Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

About what?

Although, to be fair, it's been proven that not only can a KO Charge Blade outmatch the KO given by Hammer altogether, it can also do more damage than it AND cut tails. It's literally better than Hammer in every way.

Other than that though, I'm not sure what there's to give CB flak about.

If you were to say Insect Glaive or Lance users, I'd be fine with that. Every IG/Lancer that I've played online with so far has spammed their respective vaulting ability and spammed mounting to the point of ridiculousness.

2. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

I imagine the Charge Blade was OP, given the X+A Axe special with the red shield charge.

3. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Long Sword users are the bane of my existence, even more so when I go SnS.

I also have noticed a lot of players in HR without active skills- they just slop together whatever parts they can find (just an observation, they aren't necessarily bad players).
    Last edited by Hypermug; 2015-02-26 at 10:23 PM.

4. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

The amount of people in late High Rank online who don't have Wystones is deeply disturbing me.

5. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

I admit I just found out about those earlier- I had no idea what they were until I read about them on game faqs. I'm only on hr 4 (7 for caravan) so I guess that's my excuse.

6. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

What are Wystones? Starting Guild after I finish Offline so I wanted to know in advance

7. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Essentially, you apply them to your weapon and you gain specific buffs when you fight a Frenzied monster. If you deal enough damage while a stone is applied, it temporarily knocks the monster out of Frenzy and makes it behave normally/can't infect you.

8. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

It's because people aren't playing Single Player.

It's always been a problem in Monster Hunter, but before 4 it didn't matter. This is the first game where playing the offline mode is pivotal to your success. Not only do you unlock content like Wystones, but you unlock trading materials. Most people are just used to going online and playing the entire game online.

I've also noticed a lot of really pathetic online players in G Rank gear, or other clear signs that they've rushed the game. It's really depressing. I had a G Rank Full Seregios Armor player have the same or less food upgrades than I did at Low Rank (I only had 2 Veggie, 1 Fish, and 2 Drink and that was it, and it didn't upgrade when he was in my hall which it would have if he had better). He also proceeded to get completely wrecked by Low Rank Rathian. He almost died twice and was KO'd more times than I could count.

People are just rushing to end-game without any idea of how to play. Monster Hunter is definitely a franchise that you don't want to do that with, and it shows.

Edit: Also, to be fair, High Rank doesn't really need Wystones. They didn't even exist in MH4 (they were added in 4G). They're certainly nice to have, but not necessary. When you start running into Extreme State monsters (or whatever it's called in the English version) is when you really need them. The Frenzy Virus can benefit you, if you're good enough, especially with Chaos Magala gear.

As a note...finally made the last Low Rank Hammer (getting a Garuga GQ was a peach and a half). Unlocked HR4's Urgent earlier today. Finally ready to start High Rank. Gonna do the same thing I did in Low Rank, not going to G Rank until I get all of the High Rank Hammers.

Edit 2: Out of curiosity...how have you guys been doing with your Dah'ren Mohran runs? I just did it with 3 randoms...and it was kind of depressing. They had no idea what they were doing and the worst part was that I couldn't even attempt to tell them what to do due to the chat limitations. First, none of them had any armor skills. Second, they would spam the Hunting Gong and the Dragonator the second they were available. The last part is a tad baffling...considering the thing doesn't even point toward Mohran for 99% of the run... I'm happy I grabbed the Ballista Binder, so I could cancel him at least some of the time during his major attacks. None of them ate for Bombardier, which is kind of understandable because it's a pretty unknown skill, it's basically only good for this fight (unless you Gunlance or Bowgun), but still. I had an Insect Glaive player constantly try to vault on to it and completely miss nearly every single time. The only times he succeeded were times where you could jump on him normally anyway. Then during the showdown, they were attacking him when he was barely in bounds, which could have killed him and pushed him out of bounds, completely eliminating carve rewards. When he staggered, they ran up his arms even though the blowhole was already broken and just kept bouncing off of the back. Not sure why they thought they were doing more damage.

Maybe I'm just used to my main group of friends who play, who are all pretty versed in Mohran runs, but this seemed a tad ridiculous to me, even for new players. Some of this stuff seems common sense to me, though, like the fact that the giant spear on the front of the ship only hits things in front of it. I like to imagine that fighting a giant monster on the very edge of the map should be a red light to people too, but then again I've played in Freedom 1 days, when tails could magically fall on cliffs that you can't reach and make them useless carves.

I liked that the franchise is more popular...but now I'm kind of divided between happy and sad about it.
    Last edited by Polantaris; 2015-02-27 at 06:31 PM.

9. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

All of these things happened to me. I sat and watched as the team killed Mohran outside of the boundary.

I always nab the ballista binder now too because people keep spamming the gong.

Maybe if this quest was in the caravan early on (don't know if it's there at all), people would realize through failure how to use these utilities better- it's how I learned in 3U. After having my ship destroyed I realized I could just stop its attacks by waiting for it to do something.

10. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Question, is Dah'Ren any different than Jhen? Because if it is, then taking him on may be easy peasy for me.

11. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Only difference is he can launch a spire from his back and disable the gong and whichever cannon is facing him. Also his dragonator timing is different, it's a lot tighter.

12. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

I'm happy to know I'm not the only one whose experienced this. I think the worst part is that the tutorial at the beginning of the game basically shows you exactly how to fight Dah'ren. It goes over climbing on him, Ballista Binder, Ballista S, Cannon S, and even when to use the Hunting Gong and Dragonator. You can't even skip that tutorial. It's forced on you. So there's almost no reason for not knowing some of the more basic things like to use the Hunting Gong when he's about to stomach-smash the ship and the Dragonator when he's rushing the front.

As a note, he is available offline. He's the last Low Rank quest you unlock, but you have to go through effort to unlock him. After you finish the offline campaign that was for MH4 (Defeat Shagaru Magala), they tell you to go to Dodoruma, which starts High Rank content. However, you can also stay in the other towns and get several more requests. A lot of them are Dual fights with Frenzied monsters. Eventually they have you fight Brachydios, Frenzied Brachydios, and then Dah'ren. I made my Dah'ren Hammer without going online, and I'm happy I spent the time to do it because my online run was just so sad.

To add a little to what Secun said, he also has two different points you can get on his back. One requires his arm to be broken on that side. He also picks and chooses when you can go on his back, some runs you get no opportunity to get on his back what so ever. Overall he's the same fight. Some of the timing is different, and they adapted some of the y axis mechanics (the ship can be toppled and you have to hang on to the side) but overall the fight is the same. Especially at the showdown.

13. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

So I just got a HR Oroshi Kirin GQ with SA/CB/IG bias. Anyone have one with LBG bias?

14. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

So I just took up a new weapon: the hunting horn! This thing is fun as hell. Only problem is my wallet is constantly hurting with my weapon roster (although probably not as much as @Polantaris'). I'm using the following: great swords, sword and shields, switch axes, hunting horns, light boyguns, and heavy bowguns.

I also just got to HR 5 for the guild quests. My urgent quest happened to have a gold crown monster . I have no idea if the size of the monsters affects anything, but the battle felt harder than usual and my party almost wiped even though we just destroyed the same monster for somebody else.

15. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Actually, I'm pretty rich. I'm around 200k zeny and haven't been lower than 150k in some time. Once I start making High Rank Hammers in excess though I'm sure my wallet will cry a bit. My suggestion when you really need money: Sell materials. You almost always end up with a lot of a few, and High Rank and G Rank materials sell for a lot. My method is to sell to the nearest multiple of 5, without going below 10. Usually when I sell a lot I end up with a good amount of money. The late game ores sell for a lot too, and if you go charm hunting you'll have a lot of those.

The size affects...well their size. Which makes their hitboxes larger, which makes them harder to dodge. It used to also affect their health, I believe, but I'm unsure if that's still the case. I forget, what's the HR5 urgent anyway?

16. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Haha, I guess I should have been more specific. Does it affect their attack, defense, or health at all? Or is it just their hitboxes? HR5's urgent is
    Spoiler

And jesus that's a lot of zenny. I think I have 30k? I know I make way too many things, but having a lot of different armor sets and weapons makes me happy.

17. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

I think size just affects hitboxes, and possibly health, but I don't think so (not anymore at least) considering the wikis for the game have static health values with multipliers based on rank but not size. So I think hitboxes are the only thing size affects.

Spoiler

I think most of my money came from having to grind for the dumb Jumbo Bones. I did a lot of dual quests with monsters that had them as carves, so I racked up a lot of money with nothing to spend it on. Once I get to the harder monsters in High Rank I'm sure I'll be losing most of that money. Especially when it comes to Elder Dragon weapons. That stuff is always expensive.

We should set up a time to coop sometime. I don't think I've ever actually played MH with you before. Plus most randoms who join are in a rush to get to G Rank, which is stupid in my opinion. I've had more than a few people leave because I hadn't posted a key quest.

18. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Heck yeah. I'm free anytime between 5 PM EST and 11 PM EST on weekdays. Weekends I can play whenever.

19. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Up to play right now...?

Also, have Skype or Steam? Easier to communicate though that rather than the game. Feel free to PM me if you want.

20. Default Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Reviews and Discussion

Haha I just got off. How about tomorrow? I need to be to work tomorrow earlier than usual and was about to go sleep.

And yep, I have Skype. It's the same as my username here.