Server: Galicia
    Level: 206
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Exploited
    Alliance: Family
    Farm: StarWars
    mexico

Default Windows 10

So today we got a bunch of cool stuff announced by Microsoft.

Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 will receive a free upgrade to Windows 10 for a full year after Windows 10 official release date.

Xbox One games will be able to be streamed on PC, with PC and Xbox One cross playing. Game DVR will be available on both PC and Xbox.
    Also, we are getting an Xbox App for the PC to allow easier playing between both devices.

Cortana (Siri-like AI based on the HALO videogames) is coming with all windows 10 devices.

Good bye Internet Explorer, hello Project Spartan, the new web browser.

Spoiler

And, one of the biggest announcements to date, Microsoft Hololens!

I'm all set for a heavily involved Hologram lifestyle.

Source:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...ws-windows-10/
    Last edited by Eliseo; 2015-01-21 at 07:54 PM.

2. Default Re: Windows 10

Does Windows 10 still have the terrible start menu? Does it still feel like I'm using two separate OS's that are constantly fighting for dominance?

3. Default Re: Windows 10

Umm.. what happened to windows 9? Is it cool to skip numbers now or something?

4. Desk Straight Male
    IGN: NatsuEliseo
    mexico

Default Re: Windows 10

This is how the start menu will look:

I believe it solves the issue you had problems with?

And @Justin; it looks like the number 10 was more profitable? It was supposed to be a selling more related stuff.

Also, here is a HoloLens video:

5. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Why the pineapple would I ever want to stream games from xbox to a pc?
    I would understand pc to xbox, since I can just kick the couch and be comfy, but the other way around?
    As for DirectX12 it's nice and cool and hopefully this could mean the end of bad ported games but we still need to see how it developes.

As for the rest of the stuff.. I seriously couldn't care less...
    Edit: That ad for the hololens, where have I seen something like that? oh yeah when they started advertising the kinect, it all seem great in the tech demo but in reality... we know how it turned out.
    Calling it a fail right now
    (hopes I'm wrong)

6. Desk Straight Male
    mexico

I also hope you are wrong. I am truly interested in the hololens, specially since it's a really nice alternative to the VR tech (Oculus and Porject Morpheus).
    I think of it as a step in the right direction, and more so ever since Major Nelson (Phil Spencer) has said it will support the Xbox One.

I do agree streaming from PC to xbox would be quite a nice perk.

7. Deluxe Refrigerator Straight Male
    IGN: Blackraven16
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 176
    Job: Fire/Posion
    Guild: Osomga
    usa

streaming to the internet?

8. Default Re: Windows 10

Windows 9 is an update to 8.1, if I remember correctly. Essentially yes, they skipped 9. I've never heard a good reason as to why.

It seems it will solve Start Menu issue, at least. The second part remains to be seen.

Xbox -> PC -> Twitch TV without penalizing the console itself to do it, nor needing a capture card or anything like that. I can see the pros.

9. Default Re: Windows 10

There was a bunch of speculation on why they skipped 9 but nothing solid. People were saying it was because of how old software was written to look for "Windows 9*" (A la Windows 95 or 98)

10. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that PS4 and XboxOne have a built-in streaming app for twitch.

11. Default Re: Windows 10

The PS4 does. Not sure about Xbone

12. Desk Straight Male
    mexico

The Xbox One does have a built in streaming app already. The biggest thing was the announcement of cross platform multiplayer, imo. Streaming to PC is just a small not very useful extra.

Also, here is a Windows 10 Xbox video:

13. Default Re: Windows 10

I wonder if that means we'll be getting real drivers for the Xbox One controller very soon. The drivers that currently exist for Windows are basically jerry-rigged Xbox 360 drivers. Like 3 applications that the drivers start crash instantly upon initialization and you have to manually initialize them every time the controller is plugged in. Above that, there's no configuration and the default deadzone for the analogs is so ridiculously small that it's impossible to use a controller that's older than a month. I've tried three of my friend's controllers and while they work fine on their Xbox One, on my PC I get massive drift on at least one analog, it's unusable.

14. Default Re: Windows 10

Best news I've heard all week.

They're totally trying to throw in Halo references wherever they can huh?

15. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Everyone's talking about Windows 10, while I'm blown away by HoloLens. Didn't think I would say this but Microsoft just beat Google Glass before it even got released.

16. Default Re: Windows 10

Google glass stopped production 2 or 3 days ago.

17. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

Hololens now 100% more italian

18. Default Re: Windows 10

it's got to do with programming for compatibility and the windows 98 fiasco
    basically a lot of older programs in checking with what operating system the program is running look at the os.version registry key

and a LOT of stuff was coded to simply look to see if the key contained "windows.9" for windows 98.