1. Default Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

heres the thing. Im typing this on a new computer that came today. I made it custom on a website that then made it up for me and sent it to me but it has a bunch of issues that im not happy about paying £800 for. (blue screens on me, audio is lagging and choppy, freezes doing really easy things even though 8gb of ram)
    So im gonna return it and take my money elsewhere. I know about Alienware and its what im considering getting instead, but the general internet opinion seems to be that Alienware is overpriced or something. People say you can make your own for cheaper but after todays fiasco i don't trust myself to make my own so i'd rather buy a companies one like my past computers and laptops.

Is Alienware the best? Are there other brands with gaming options? Help :(

2. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

Fact of the matter is that if you pay someone else to put the laptop together for you, you'll be overpaying. There is no way around this, unless you happen upon some miraculous deal sent from the heavens which makes it somewhat affordable (here's a hint: that won't happen). You either come to terms with the fact that you will be overpaying and it STILL may not be exactly what you want, or you build it yourself.

I don't see why you wouldn't trust yourself to build it on your own "after today's fiasco," considering you had nothing to do with the issues that are present. Building your rig is EASY, believe it or not, and if you shop around, you can get great deals on separate parts (on top of getting EXACTLY what you want/need in a component), which saves an ASSLOAD of money. If I were you, I would make a comprehensive list of what you need your computer to do, and with that list in mind do some window shopping online making sure to scrutinize the specs. Then research how your parts will work together. Trust me, it's work, but it is SO worth it, both money-wise a achievement-wise, because you can take pride in your precious computer. Trust yourself, you can definitely do this.

3. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

No matter how easy it is, i don't want to make my own. Whats the best Alternative :x

4. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

Well that's absolutely fine, I understand. Alienware will be overpriced, that's for damn sure. I actually think you made the right decision in buying from a company that puts it together for you. Lemons happen, so just get your RMA or whatever you can and move on to the next one. What are the parts looking like on the computer you're looking at?

5. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

these are the specs for the one that came today. Theres an alienware one im looking at with the differences being and i5 cpu and a GTX 745 graphics card.

6. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

MSI is about the same quality as Alienware with a lot less markup, I've had really good experiences with their computers in the past.

7. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

Alienware is extremely over priced. They are good, but you could do better for the same price elsewhere.

8. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

I ended up taking the econo route last time I had one built and got it from ibuypower. Their builds definitely run cheaper than say Alienware or Cyberpower, but there is some quality lost. My case sensors were improperly wired and the front audio port wasn't properly shielded so it picked up a lot of static. I fixed these issues pretty quickly, but it sounds like you're looking for the quality finished product.

If you're fine with the price markup, I'd suggest Alienware or Cyberpower for custom gaming rigs. There two of the bigger names on the market and I've heard largely good things about them.

9. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Find a trustworthy friend/relative and have them make it for you.

10. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

The best oem for prebuilts would be like falcon northwest or originpc

11. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

I agree with this, but to add onto it I would focus on AMD builds to save a bit money, especially since the new gen systems use AMD.

12. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

You can get good non-Alienware gaming computers that are premade also. I got mine for $1200 USD plus tax (~1280) and it runs most games fine on high graphics. I've had it for 2 years and I haven't had a single issue with it. I paid 300/mo on it so it was really affordable, too, and I got it from a company called ZT Systems.

13. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE

I'm serious.
    It's overpriced as pineapple for the performance you're getting.

Just. DO NOT. Waste your money. On alienware.

14. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

Just to update everyone, I've just got back from a local computer store i recently found out existed (literally 5 minutes from my house) They are making me a computer with an i5, GTX 770 and 500gb HD + 120gb SSD for £850. Really happy with their service and the guys knew what they were talking about.

15. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

I recommend learning how to build. It will go a long way and save you money.

16. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

it actually depends. you save more money on the short term at time of purchase. long term, many lose out dueto the "upgrade" itch

17. Default Re: Are there better gaming desktops than Alienware?

Dudes, my new computer doesn't overheat when i play MMOs now :D Happy days~