1. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Default Let's talk about: The Dunning-Kruger effect

From wikipedia:
    Do you know anyone like this in your job, school or home?

And since this is a gaming site, do you think this effect can apply in your favorite multiplayer game?

2. Default Re: Let's talk about: The Dunning-Kruger effect

Pretty sure my coworkers would feel me as the later, tbh I'm not familiar with anyone who is terrific at something and just doesn't admit to it. My best friend is more humble about it to fish for compliments, also being a perfectionist doesn't help it much

3. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Default Re: Let's talk about: The Dunning-Kruger effect

From you or from him/her ?

I could relate this effect to some peers I had back in my college.
    And now to many friends I play with (online speaking), and with the boom of the MOBA's from a couple of years it seems that more and more people can be allocated under this effect. Or maybe is just easier to identify.

Dr. Dunning is running an AMA right now on reddit.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comm...ning_a_social/

4. Default Re: Let's talk about: The Dunning-Kruger effect

I wouldn't know in real life. I try really hard to do things right and people at school and work tell I'm good and sometimes even great at what I do and I end up believing them and thinking very highly of myself... while still being insecure about everything I do. I guess I go from to the other irl.

In games I feel like I'm fairly reasonable about my skill. At least in Dota, the only game that I play in which skill actually matters a lot, I'm average and rather bad at certain things. Friend tells me that I've improved a lot but I still feel like an average scrub at it because my left hand motor skill is very limited and can only go so far. In this one I'd say I'm neither or the former.

5. Default Re: Let's talk about: The Dunning-Kruger effect

Him, I'm a cut corners type of guy to be honest. I love efficiency, everything has to be perfect for him. For example;
    Spoiler

It took me /months/ to convince him to let me upload this, because he honestly told me he didn't find it impressive enough, that it just get ridiculed and pomegranate. The only legitimate problem is that he did "STRAWHAT" all caps, but besides that I couldn't ask for anything better

6. Default Re: Let's talk about: The Dunning-Kruger effect

I've been guilty of the beginner form of it in terms of art, and I've seen it around a lot in other artists too. Its nothing groundbreaking imo, people being too stupid to realize their stupidity is an idea thats been around for a long time.

In terms of multiplayer videogames however I don't think the Dunning-Krueger effect applies if the game is competitive/pvp, because how people compare themselves to others is in the form of statistics (k/d, w/l, spm etc) which can't be influenced by any delusions of higher skill.

I can't really say much for the highly skilled half of it though.

7. Default Re: Let's talk about: The Dunning-Kruger effect

If I understand correctly I believe that when it comes to one of the games I play, the second half of the paste describes me.
    On Sunday I went to a tournament and 2-0'd everyone in an 8 man pool and people were getting hyped and saying how good I was when I was playing only to have me say "it's not hard, (character) is just really basic and not that many people know what to do against it"

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

This crap is what makes me mute players on DoTA. It's amazing how full of themselves people can be when they're merely an average player. I also admit I fall to this if I become too tryhard, but I realize that being too tryhard is not going to help much.

9. Sacred cow Male
    IGN: Equi
    Server: Aquila
    Level: 235
    Job: Luminous
    Guild: Pineapples
    Farm: holycow
    singapore

I think I'm guilty of it in everything most probably the former ._.

10. Default Re: Let's talk about: The Dunning-Kruger effect

I started a new job recently and just thought that I was doing "OK". I did hear from a co-worker that my boss was very pleased with me, but I thought she was just trying to make me feel better. Today I got a new coworker and watching him on his first day really made me realize that I've actually been doing pretty well.

I think as far as MMORPGs go, it really depends on who you play with. In MapleStory, I have people on my BL with ~100k ranges thinking that they're godly and people with >500k ranges thinking they're average or even below average (legit thinking this, not just being modest).