IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default 3DS XL or n3DS?

Should I buy a refurbished Nintendo 3DS XL for $140 + shipping, or hold out for the new 3DS?

The extra control stick might be nice for Smash, and extra beefed-up hardware all around would be cool. Not to mention 3d that follows my eyes.

The main concern are the exclusive games. I don't really play Xenoblade but I may in the future. Also, if the new Pokemon is on the new 3DS...

I won't be playing that many games on it, mainly Pokemon (I'll pick up OR/AS on the same day, and maybe X/Y soon after unless Z is announced). However, I will probably be spending hundreds of hours on it (I'll be going for a Living Dex + doing some 6 IV breeding). I might pick up Smash.

Thoughts?

2. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

Default Re: 3DS XL or n3DS?

I can't imagine them putting out (m)any AAA games that work solely on the New systems; much like with the DSi, I think it'll be a novelty in the end. If you're looking to pick up a system right now then your only real option is the refurb XL anyway - the New systems won't be out in the states for a while.

3. Default Re: 3DS XL or n3DS?

I'm having the same dilemma corn. I'm gonna get a xl because I think Nintendo wouldn't be dumb enough to release a lot of new 3ds exclusives and lose money... Aka what Jahn said.

4. Default Re: 3DS XL or n3DS?

As someone who has the New 3DS LL (Japan import), it's worth it. I mean, solely the fact that you can load and close Smash as an application instantly makes it a thousand times worth it. The C-Nub, the extra 3D capacities, ZL/ZR buttons and whatnot are just a side bonus.

Oh, and by the way, certain games do not have reduced frame rate reductions when the 3D mode is activated. Pokemon is one of those games. I think it's a thing built into those games to make it not melt the original series of 3DSes by overloading it. Nintendo has stated this to be a thing in the past with other titles (such as reducing frame rates in Zelda when attacking multiple enemies with a spin attack, though they claim to do it for "added effect").

5. Default Re: 3DS XL or n3DS?

I agree with Link. I also have a n3DS XL (got the MH4G bundle), and it's well worth it. The games that make use of the improved hardware and the additional buttons are greatly improved (mostly Smash + MH4G/4U, honestly, but both of those games will fill time for weeks if you enjoy them). Plus the knowledge that in the future, there will be games that require the n3DS, makes it silly to buy a new regular 3DS in my opinion at this time.

The improved 3D also is great, and really makes the feature usable.

6. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: 3DS XL or n3DS?

Looks like I'm waiting for the new 3DS then. Pokemon will have to wait.

Thanks.