1. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Default Is lag still a major issue with the game?

So, I haven't played the game in a year+. This is, believe it or not, not entirely because I've lost interest; I literally cannot run the game on my laptop and have been unable to for a very long time now. Yet I can play other MMOs just fine (for the most part).

I am, however, in the process of upgrading to a proper desktop within the next few weeks. I may or may not begin playing again then.

So that begs the question; does the game still lag as much as it did before? By before, I mean things such as town lag, lagging at bosses, things of that nature.

I've tried logging on more recently (around this year's anniversary events), but I could not go further than one screen before having the game freeze entirely and then crash, several times. But that could just be the servers being shoddy as expected.

2. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Is lag still a major issue with the game?

The specific issues of town lag and boss lag have been fixed. Less people in general play now so server lag shouldn't be such a major concern. The rest of the possible issues is just random unknowns that have no real explanation.

3. Default Re: Is lag still a major issue with the game?

I don't lag at all unless you count the 3am EST/12am PST server tick that resets the counters for stuff. DCing is also not an issue as I can stay online for multiple days and doing different activities with no lag at all.

4. Default Re: Is lag still a major issue with the game?

Lag is nearly nonexistent for me.

Sure there's still a small delay in changing areas, but I think it's more on my part than the actual server's part. It only really happens when there are a lot of people clumped together, but in the end it stops after a few seconds.

But yeah if any lag, it's most likely just a mystery.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

My older computers still lag, the newer ones are mostly ok lag-wise.

However, Maple uses up a LOT of RAM, and leaks and corrupts it constantly. If I leave it on too long (can be hours, can be a couple of days), it's going to crash, no matter what I do (or don't do - I can leave my char afk in a tiny empty map, doesn't matter, the game will still crash). On my main computer it usually develops graphic glitches before it crashes. On one of the others it usually either freezes up (disconnects but the window doesn't close), or closes with a "hacking detected" notice (when there is absolutely nothing open on that computer but maple. No browser, no chat program, nothing). On the third it just closes silently.

Smegas always do a lag spike, and when Maple has eaten up too much of my memory, even buddy/alliance chat does that.

The servers only lag at the tick of midnight, and the Evo/DI server tends to lag on 2x.

All in all, while it's been worse (town lag is mostly gone, thankfully), it's definitely not as smooth an experience as it was 4-6 years ago.

6. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

So it looks like not much has changed then. At the very least I'm glad to know town/boss issues are gone.

Thanks, guys.

7. Default Re: Is lag still a major issue with the game?

If you... play from other countries like me, latency is your enemy. Maplestory is, in general, no match for a decent computer so graphics lag isn't the issue usually.

Hadriel

8. Default Re: Is lag still a major issue with the game?

I get latency issues cos of where im from, but for me town lag has been reduced.

However, i get bugs and issues out the yazoo (is that the saying idek) eg: Opening the game im in a state of loading/this program has stopped responding for 5 minutes at least. The client can randomly close for no reason, and sometimes it pineapples my entire desktop up to the point where i cant control my character, so i log out, and then cant type anything in skype or open any tabs in firefox and then only resolve i can find is to restart.

Its kinda like the whole sticky keys option turns on but its not that if you know what i mean.

9. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

It's wazoo hahaha yazoo is pretty funny though i might start saying that