1. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

NY Times: Saudis Begin Public Caning to Punish a Blogger

TheGuardian: Global outrage at Saudi Arabia as jailed blogger receives public flogging

Saudi fatwa banning snowmen triggers heated debate

Saudis condemned the Charlie Hebro attack, because they would've preferred a proper Sharia execution of the cartoonists and everyone reading their paper instead.

Time to stop downplaying the problem. Time to stop pretending that it's less than 1% of Islam being a problem even though all the polling results show the opposite, even though there's entire nations killing for homosexuality, apostasy, atheism, blasphemy. etc. Time to stop labeling everyone who speaks about the problem "racists" or "fundamentalist atheists" like the western PR guy of Islam, Reza Aslan has been doing.

2. Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

From a rational perspective, time to stop all that, but time to start, what? Should we just make a disease that specifically targets Muslims and the only cure is to eat pork so they have to choose between their god or their life?

You're fighting an ideology, a very loud, barbaric, misrepresented ideology, there is no solution you and I could make that wouldn't condemn the entire, not even religion, but culture. I understand your frustration, believe me I do, but the USA has been in war(foolishly) regarding just this, look what it's accomplished.

3. Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

Sure there are solutions, but none that we in the more "civilized" world are willing to use. You think they would keep going if they knew that every single one of their captured members would be tortured by getting their skin cut off and salt mixed with pig's blood was poured into the wounds? Their whole reason for doing this is they think it will get them into a good afterlife, if we had the intent, we could pineapple them up in ways like that.

4. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

The biggest mistake is exactly that-> people think that criticism against ideology is hate against the people. Liberals are so scared of being put on the same side with the far right politicians, that they're defending ideologies and ideas that are everything but liberal.

I'm not saying that the majority of muslims are islamists, many are victims of islamists. Those kids killed in their school in Pakistan were muslim. Most in the town that Boko Haram attacked were muslim. Many people also confuse islamism with terrorism.

I'm not suggesting military action, I'm as anti-war as you can be. Answering violence with violence creates even more violence (Iraq War). Islamism is like a Hydra, you kill one head and you get two more. Stuff that US and Israel have done have effectively just fueled terrorist ideology against the western world.

What could we do then? In this case, west should start with US and UK cutting their ties to Saudi government. Unfortunately I doubt this will ever happen as long as oil is as valuable as it is nowadays.

As for Charlie Hebro case, every paper should publish mohammed cartoons. You can be sure that if you submit to one of their demands, there's a lot more to follow. That's the message of an ex-muslim whose friend was killed for much same reasons as the cartoonists at Charlie Hebro:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...bdo-alive.html

The reason why I wanted to make this thread was because all this is hitting kind of close home for me. I love to draw and want to do that for a living, growing up I wanted to be a cartoonist. I'm also an atheist and I've been very critical of organized religions. Charlie could've been me.

5. Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

Even if oil wasn't a factor, the US would not be able to cut ties with the Saudis.

6. Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

I truly wonder what the world would look like if religion didn't exist.

7. Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

I'm willing to think, no different at all, probably kill each other over the next important thing.

8. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

We'd find plenty of other reasons to hate and kill each other. We're really good at it.

I think Khaini said it really well this time. Trying to fight an idea is ineffectual at best and incendiary at worst. The only really constructive thing we can do lead by example and fight the various forms of intolerance where we can.

9. Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

Answering from a sociology point of view, if you mean like formal religion with gods and all we would probably just have a stronger social religion in place(like worship of the group/country)

And to comment on @Arrol depending on what kind of sociologist you are they would agree with you. Marx believed religion was used as an oppressing device if not religion it be something else to keep people with their heads low to just obey the people with the means of production while others see religion as a pro social glue that helps keep community and interactions alive in society and it benefits them.

Tbh to answer the question bluntly as a species from the earliest they could reason if religion didn't exist in any form I don't think we would of survived. It's done it's job I think it's time we let it go now though. This was typed on an iPod so mercy please for spelling and or grammar errors q.q

10. Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?

I'm just passing by... Money is a religion to some too...

Hadriel

11. Default Re: Blogger Sentenced to 1000 blows and Snowmen to be banned?