IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

As if Sailor Moon Crystal and the sequel to Digimon Adventure weren't enough childhood feels, It's been announced that starting tomorrow, all 70 episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura will be available in HD on Crunchyroll with either English subs or dubbed.

I am particuarly excited about this news (which I only just found out about) because i've recently been rewatching the series in terrible quality, and I am currently on around episode 25.

I never thought i'd get to see it in HD, i'm so excited!

2. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

I've heard so much talk of Cardcaptor Sakura, but I still haven't gone out of my way to watch it yet. This seems like the perfect chance for me to finally watch this show. =]

3. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

Just keep in mind that it's an upscale, not true HD. So some parts might look a little weird.

4. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

Wonder where this came from. The CEO said in the reddit AMA that they are focusing more on new and airing shows than old ones, but I guess they worked out a good deal. Guess I'll add it to my "shows I should probably watch but never have the time to" list.

Also, US and Canada only.

@Justin; Nearly all of CR's 1080 HD are 720 upscales.

5. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

Oh yeah, forgot to mention about it being US and Canada, Mazz showed me the Hola Better Internet browser extension which lets you view the american version of the site. That is what i'll be using.

Considering the quality at which this show is available online, anything even closely resembling this quality is amazing:

6. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

Upscaling it makes it worse more times than it actually makes it better. I generally just download all of my animu in its native format and it looks just as good.

7. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

It's a pretty old anime though, the chance of finding good quality downloads are pretty low.

Also I don't think it's an upscale from it's original quality, it's probably like the HD remaster that came out like.. a week ago.

8. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

A significant % of anime is just ripped from crunchyroll/other streaming sites nowadays anyway.

And you could jsut watch it at 720p on whatever streaming site if it mattered that much that you got it at native res.

9. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

What. There's perfectly fine BluRays for this.

10. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

This, CCS got BDs a while back and they look amazing.

11. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I don't know if there are any solid bluray streaming sites, so at the very least we won't have to download multiple hard drives worth of space in CCS bluray files to be able to rewatch in high quality.

12. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

I don't believe so. How small is your HD? Not sure on the actual size, but if each episode is 20-25 minutes, that should be around 5-8GB? So anywhere from 350-560 GB? That would fit on my HD. 1TB seems to be standard size now, although older laptops would have problems. You could always do it in batches.

Of course, I actually have no idea the file sizes of the blu ray episodes and all.

13. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

It was an exaggeration thanks.

It would actually fill my hard drives, though...if i felt like dedicating a hard drive to cardcaptor sakura...

14. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

350-560 GB would relatively easily let you have a LOT(Depending on your definition of a lot, obviously) of series stored.
    For comparison, Bakemonogatari in 1080p was 4.5 GB for all 15 episodes.

15. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

The only reason 1080p eps get so freaking huge is because they decide to put the audio in FLAC while they're at it. Which is kind of overkill. 1080p eps with mp3 format audio should only be around 300-500MB an episode. They're not THAT big.

16. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

CCS on Crunchyroll soon, huh? I guess it's exciting for people who haven't seen it yet or those that have no way of getting the Bluray version of the series. Or for watching the series on mobile.

But... superior sound quality is sexy. :(

Also, for the curious, episodes 1 to 70 in 1080p are around 110 GB. First movie is 12.5 GB, and second movie is 11 GB.

17. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

Whoops, I messed up, I divided by 3 instead of 6 (1h vs 2h). I should have gotten ~200, which still is way over. (Madoka Rebellion was ~17 for 2h, divided by 6 so 20min episodes and multiplied by 70). All of Nisemonogatari seems to be 10.6GB. I guess it depends what you use it for, my friend managed to fill a terabyte external drive with some H stuff.

I really hope CR keeps getting these old shows I never got a chance to see. Ends up being cheaper than buying all them blurays.

18. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

Even the bloated super CoalGirls release of the 1080p is only 133GB.

Also, I didn't know people still streamed shows, that's giving up a ton of quality for, in most cases, 1-2 hours earlier release time.

19. Default Re: Cardcaptor Sakura in HD on Crunchyroll

It's smaller because CCS is 1440x1080. Still amazing how they managed to bloat it up. 1080p raws are smaller than their 720p encode.