The Unofficial Southperry Super Smash Brothers for 3DS Tournament
Phew. A rather long title. The time has come for all of us who are planning on getting the game to rejoice and play the game by showcasing our skills. Surely an exciting time to be alive. For the unaware, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is releasing in North America and Europe on October 3rd. For Australian people,
the game is coming out on October 4th. Japanese people have already received their copy. So this is a tournament for that game, ya know.
When is the date?
That's actually up to you! Currently I've decided on four dates, all of which you can vote for until sign ups are over. The one with the most votes ends up being the starting date (i.e. plurality, not majority).
But these dates are too close to release!
The good thing about that is that there's currently a demo out for NA/EU/AU that would give you some well deserved practice with the game's controls. If you feel like you need more practice or you need to unlock more characters then don't fret! This tournament is just for fun.
Are there prizes?
The idea is that top 3 will receive a prize. The prize could be monetary, SP Karma, or something else entirely. I haven't exactly decided on the prizes yet since I might need to ask permission to distribute it.
At the moment, the current prizes in my mind are:
1st Place: 20 USD item of your choice. Caveat is that they have to take my dirty money. It can be multiple items totalling to $20 too.
2nd Place: 10 USD item of your choice. Same rules as 1st place prize.
3rd Place: 5 USD item of your choice. Same rules as 1st place prize.
What's the tournament structure
That depends on how many people register. This is, of course, also open to discussion. The current plan is to have a double elimination bracket. The first round will be a 'qualifying' round to get rid of possibly byes. If the number is too messed up for double elimination then we'll switch to either single elimination, swiss-style, or roundrobin.
The brackets will be posted on challonge and I will notify participants when their round is ready.
What are the rules?
Warning: This part is rather lengthy.
The rules are still under construction, but they're open to discussion.
In the following, a round is one game and a match is the grouping of them, i.e. the best of 3 match-up.
- 1 vs. 1
- 3 stocks per round
- 8 minute timer
- Best of 3 for regular matches, best of 5 for grand finals
- Custom moves are allowed. Miis and Palutena allowed too.
- No items
- No custom equips.
- Played online. Local play could also be possible.
- If the match is very laggy, an extra match could be allotted through mutual consensus. The laggy match would not count towards the score.
- Both players are to report their results to this thread or via private message. They must be identical.
- You can pick any character you want. You don't have to stick to a single character the entire time.
- If an opponent is inactive for a match for more than 24 hours since the match started, then the active player receives the win for the entire match. Be sure to contact me first though. This is one of those things I'll be extremely lenient about.
The first round's stage is picked randomly. The subsequent stages are picked by the round's loser. In both cases, the stage should be a legal stage as defined below.
Gentleman's Rule is applied. In other words, if both players agree to playing a banned stage, then they can play it.
Legal Stages (NOT FINAL)
Hopefully based on NA names. A question mark means that the stage is one that I'm not too keen on its legality. Granted, this currently applies to everything.
- All 'Omega' forms of stages
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island
- Arena Ferox
- Prism Tower
- Reset Bomb Forest
The rest of the stages are banned.
Conclusions, Final Words
Now that you know the rules you should probably know some miscellaneous things:
- This thread will be used to sign up. In order to sign up, just post your preferred display name and your 3DS friend code.
- Everyone is encouraged to sign up and join. The whole point is just to have fun.
- The brackets will be posted here.
- By signing up, you're implicitly guaranteeing availability of the game by launch :p
- In the event of your opponent breaking the rules, please contact me. I'll see if I can sort it out.
- Sign-ups close October 3rd.
- Rules aren't final and could possibly be edited mid-tournament if needed.