1. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Default The games that ruined their series.

This is a topic that's sparked some interesting responses in another forum, so I'm curious as to what your responses are.

I'd rather not type out my long (and quite frankly a bit too passionate) response, so I'll just quote myself on mine. Warning: Angry fangirl rant ahead;

No need to give a long, drawn-out response like mine. :U But I'd love to hear what games people should stay away from if they want to retain their appreciation for a series (not that it would make them love the other games any less).

*watches Other M replies flood in*

2. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Othe-

oh.

Golden sun: dark dawn didn't do the series any favours. Nearly every single battle can be won just by spamming the attack command, it's almost not worth the time to pick other options from the menu, the game is so easy.
    You're not wrong on sticker star by the way, it's pretty mediocre.

3. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Final Fantasy XII

I might get some pomegranate for saying that, but goodness gracious remember that this is my own, personal opinion. Every character is this game is two dimensional. Shallow to no backstories, personalities, or even development. Story is lacking in purpose and direction. The gameplay itself just feels like a prototype mmo engine; battles are so different that they don't even feel like I'm playing a Final Fantasy game anymore. Dungeons are boring and uninspired.

And every game thereafter are just... unappealing to me.

4. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Would the Mass Effect series count even though a 4th is coming? I don't hate it even if 3 made a bombshell, IMO.

5. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

If you feel it's that bad, certainly. My disdain for what they did to Sticker Star doesn't water down my love for the Paper Mario series in the least. Same can be said for Metroid and other such games.

6. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Would Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season 2, Episode 4 count? eurgh.

7. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Skylanders killing off any hope of Spyro continuing. :C

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. RIP

8. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

OH LORD THAT STABBED ME STRAIGHT IN THE HEART...

rip

9. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

I have actually told people straight out that Sticker Star is a complete piece of pomegranate and whatever development team worked on it should be outright ashamed of themselves.
    There is nothing wrong in your post either.

Whatever the full title of the newest Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game for the 3DS is.
    A friend of mine and I got in a discussion about 3DS games recently after I purchased mine (this conversation happened a while ago now). He asked me about Sticker Star because that was the game that I bought the 3DS for (you can't even begin to imagine how unbelievably disappointed I was going into that game blind) and I told him that it wasn't worth buying. I then asked him about the latest installment in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series having been a long time fan of the games and he said to me almost exactly what I had said to him previously about Sticker Star.

10. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Favorite video dealing with this subject matter:

11. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

I know @Locked; has given up all hope for the Paper Mario series LOL.

12. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Sticker Star is the worst 3DS game I've ever played.

13. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i always found psynergies very underwhelming in all of the games really, especially once you get the djinns&summon and the attack unleashes, but dark dawn while not crippling, was pretty bad and short in comparison. the fact we'll have to wait at least 7+ years for part 4 is the worst

i played bowser-s inside story... didn-t feel like mario&luigi at all, i also agree with sticker star

14. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Mega Man X6 and X7. Gods, why? X6 wasn't even supposed to exist.

15. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Suikoden IV. Suikoden I and II are absolutely amazing games. III is a great game as well, although not as good as II, it still played overall well and continued the greatness. But IV...IV goes back in time and erases all the good characters and plot lines for no reason. All the good mechanics, gone. They really fu'cked it up. They did a decent cleanup job with V but it was too late... They really should have just kept going forward, but the lead developer/designer left mid-Suikoden III and they kinda just gave up after, which is a damn shame. Suikoden was an amazing franchise.

Meh, X6 wasn't that bad. I'm not going to say it's the best X game or anything like that, but I think it gets a lot of hate for bad reasons. All of the games have their fair share of bad level design and other similar issues. X7 was awful though, and X8 COULD have been an acceptable game if half the levels weren't on rails. HALF THE LEVELS. And they weren't on good rails either, it was almost always terrible vehicle stages for the entire thing. That game never had a chance. X7's 3D switch was so awful it's beyond words.

16. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Everything about X6 felt rushed and clumsily put together which made the game as a whole both tedious and frustrating. The Nightmare system (all aspects of it) was atrocious. Like stages being darkened. Or the metal bugs. pineapple the bugs. Who thought that was a good idea?

I guess X6 had okay bosses. Sort of. Blaze Heatnix, Infinity Mjinion and Final Sigma were all pomegranate though. Apart from the ridiculous vehicle sections from other games, nothing can really come close to how bad X6's level design is. Like fighting the exact same miniboss 3 or 4 times in Heatnix's stage. The gimmick in Scaravich's stage. Blind jumps over spikes in Yammark's. Acid rain sections in Turtloid's. Gate 1. And the entirety of Metal Shark Player's stage. I can understand having the whole crusher thing in short sections. That's fine. But the entire damn stage? No. Sheldon's stage was pretty cool, though. With reflecting the lasers and all.

Lots of glitches, too. Especially in regards to death via being crushed. Like letting go of crouch in Metal Shark Player's stage when you are in a one tile high gap and immediately dying. Or sometimes immediately dying when you jump on the side of the topmost platform in the Gate fight.

X8 was a terrible game too but the X series was dead to me by the time I got around to playing it. They really started to run out of boss names after X7. Like Burn Rooster. Or Optic Sunflower. Seriously?

EDIT: Battle Network 4 and 5 almost killed that series for me too, but 6 redeemed it.

17. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Every game after Generals Zero hour killed the command and conquer series for me. All of them were terrible, I have never seen such a successful franchise commit such suicide before. When they attempted to release the generals sequel, it came out so terribly as a free to play platform with bought extra's, that it was clear EA just absolutely sh`it all over this franchise, I mean, like really thick milkshake sh`it, messy, will never come out, and was such an abomination it didn't even fly out of beta. It was by far the greatest stab to my childhood I have ever had to endure, I would even say it was worse than watching DBZ evolution, and that frekin hurt so much I wrote the director a letter saying he should just quit his f`ucking job, where even the original voice actors of the DBZ franchise were criticizing it as a waste of a movie ticket.

18. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Sonic 06

19. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Everything after CoD 4 : Modern Warfare was getting worse and worse. But they really dropped the ball at MW3. World at War Campaign was somewhat decent, Black Ops was fun due game modes but after that everything really went down. CoD is supposed to be a fast-paced brawl, it was about skill, knowing your location, optimal nade throws and stuff. Now these days it is all killstreaks, loadouts and that kinda stuff. I mislike it heavily, Advanced Warfare MIGHT have a SMALL chance because of the exoskeleton boosts which reminds me a bit of UT2K4 gameplay (which I liked).

20. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

The new mystery dungeon game is probably one of the worst games I have ever played, ever. Sticker star was TERRIBLE but nothing can ever compare to how much of a terrible letdown Gates to Infinity was.

Bowser's Inside Story certainly didn't kill the franchise. It wasn't nearly as good as the previous installments, but it still somewhat stayed true to some of the core aspects.

I wouldn't count Sonic 06 as a franchise killer because although it hurt the franchise, it's still doing well. Sonic 4, on the other hand....

The Wii Wario games destroyed the Wario/Wario Ware franchise. Those were atrocious.
    Dawn of Mana destroyed Secret of Mana. RIP.
    KQ:MoE drove the king's quest saga into the ground.