IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

So I just finished up the last of Brian Sanderson's novel (and novellas) and figured I'd put the call out for new Sci-fi or Fantasy authors that others recommend. I'll read just about anything in these genres but I've been on a dystopia and urban fantasy kick so I'm especially interested in anything similar.

I'll throw out that I've already read basically everything by Gearge R. R. Martin, Terry Pratchett, Simon R. Green, Brian Sanderson, Ji, Butcher, Heinlein, Asimov, Philip K. plantain, Brett, Orson Scott Card, Joel Rosenburg, Christopher Paolini, Gibson, Robert Jordan, and most of the other usual suspects that I can't remember off the top of my head. So feel free to suggest anything you liked :D and I'll just update the already read list if needed.

Oh and I've read 90% of everything Star Wars not that I think anyone would actually recommend those.

Help a compulsive reader out!

2. Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

You could try Stephen King's Dark Tower series, they were pretty good (not a fan of book 6, but otherwise great).

3. Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

I personally really enjoyed the Bartimaeus trilogy

4. Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

The Forever War was a fascinating read for me a few years ago.

5. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    usa

Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

Way ahead of you. I finished Skin Game last week.

@Marksman Bryan; I've heard of that one before and it's definitely going on my list. I think it was referenced in something eke I read recently... Hyperion Cantos maybe? Idr
    I'll check out the others after work.

6. Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth if you don't mind a pretentious MC in the last couple books. If you need more fantasy genre than that, just ask, I have a small library of them to reference, I own a good hundred or so series focusing specifically on that genre because I don't really like many others.

As to the ones I stated already, Chronicles of Amber is definitely the shortest but I think it's a pretty good mix of high fantasy/politics, adventure and later in the series sci-fi due to a later MC's "creation" and how it plays into the story. Prince of Nothing has an even more immersive political side than ASoIaF does, with the main focus being more on psychological warfare, though it's still definitely got the high fantasy aspect...it's an ongoing series, at book 5 of 9 currently. Sword of Truth is kind of a more entry-level fantasy series, still can be enjoyable though if you can look past how annoyingly pretentious Richard is some of the time, especially when giving 20 page speeches on how communism is bad.

You could also try the Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss, it's not a finished series either but it's pretty good.

7. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    usa

I've actually read all of the Sword of Truth books. I'd forgotten about Goodkind, probably because his stuff is meh. Some of it was good, but a lot of it was just blatantly stolen from Ayn Rand.

8. Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_(Lu_novel)

Not as adult as Game of Thrones, but it's a young adult trilogy that alludes to USA turning into a North Korea-esque regime. Supposed to be adapted to a film in the next few years last I heard.

All 3 = easily 3 days tops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84
    If parallel universes count as sci-fi. Just...it's Haruki Murakami, who can write some really trippy stuff.

9. Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

Multiverse is a legitimate theory (as I'm sure verrkol knows), but we don't really know much about parallel universes (and if I understand the physics correctly, we can never know). Any implementation of them into literature can definitely be considered sci-fi

10. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

Watershed Trilogy was an interesting story.

http://www.amazon.com/Breach-Watersh.../dp/0441003494

Also, the Renshai trilogy/chronicles is also pretty good. It's thick with Norse mythology.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Rensh.../dp/0886775035

11. Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

An interesting read is a series called "In Her Name". I read it a while ago when the first book was free on Amazon (first one that was published, at least), and I actually thoroughly enjoyed it (I wasn't sure about it, since it was a free book and everything). It's an interesting combination of Fantasy and Science Fiction. The author recommended reading order is here, although the last three books are actually the first ones that the author published, to my knowledge. I also only ever read the last three (The Redemption set), so I have no idea how the other six are. The name is weird...but it makes sense once you start reading it.

I'd go back and read them myself, but I'm in the early-middle of the Wheel of Time series...so I'm booked (no pun intended) for a long while.

12. Default Re: Good Sci-fi or Fantasy novels?

Brandon Sanderson, not Brian. ...unless Brian is just so dang niche Brandon eclipsed him so hard google autocorrects you even when you wrap "Brian Sanderson" in quotes, anyway.

Anyhoo, my own suggestions:
    Abhorsen series by Garth Nix, not sure if his other stuff is good 'cause I've never gotten around to it.
    Seconding the Bartimeaus series by Jonathan Stroud.

Most everything else I'd recommend is already on your list there, but for the sake of anyone else looking for suggestions, very much yes on the Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan.
    Doesn't matter what book it is, if one of them wrote it, it's worth reading.
    Last edited by Daakun; 2014-07-17 at 04:05 AM.