN INTENTIONAL CRASH, THE COPILOT SABOTAGED THE COCKPIT LOCKOUT AND KILLED EVERYONE.
    HOLY BALLS THIS MAKES ME MAD.

12. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i was just going off by the content of your post, a terrorist would have crashed the plane somewhere populated rather than the middle of nowhere alps.
    and it seems i might have hit the jackpot, not checking that site though. but how odd, you don't just get sit on the copilot's seat. also this is why several airliners have one of the flight crew go in when one of the captains leaves the cockpit

13. Default Re: Plane Crashes in French Alps, 148 dead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/germanw...011724?cmp=rss

Sounds like the guy was possibly having mental health issues and kept it hidden out of fear of losing his license.