1. Default [Semi-MLG] Boss% vs att%

After a lot of black cubing, I constantly ran into tough decisions on which potential to choose. I used to ask around for advice, but as the decisions became tougher, the suggestions became more scattered and there would be no consensus. Consequently, I decided to learn the damage formulas in order arrive at my own verdict.

After some calculations, I soon discovered that conventional "rules of thumb" are actually misleading.
    I realized that people throw around "250% boss" and "optimal" and "diminishing gains" without actually taking the effort to figure it out themselves.
    People talk about how diminishing boss% is, without actually crunching the numbers.

Suddenly the diminishing gain isn't so diminishing
    0:00 - 1:07 Is the montage parody portion (muh demographic) so you can skip to 2:00 if you want to go straight into the analysis.
    I have a cold right now so I sound super congested.

tl;dr 75% boss is 37% att for me even though my boss is already too high
    "250%"ers minds are blown

2. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: [Semi-MLG] Boss% vs att%

Never heard of this "250%' thing before anyway

3. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Cant watch the vid now but be sure i willnonce i return home. Just need to point out that when people say 250 boss without referring to any class in specific. They mean total damage (or at least the ones that know their stuff do)

4. Default Re: [Semi-MLG] Boss% vs att%

Anyone who cites a specific number without referring to a specific class most certainly does not know their stuff. It's mostly ignorant players on basil repeating this garbage instead of doing the math. Makes me sad since I'm a math major.

Anyways, if this helps people learn basic algebra and optimization then I support it :)
    Lord knows how terrible some people are at math (especially in maple)

Someone should make videos like this for stat ratio approximations and PDR so people will stop asking the same questions over and over.

edit: Kind of tired of seeing people use the term diminishing returns incorrectly as well. %Attack and %Boss give constant returns when held in isolation and increasing returns when both are increased.

5. Default Re: [Semi-MLG] Boss% vs att%

It has been quoted atleast 3 times in every thread about boss vs att and atleast twice in every "which weapon potential is better" thread. A lot of people have that number so deeply ingrained into their minds that they're intolerant of anything else. I guess it's mostly a basil thing

6. Donator Straight Male
    panama

you don't need to know a specific class to give number comparisons between pdr, total/boss, and attack when pitted one against the other. once you have the numbers all you have to do is substract the amounts of the class and call it a day.

in fact it could be made 3 charts of pdr/boss, boss/attk, and attk/pdr and be done with. (well, not three, since pdr is dependent on the boss)

7. Default Re: [Semi-MLG] Boss% vs att%

Subtracting class stats implies that you do know the specific class does it not?

I was referring specifically to the people who say pomegranate like "You have less than 250% boss. Get it to 250% then worry about %attack," without taking class and %total into consideration. It's everywhere on basil.

8. Donator Straight Male
    panama

ok, i watched the video and can give you a good example. did you see freewii4mii's chart at the end? that chart works off the stats that you would have at a specific point. it doesn't require the knowledge of any class. it can be given to anyone and it will work.

this anyone is the one that will then imput his current stats, including those from his class, to get the numbers he wants to know. so no, i do not have to know the specific class, the person using the chart or the info i give has to. for example (THIS EXAMPLE IS RANDOM NUMBERS, NOT ACTUAL DATA) if i said that at 250% boss, 12% attack is better than 40% boss. a person would have to check the %boss his weapon gives, and his class, to see if he's beyond that number.

he however would have to check if he has any %attack, why? because if he's at 50% attack, it no longer is in line with what i said, since he's beyond the 0% attack implied.

that last part is probably what the people in basil don't understand, that it's not "get to 250 and then pump attack", but actually "at 250 boss X amount of attack is better, at which point you're balanced.

9. Default Re: [Semi-MLG] Boss% vs att%

this might be your problem.