Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

I wouldn't say it ruined the game, but it definitely creates an exploit of sorts, in which practically everybody guaranteed to have something to the effect of galeforce, counter, or sol. However, it did make for VERY interesting skirmishes with other players. Not to mention the child system which gave you basically a fusion of your best units skills and growths. My real complaint would be how they did away with the unique fighting animation each class and their advancements had. The swordmaster used to be my favorite to watch fight just because he always did something badass with his lightning fast actions, but now its just a basic sword strike. Chrom's advancement was pretty lackluster as well and his attack animations didn't change when he used Falchion or a lance. Alas, they did make the equipped weapons show up in the battle sequence, I personally would've liked to see those truly unique critical animations that actually truly engage me. That's why FF7 has a special place for me since all the lords had unique battle styles and weapons that gave them alternate ones... SOL KATTI ARMADS

But that's just me....

2. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Children were pretty broken, especially after people analyzed the pairings to find the best max stats and galeforces on everyone, you could literally have a full galeforce army, which broke the story mode pretty much. As long as you didn't sWhen you can just stand there and let your enemies throw themselves against you and die, or solo armies, its pretty bad. There also the fact that the AI prioritized weapon triangle over if they could actually hit you or do damage to you, and that they would never retreat.

3. Water
    IGN: DrkLilith
    Server: GAZED
    Level: 210
    Job: DarkCryokinesis
    Guild: TheAura
    Alliance: Aura
    Farm: FIareon (dead)

Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

I wouldn't say Awakening killed it for me but rather that it didn't have as much replay value compared to Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance. The first time seeing the mechanics with the children felt different compared to the other games but in a good way. Although, when I started playing on hard, all I was focusing on was getting gale force or counter on my units that normally couldn't get it and it didn't seem as fun compared to the first time I played it. Kinda felt like Pokemon and egg moves. It didn't seem that bad but then again, this is coming from a person who started playing Fire Emblem with what some people called it one of the worst in the series (Sacred Stones) and the fact that I never tried Lunatic due to the fact that it was all rng based (I mean, units had frigging Luna+ in the first mission. I turned off the 3ds when I first saw that. )

4. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

no, sonic adventure 2

Spoiler

final hallway at least had the very entertaining archlytte steppe, if it hadn't been for that i wouldn't have enjoyed the game at all. 13-2 was ok, pokemon system for bloating though. haven't played LR.
    this game seems more aimed at casuals that have never played a fire emblem game in their life. i found it more difficult than FE8 at least.
    i wanted the animations so bad too, the epic general three-step and chained lances, swordmasters cloning.
    lethality looks like poop.

i think they didn't add it because they were fearing for space though, like feet.

5. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

>Sonic adventure 2

> Too good

Yeah, no-one could ever accuse sonic fans of setting a high bar when it comes to standards.

6. Donator Straight Male
    panama

not sure if sarcasm or not.

7. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

No sarcasm. Both Sonic adventures are turds. As are most of the sonic 3d games. They had something good with colours/generations, but they were quick enough to throw those away, and we went back to pomegranate with Lost world/sonic boom.
    You just have to compare how badly they've aged with any other brand named platformer from that day to see my point. It was only ever considered good when it was a sega exclusive and we all kidded ourselves (because we only had a dreamcast) that it was playable.

It's hilarious to think mario 64 came out years before it and anyone at all wanted to play Sonic adventure. I clearly had terrible taste in games as a child, fortunately, the cure is to play nearly any of the other major brand name platformer.

Hell, they weren't even the best dreamcast platformers, Rayman 2 was a much better game, even if that hasn't aged particularly well either.

8. Donator Straight Male
    panama

do note i never had the dreamcast version, i had the GC version, and that's still my opinion. i still play SA2:B from time to time, be it for the final fight, to play a speedy game, or if only to get to the chao garden. for me personally, SA2B was one of the best games of the console.

i haven't played the colors/gen ones, but i've had the "pleasure" to beat the team one, werewolf one, and the story ones (round table, thousand and one nights) all of them really lackluster to say the least.

sure though, in 64 SM64 is/was my fav game along with smash, but for GC SA2B is at the top with very few others around

9. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

SA2B was a pretty decent game. I liked it enough to get all the emblems, anyways. A lot of the levels were fun to play (particularly Sonic/Shadow levels).

I didn't really consider Sonic dead until Sonic '06.

10. Donator Straight Male
    panama

to this day still haven't done this. some levels are bullpomegranate.

11. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

A lot of levels have weird cheese strats you can do to get enough points. The only one that gave me any trouble in particular was Radical Highway because pineapple that. Getting an A on the 4th mission on that stage is ass. Mad Space was kind of a pain too.

On another note, when did Sonic Heroes came out? I remember that game being extremely tedious. I can't remember if it came before or after SA2B though...

12. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

"Don't hit the walls!"

I wish I hadn't just reminded myself of that. And you had to do that in both racing levels. Like the above post, I considered Mad Space to be one of, if not the worst level to get all emblems in, but a few others (space levels in general) give it a run for its money.

13. Donator Straight Male
    panama

i love radical highway so much, i could probably still A it after not playing in months. including the 3-minute mission that you mention.

>don't hit the walls OR the cars!
    those were annoying. eggman and tails ones are horrible for me though, the rushing ones specially. and well knuckles and rouge are just knowing where the emerald is from the first clue.

>pineappleing
    >Cannon-s
    >Core

14. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

MY DARK CHAO SAYS F-UCK YOU SCRUB

I also played the gamecube version and to this day I think it was by far the best sonic game I ever played

15. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Have you played any of the good soni games? I know there aren't many of them, but "best" doesn't mean much if you're only comparing piles of poop.

Also that a barebones pet sim is one of the best parts of the game should tell you just how poor a platformer it was.

16. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

I rather enjoyed SA2B. Can't say the same for SA1 though.

17. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

Every single sonic game has been a giant pile of trash...but I've still loved them all (except for Unleashed's night stages. We don't discuss that.)

SA2: Chaos were great, the pseudo-exploration was interesting, the stages were usually pretty iconic/unique, and the story wasn't actually all that bad?
    SA1: Pretty much the same, but the overworld was rather random and there wasn't much direction. Plus, gamma.
    06 would've been good if it wasn't bad...

18. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

I too enjoyed SA2B, except for the Tails/Eggman stages. Definitely a step back from Gamma's stages in SA1. Enjoyed raising chaos. I didn't care at first for the direction they went with the stages in general (SA1 tried to stick true to Sonic levels), but I grew to like them.

Sonic Heroes - meh. It wasn't terrible, but not great either.
    Sonic 06 - aaaha
    Sonic Colours - I enjoyed it.
    Sonic Generations - Really enjoyed it.
    Sonic 4 - Okay. Uh. Why has it been nearly impossible for Sonic Team to get the rolling physics right? How is it that fangamers can make proper rolling physics, but a team of professionals can't? It really does bother me. Sonic is not supposed to be able to walk up 45 slopes like this. Rolling down slopes is not supposed to slow you down. My god. It was like that in Generations, but more bearable. I'm not a programmer, but I'd like to believe that if they could accomplish this goal in the 90's...they should be able to do it 15+ years later.

Anyway, /end rant. Out of these, I would definitely say Sonic 06 ruined the series that was already going downhill.

----

Agreed on Dawn of Mana. It's a shame Secret of Mana 2 never saw a release outside of Japan.

19. Default Re: The games that ruined their series.

I actually liked BN5, but the fact I can play it on my 3DS is helpful in that. Some parts of the game are so FRUSTRATING though, Team Colonel's navis were more useful than Team Protoman's. I liked BN3 too, hated 4 though. Haven't played the others.