Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

I would be very interested in this for a bowmaster... if I hadn't already sold my bow
    I picked up a pair of tyrant bowman gloves for cheap, and since I had 100% crit as a BM, I'd absolutely cube those for min crit%

2. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Hello sorry for being stupid but I don't understand how you got the values in the "vs x% stat" columns. Do you mind explaining how you got these values?

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

We have always been cubing for %STAT because most types of equipment can't get any other useful potential lines.

4. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

For a given DPS increase (simply called "Z", and expressed in decimals), and an independently varied %STAT (called "X", in decimals), you want to find out how much inherent %STAT (called "Y", in decimals) would cause an additional X to give a DPS increase of Z. The equation to be set up is:

((Y+1) + X)/(Y+1) = 1 + Z

Which simplifies into

X/(Y+1) = Z

You control X, and you have Z, so you want to find out Y, which simply becomes

Y = X/Z - 1

or in percentage form, it will be Y% = (X%/Z% - 1)*100%

And a sanity check and dimensional analysis confirms the case.

Indeed there are very few potential lines on armour that are potentially useful (pun not intended). People know about %cr, %ATT, %DMG, %Boss and %PDRIgnore of course, but that's for weapons. Cubing for dSI, dSE and dAB is extremely costly while maintaining the rest of the lines, and the common trend is to have them on separate equipment for rebuffing purposes. +3 allskills is worthless if it doesn't break skill cap, and utility skills like +x seconds invulnerability or %statusresist is less valued than %STAT. Probably only %drop is valued, and they are still on separate equipment.

Hence I did this math to highlight to people the need to diversify their lines and lessen the diminishing returns effect from building up %STAT only. Because of the retarded way %Boss, %DMG and Hyperskills are coded and the extreme large values that %Boss provide relative to other lines, %Boss is still the most important line for weapons, followed by %PDRIgnore and %ATT. These parts of the potential system still frustrate me as of today.

Hadriel

5. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

I would've tested this if I could, but I quit playing MS a couple of weeks ago. I had been planning on cubing a pair of Tyrant gloves for %crit damage when they were released, but they came out just as I stopped playing xD thanks for the numbers though, really interesting to read!

6. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

you did the right thing, friend

7. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

(Just going to ask here since it pertains to the current event)

With this being my current rings and stats without buffs, would this event even be worth doing on my main? And if so, which stat would benefit the most?

Critical Damage is 53% ~ 69% with dSE, 53% ~ 94% with dSE and max Ice Counters.
    Critical Rate is 100% on Chain Lightning, 97% on Frozen Orb, again, with dSE.

Spoiler
    Last edited by OrionTempest; 2014-09-24 at 09:29 PM.

8. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

I am leaning towards getting the Thunder upgrade since I'll be getting it on a Hero (the stun might help?) and I barely have 30% critical chance right now, but boss damage seems like the best option.

Any thoughts¿

9. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

In my opinion, boss damage is where it's at since Hadriel pretty much proved minimum and maximum critical damage don't do pomegranate...

10. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

do not npc spam through the story, there is no ring-accept conformation.
    so now im stuck with flame ring; max crit isnt horrid, but min crit is better

11. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

@OrionTempest;

I worked through comparing rings last night. This is what I came up with.

Here is a function that computes the damage increase given new/old crit damage and new/old crit rate.

Code:
    f(c, cn, r, rn) = ((rn * cn + (1 - rn)) - (r * c + (1 - r))) / (r * c + (1 - r))
    where c = average crit damage, cn = new average crit damage, r = crit rate, r = new crit rate

This is an abstract formula since it doesn't deal with your range directly. You need to unequip each of your rings one by one and multiply the calculated damage increase by your lowered range, then you can figure the difference between your current range and range if you had a specific sylph ring.

In your case:

f(1.61, 1.66, 1.0, 1.0) = 3.1% average increase in damage for CL + dSE + 10% min/max crit ring
    f(1.735, 1.785, 1.0, 1.0) = 2.9% average increase in damage for CL + dSE + Ice Counters + 10% min/max crit ring

f(1.61, 1.61, 0.97, 1.0) = 1.1% increase for FO with dSE + 10% crit ring
    f(1.61, 1.66, 0.97, 0.97) = 3.0% increase for FO with dSE + 10% min/max crit ring
    f(1.735, 1.785, 0.97, 0.97) = 2.8% increase for FO with dSE + Ice Counters + 10% min/max crit ring

BUT! 10% boss damage is clearly the winner if you boss a lot, right? Actually there are diminishing returns. That is, if you have 10% BD and you add another 10% BD, your damage is not actually increasing by 10%. It's actually increasing by roughly 9%.

Adding a 10% ring to these existing BD amounts:
    Spoiler

Important: You can essentially add 20% BD for skills that have reinforce hyper skills since reinforce stacks additively with BD. Therefore, the benefits you actually get from a BD ring can be less.

How does this stack up to crit rate/crit damage overall? Skip to the last bit of this post to see general numbers.

10% def ignore is a bit tougher to calculate since it varies by boss and current def ignore sources:
    I don't think this is accurate, I will revisit it at a later time.
    Code:
    g(pdr, ni, ei) = 
      let a = 1 - pdr * (1 - ni) * (1 - ei)
          b = 1 - pdr * (1 - ei)

a - b iff a >= 0
          0 iff a < 0
    where pdr = the monster's pdr stat, ni = new ignore source, ei = existing ignore sources already multiplied together

Spoiler

General conclusions: min/max crit rings can add 5% average damage AT BEST. Other rings potentially add more than that depending on your existing stats.

1. A min/max crit ring will have varying amounts of effectiveness depending on how much crit damage you already have:
    Spoiler

2. Crit rate rings add varying amounts of damage depending on your current crit rate and average crit damage:
    Spoiler

3. Once you reach 150%+ BD you should start looking at crit rate and crit damage rings

4. Def ignore adds a varying amount and is hardly reliable as a source of damage output. I believe it is more effective to use almost any of the other rings since they add stats that are harder to get than def ignore.

5. The status resist ring is highly undervalued!
    Last edited by Kuraitou; 2014-10-10 at 09:41 PM.

12. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Just to clarify, you get 5 scrolls of +8 stat on week 2 and 5 of +1 atk/matk on week 3 right? So you'll end up with a 50+stat/5+atk ring by the end of the event if you hit all 10?

Probably going to go with the status resist ring on my main since it's the only one of any real functional use to her. She has more than enough %boss/%ignore/%critrate from other sources, given the wizardry in this thread I can't justify replacing a 15%INT ring with min/max crit and that 0% innate resistance starts hurting when Foxfire runs dry, which it does more often than I'd like.

13. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

OUCH. It seems I picked the wrong ring and should've gone with crit damage. Oh well, not sure if I'll even use it anyway.

14. Orbital Bee Cannon

Oh crap.
    This ring has a visible effect. The "summon", I guess.
    There goes any desire I had to use it.

Do Koreans really like screen clutter that much?

15. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Since the ring can't have actual potential, wouldn't using a potentialable ring with a set effect be better than this by a lot anyway?

16. Orbital Bee Cannon

Some of us don't have four rings with good potential, with or without a set effect.

17. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Looks like I did all those calculations (and horrible typing into tables) for naught, and my conclusions are cherry-picked out of context.

Hadriel

18. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

Yours are more useful. By a lot.

19. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

It's a barely visible floating light. At least it's not LGR or WAB tiers of clutter.

20. Default Re: Onyx Ring Discussion

I just started this event today because I was busy with school and didn't know about it. Is there any point in continuing? Also, does it count the weeks from when you start or as the event goes on? I really wanted the skin from the 4th week but if I can't get it then I feel like there's no point.