Server: Scania
    Level: 211
    Job: Dual Blade
    Guild: ReverseWing
    Alliance: Aether
    Farm: Silva
    brunei

Default Onyx Ring Discussion

In KMS version 1.2.212, they released an item called Onyx Ring.

According to Max's blog, it's pretty much like an evolving ring and you have to upgrade it over time until it reaches its final growth which is also called Onyx Ring "Growth".

And here's the main point, the information on Max's blog is not that clear so I wanted to clarify, so if you have more information or if you have played KMS, feel free to share with me what you know. Thank you.

According to Max's blog, it seems at max level and growth, the ring would give you:

10 all stats, 100 HP and MP, 5 attack and magic attack, with 20% chance to inflict the status, 10% specific stats and 10 slots.

You can find the status inflicted and specific stats given below by each different elements:
    And apparently, you can do a quest called Onyx Ring training and gain a random scroll on week 3 which gives either 8 STR/DEX/INT/LUK/400 HP/4 all stats.
    On week 4 you can get either a 100% scroll that gives attack or magic attack but those are not as good as 8 main stat scroll anyway so we'll ignore that.

So here is my main concern, can we only use the Onyx Stone given from week 3 and 4 to upgrade the ring? Or can we use other scroll such as Prime Scroll?
    I really hope we can use Prime Scroll on it, or it wouldn't be as appealing, even with 10 slots (12 if it can be hammered).

2. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

You can't use any other scrolls on it except the ones from the event, and you can only get 5 scrolls from week 3 and 5 from week 4, so make sure you don't miss a day lol. *looks sadly at +8 Onyx Ring*

3. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Can it have its own potential outside of the bonus effects you choose it to have?

4. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

No.

5. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Welp, there goes any hype I had for it then.

6. Electron Male
    IGN: SilvaLau
    brunei

Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

So the end result would be 50 Main Stat, 10 secondary stat, and 10 att?

Well... it's not all that bad.... there's hardly any other potential or source that gives minimum or maximum critical damage anyway.... this ring can be potentially better than most other 20%-40% main stat ring? I hope?

The only thing that kills the hype is that we cannot use any scroll on it... but 50 main stat from a ring is still pretty good....

Now the only other question I have is... can we choose what scroll to get? Or is it randomized?

7. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

I know my Marksman could really use minimum critical damage but not sure there's a slot for this ring.

8. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Increasing maxcritdmg has, on average, the same effect as increasing mincritdmg, unless you keep capping.

Hadriel

9. Electron Male
    brunei

How much damage is increased in average assuming your critical rate is 100% if you increased maximum or minimum critical damage by 10%?
    Do you think it's worth switching out for a ring with around 20-40% main stat?

10. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

You can choose!

11. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

The average crit damage is raised by 5% of your current average (unless mincritdmg > maxcritdmg, which is rare), so for a conventional DSE+skills increase of about 55% average crit damage, another 5% to the average is but 1.6/1.55 = 3.22% increase in DPS. Here's a table to guesstimate your range.

What 5% avgcritdmg provides assuming 100% crit rate

The avgcritdmg of 100% is achievable by a couple of classes, most notably AB and MM. I will also leave 3 other tables to compare 7.5%, 10% and 15% average crit damage increases too. The 15% is for people who intend to cube for 2 lines of Tier 4 Legendary critdmg potentials on their gloves.

What 7.5% avgcritdmg provides assuming 100% crit rate

What 10% avgcritdmg provides assuming 100% crit rate

What 15% avgcritdmg provides assuming 100% crit rate

Red italicised numbers indicate illogical readings. By the way you're not supposed to equip the 2 equipment you're wearing yet when comparing!

Basically, 10%min or maxcritdmg is worthless unless you are funded to the extreme, or you did not optimise your potentials properly.

I hope this table will answer all future questions on the value of min/maxcritdmg over %STAT or %Boss.

Hadriel
    Last edited by hadriel; 2014-08-26 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Corrected for all extra 100% in the "v.s. X%STAT" columns after a sanity check.

12. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Well, at least it is an option to kill 300 monsters. I'd rather just kill Easy Zakum and get it over with

13. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

You can only do each option once per week (hence 5 scrolls per week)

14. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

I really hope GMS gets this. Some of the options are quite interesting xD

They won't add up to a normal well potted ring but for less funded players like myself it is a great alternative to things like evo rings or the Absolute ring.

15. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

So you're saying that you'll eventually have to kill 300 monsters. Along with everything else. Each week

Welcome to MapleChorey

16. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Oh no, SO hard.

Oh wait, players these days want things handed them for little to no effort and call it a chore otherwise.

17. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

It is a chore. It requires no skill at the game. There is nothing difficult about it. All it requires is time doing a repetitive task, which is exactly what a chore is.

18. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

have you heard about Kiritas pocket? >_> that's not exactly a chore... that's ing The Labors of Hercules

19. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Not the point I was trying to make.

Here something I said in the past to more or less surmise what I think on this matter. tl;dr, I can and have done this sort of things many times before. It's not hard, so much as it is boring. When you have to do repetitive, humdrum tasks everyday of your life for an ultimately small boost that won't matter in the long run. It just isn't a fun thing to do, and what is that you ultimately play a game for?

That and how many things do I have to kill 300 monsters for

20. Electron Male
    brunei

That's awesome, thanks for the info :D

Um... I'm sorry, I'm having difficulty trying to understand your chart and description :o
    Mind explaining again in a more simpler term and how to read your chart? :o

Only 2 week though :p