1. Default Game won't start after the last minor patch

Or more specifically, something goes wrong after downloading and installing that patch, leaving the game unable to start. Even if I do it from a clean install.

If I try to open Gamelauncher again afterwards, this happens.

Not really sure what's going wrong. Never had a problem like this before.

2. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

I used to have that problem when my anti-virus was active during the patch process. I found that if I disabled my anti-virus before I started the patch then it would complete normally. May or may not help you, but worth a try.

3. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

I do not have anything like that on my computer. The last patch (v151) worked fine, and v152 worked fine as well. Problems only started with the Maple Leaf High fix.

4. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

Running a PC connected to the internet without any anti-virus software? That's just foolish, son.

5. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

AV software hinders more to power users than helps.

6. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

Maybe. I haven't had any problems with malware/viruses/whatnot in years and anti-virus software often tends to be more annoying than helpful.

7. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

pomegranate gets weirder. From my patcher.log:

----------------------------------------
    [Patcher Process Start]
    C:\Nexon\MapleStory\Patcher.exe
    08-18 00:14
    Successfully loaded the patch information. (00152 -> 00152)
    [URL] Patch : http://download2.nexon.net/Game/MapleStory/patch/patchdir/00152/
    Downloading the version information file.
    Downloading the version information file complete.Checking the version of the patch.
    [Check Patcher] FileName : C:\Nexon\MapleStory\Patcher.exe ステタロ
    [Check Patcher] Patcher Size : 1662464
    [Check Patcher] Correct:0x78723c13 File:0x78723c13
    [Check Patcher] FileName : C:\Nexon\MapleStory\Patcher.exe Success
    Checking the version of the patch complete.
    Receiving the update patch files.
    Downloading the patch files complete.
    Failed to move files!! C:\Nexon\MapleStory\Patcher.dat -> C:\Nexon\MapleStory\MapleStory.exe Retry
    Failed to move files!! C:\Nexon\MapleStory\Patcher.dat -> C:\Nexon\MapleStory\MapleStory.exe Retry

Retry attempts over the limit
    We are unable to copy the new patcher. Please try again. If the same error occurs, please delete all previous MapleStory game files and re-install the game client from maplestory.nexon.net.

(Error Code : 5) Access is denied.

Immediately after the patcher dies, this happens.

About a minute after that, Maplestory.exe disappears.

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

Disappears?

Sounds like something an anti-virus might do.

9. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

I don't think so. I disabled Windows Firewall and Windows Defender last time I reformatted, and I've never installed AV software on my computer.

I'm wondering if it's some issue with my PC's admin account or something going wrong with UAC. After patching I am also barred from deleting the Nexon/Maplestory folders until Maplestory.exe erases itself. Says I need permission from an administrator...

10. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

Seeing that error message in the first and last posts, I'm inclined to think that your administrative rights have been compromised, at least within Nexon/MapleStory, either directories.

I don't think minor patches come with their own manual patcher - otherwise, I'd suggest try running that as an admin.

I believe that's Windows 7, so I can't exactly help - haven't used 7 in a long time. Nonetheless, if I were having problems with my account not supplying admin rights, I'd try to modify permissions on the parent directory:

1. Right-click the directory, select Properties, and go to the Security tab.
    2. Click Edit and make sure your account (and the admin account) both have all permissions to the directory. (Although, I think your own account doesn't need all permissions so long as it inherits permissions from the admin account.)
    3. If settings appear as they are, you may need to click the Advanced button in the Security tab to do advanced security editing. Make sure your account and the admin account are allowed access and that access is either full control or at least read and execute. If somehow your account is missing, add it - your principal will be your user name, not your account name. I think these may be the same in Windows 7, but in 8+, they're separate. If you click "Check Names" and no error pops up, your user name should now be prefixed with the computer's name (the domain) as such: Computer\UserName. Then you may add the permissions as you see fit. Also, you may want to change what the permissions apply to - "Applies to: This folder, subfolders and files".

Hopefully that fixes it...otherwise, there's the event log viewer if that doesn't help. More info may be found on what is causing the write to fail.

11. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

I did poke around at the permissions, and disabled Read-Only. I am using the built in elevated administrator account, I think. I remember enabling that at some point in the past, but I am not sure if I did that before or after the last time I reformatted.

Someone also mentioned the possibility that my user account is corrupted(I didn't even know that was a thing that could happen), but I created and used another account and ended up with the same result.

I am completely stumped.

12. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

Since the last patch is just an EXE-only patch, perhaps someone can just post the latest EXE for you to download. It should be all you need to play.

13. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

If that is all that was changed in the patch, then that would probably definitely work. This is the first time this has ever happened in all the times I've patched Maplestory, so hopefully it won't come up again for v153 or whatever else happens in the future.

14. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...MapleStory.exe

I'll delete it in a couple of days, so grab it soon.

15. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

The game opens properly now. Thank you. Hopefully I will not have to deal with this patcher nonsense again. -_-

16. Default Re: Game won't start after the last minor patch

Yay.

File deleted