View Poll Results: Do You Care WHO You Marry on MS?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 76.09%
  • No

22 23.91%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

I'll marry whoever; I'm only in it for the apples (Though a hopeless online crush has persuaded me into marrying them before). I wouldn't, however, just marry some random person I met through a Smega. That's just weird, and is also an easy way to get yourself jipped out of $25.

2. Default

Interact... with people... on maple? BLASPHEMY!

But in all seriousness, the only friends I had that I would have even cared to marry on MS have quit so that killed any hope of me even thinking about doing the APQ (I seriously have no one on almost any of my buddy lists on any of my characters that even play anymore). If I ever did get an uncontrollable urge to APQ, I would end up just taking my IRL friend's account (he uses female characters and stopped playing) and just use one of those.

So yeah, all in all, to answer the question, yes it matters and I'm pretty well strict with it.

3. Default

Not for everyone.

I got Maple-married to my IRL fiance the day weddings were released. We even stayed up the extra couple hours during the emergency server check just because we were so excited to get married. We are both poor college students, and our real wedding is nowhere in sight. Having a small "ceremony" in MS was really, really sweet, and it meant a great deal to me at the time that at least our virtual characters could be married when we didn't have the money to be married in real life. Having the little glowing star hovering over our heads, as small (and irritating to other people) as it was, to me was a way to say, "he's mine" to the rest of the Maple world.

I should probably say that I have four characters who are married in MS. Three of them are married to my fiance's characters; the other is a mule who is married to a very close and trusted friend in the game. He wanted to marry someone who he could trust enough not to break the ring under any circumstances, and had no qualms about paying for the entire wedding.

I really don't have a problem with people marrying just for APQ. It's a mutual agreement with mutual benefits so let them do what they want with their money. In the long run I'd say it's a much better investment than $25 worth of gach anyway.

tl;dr: Yes, it matters to me who I marry in MS. If I'm paying for the wedding, I'll only marry my fiance's characters. If the other person is paying, he/she has to be a trusted friend. No strangers plz.

4. Default

I find online GAME relationships to be the stupidest thing to ever be thought up. ~_~ The only reasonable relationship I can see on a game is if they are a couple in real life. For gods sake.. if you're trying to find a mate on a kids game.. you've got a problem. Go to match.com or eharmony.com for gods sake..

And yes I can understand if you are really good friends with someone of the opposite sex in the game and you marry them... but if you try to make something out of it and start with the "omg i love you hun" or "goodnight babe" type of phrases, you've gone too far.

Just my opinion

5. Default

In MSEA marraiges are taken kinda seriously... No one marries off his/her character off to a mule or something. Though MSEA players are sick... Most smegas say "F> horny, sexy, cashy and active gf" or "MMS session at cc20 rm20" MMS stands for matchmaking session. Lol. I've known my Maple wife for about 6 months now. And i keep in contact in real life thru text messages. So, yes, i guess i DO care.

6. Default

Though we both quit and hardly ever APQ, my girlfriend and I are married, and I don't think either of us regret it. If I didn't have someone that I consider my actual girlfriend, I would have married two of my own characters to prevent stupid divorce drama. I personally think Maple marriage is a very solid investment of real money to gradually make a lot of mesos; it's one of the best deals in cash shop. So, marrying someone not completely reliable is not really a good idea.

7. Default

I married a friend that I knew in real life. I wouldn't marry someone I couldn't trust to not break the marriage. And for me, maple marriage was the best investment of mesos used to get NX through the MTS. Zero real life money spent. :D

8. Harrisonized

Have fun w/ the wall of text. ^^
    Last edited by Harrisonized; 2009-01-02 at 02:47 AM.

9. Default

I've always married a good friend cause I didn't care much about APQ but my friend eventually did and I like Spouse chat. ;)

10. Default

I found most of the TS' posts rather cynical.
    My former main is married to my real life boyfriend who I met on Maple. We've gone through a lot, and even though we have a bit of a problem now (not us, people around us), we'd like to see our characters as a goal of our own, that one day we'll be like that, in front of family and friends. Just not in a Vegas style chapel, LOL.

My sniper is married to my close friend irl, who has quit that character for a while now, but meh, at least no divorce drama would go on.

Overall, I have married my characters to people that I really care about, and know in real life. I also think that guys who want the girl to pay for the wedding not worthy. I see TS' concerns about marriage on MS, but meh, I guess I am just lucky...

11. Harrisonized

It's true. Most of the posts go along the line of, "I'm marrying my own mule so I get double apples", or "I'm marrying someone if they pay half so they don't break the ring", or "I'm marrying someone only for the apples", ect.

I can go on and on.
    LoL! I was talking and one of my friends says to me "why don't you just marry a mule so you can APQ twice and not fear having someone break the ring?" when she was married to her best friend. What a hypocrite. =(

12. Electron
    IGN: Kaidri
    Server: Bera
    Level: 148
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: IronArrows
    Alliance: Accord

I doooo.

1) Must be active. I <3 spamming spouse chat.
    2) No hacking/scamming.
    3) Can't be a moron.
    4) Must not break the ring.
    5) Has to be a friend.
    6) Must realize it's just for APQ--and we're not in an e-lationship.

13. Won't Be Coming Back

IGN: Helioh
    Server: Mardia
    Level: OMO
    Job: Hunter
    Alliance: '_-

I do care. If someone pretends to be a girl or puts any emphasis on their gender as if it means anything I don't want to be married to them. There is already a 1 person to 1 person chat, whisper, except it's better because whispers can be sent to anyone. Spouse chat is unnecessary. No one that you know only through Maple Story is your friend, nor do you really know them. They project an image of themselves, which they will usually take care to ensure is flattering and only include things that will be viewed positively. The only thing you can like or dislike about a person is how they represent themselves. All it is is an act.

The people that are naive and take it seriously, as if the people thousands of miles away that they have never met before genuinely care about them are the people that are sad, not the people that see it for what it is and choose to get married for an actual purpose (apples).

14. Harrisonized

Obviously, the common person would not like seeing a faker.
    Who actually uses whisper to hold a conversation? Nobody that I know of. Whispers are sent to people such as Zhelm hosters or people you're just sending messages, similar to the New Year's cards to. Have you ever tried using whisper to chat with more than one person at a time?

Also, with friendships, there comes a hierarchy to who you'd talk to more often. Someone trying to talk to you through whisper would screw up your chat with someone else you may one to talk to.
    Tell me then, what is your real self? Isn't real life not an act as well? Or does everyone here have split-personality disorder where when they get online their identity suddenly morphs? If a person has an online identity and a "real-life" identity, what then, will you take as the "real" identity? Know that these are "real-people" sitting behind their computers, not people who becomes CPUs when they get online.
    In real life, people have identities. You know their personality in real life.
    Online, people have identities. You know their personality online.

So what's the difference between someone presenting themselves in real life and online?

Also, I didn't say you had to care about each other. Maybe the casual chat, an online friend who's an online spouse doesn't have to be a virtual love.

What then, is the purpose of your buddy list? To use it as a list to gather those you train with? Guild, merely to GPQ and form bossing parties?

You are too cynical.

15. Won't Be Coming Back

Well no, whisper isn't very good when talking to more than one person, but spouse chat is worse because you CAN'T talk to more than one person. It's not worth the effort of switching to. I would prefer to talk to my spouse through any of the other chats that I have much greater likelihood to use. I don't use whisper very often, nor am I trying to say it's that great, but it still is better than spouse chat in every way.

You can act in real life as well, but it's much easier to notice when someone is doing so. Things besides just the verbal communication such as body language can give it away. There are people that are particularly good at it, but few can keep it up for very long and in every situation that is thrown at them. After you get to know someone well enough (which you can't do on the internet) they will show themselves whether or not they intend to. I would take the person that they are in real life as the "real" them, of course. At least minimal observation of their daily behavior would be required to see it though.

In real life people are much more vulnerable. They are put in a position where they simply can't say some things in certain ways. Like saying that they are a ripped MMA fighter in a fashion besides joking, if they don't actually meet those conditions. Online you are nearly invincible, and could pull off the above and actually have dumb people believe you. If things such as IP addresses didn't exist, you would be practically invincible. You can be the coolest person ever on the internet, but in real life you will inevitably be found out if your claims aren't true. It's not very hard to see the impact that anonymity has.

I add people to my buddylist that I find interesting. I delete people that I find generic and boring. I add people that train with me or do the things you mention sometimes, but I usually delete them if they say or do things that are lame. I'm pretty picky, I only have about 10 people on my buddy list right now.

I am realistic, not cynical. I would love for there to be hot person of the opposite gender that is around my age to be madly in love with me to such an extent that they must chat me up for hours on Maple Story, but I've accepted the fact that it's really an old, ugly person. I learned this when I was 12 and played Starcraft all night.

16. Harrisonized

Spouse chat =/= Whisper chat. You don't use one for the other. And if both are bad, why bother bringing them up.
    That's not what I meant. What I meant is behavior, which is what's "normal", or, if there's a definition for "normal", not "acting" does not exist. All people act. Is existance, not an act? You act like you're great? You act like your smart? You act the way you act in order to send messages to other people all time, using the same principle as you would "act" online. So what's the difference? "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players," as quoted from Shakespeare.

So define normal. "Not acting" does not exist.
    That's because in real life, there's actually enforcement. Online, there's no enforcement for any crime, which is why you can hack online games and get away with it but not break into bank vaults in real life and not face some sort of punishment.
    While that's true, it's also true that only stupid people would go online just to lie. I don't see how that's productive in any way.
    Online, while your body is hidden, your personality is NOT. A person is defined by their actions, no? An online person is merely a personality without a body. As I said, people who lie merely because of anonymity are not worth talking to. However, based on experience, many people will not lie. I have the FaceBooks of many people, and they're always consistent with their real figures. I know the FBs aren't faked either. I'm not saying get yourself entangled in a relationship where someone can just log off on you forever but at least treat people like friends while they last.
    Who doesn't add people who are interesting? When I meet new people, I delete the ones who never talk to me first. Isn't that the same with everyone?
    Sighs. When did I say I was going to go into a relationship? I merely said that I wanted a friend, not an eharmony romance. Also, I disagree with the second part of the quote that all people are old and ugly. Are you old and ugly? What are the chances that the people you meet are similar to you? Wouldn't you choose similar people to be friends with?
    And as your post says, everyone's a liar. Well then, since everyone does not exempt you and I, who are both liars, under your terms, then it does not exempt your friends as well so why bother meeting them? So you can meet interesting liars and interesting fakers? People who can tell elaborate stories about themselves, in other words.

So, answer me, if everyone is a fake, everyone is a lie, why bother playing MapleStory? Why bother coming to a forum? Why bother even going online if all you're going to see are liars and fakers?
    Last edited by Harrisonized; 2009-01-02 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Edit?

17. Won't Be Coming Back

Whisper chat > spouse chat. It does everything spouse chat does and more. Even if I don't use it more than all of the other chats, it's still what makes spouse chat as unnecessary as it is and I have to acknowledge it.

Normal is a person or a group's preconceived notion of what is to be expected of someone. Existence isn't an act. You don't choose to exist. The differences between real life and the realm of anonymity are consequences and fear of having to face those consequences. The world can't be compared to the internet because everyone involved in the world isn't there intentionally, whereas everything you do online is your own decision, right down to even being on the internet in the first place. You control what you experience and can manipulate many things to work to your desire without encountering any real danger to your wellbeing. There are some risks, but they are nothing compared to those that exist in real life.

Pretty much. I mean, not exactly that there will be a punishment, but just the chance of there being one. That being reduced as much as it is online causes people to behave in completely different ways.

If the person that does it is stupid, what does it say about the person that gets fooled by it? Getting enjoyment out of harassing people online isn't much worse than getting enjoyment out of having people respect or care about you in an online video game. All games are a waste of time. It's the worst thing to do if you want to do anything productive.

That's simply not true. What you type doesn't make you who you are. You only show what you like about your personality online. You can see a person's true colors through their facial expressions or through a candid reaction they have. Having a keyboard in front of you to relay how you feel allows for the message to be skewed. The people on facebook are only consistent with what they have to be. The website is set up for social networking, so it's different than a videogame environment of course. People still lie and cheat on facebook. Photos are taken at flattering angles. Comments are edited or deleted in accordance to what a person wants others to think of them.

I wasn't trying to say I was the only one. You asked about buddy lists so I just put it as plainly as I could. That's generally what I have on my buddy list.

Many romances start as "friendships." I'm almost old. In a few more years I'll be an adult. I'm not ugly. The chances are very low, but yes, I would want to be friends with similar people. The problem is that there is no means of them actually proving that they are decent friends in a videogame. I've had enough experience with "friends" in real life running away and leaving me hanging at the first sign of trouble, and to think that someone who can quit the game at any time would be a loyal friend would be absolutely absurd.

I am a liar, and I doubt anyone that plays Maple Story has gone their entire career without lying. The most successful people in the world are all great liars. The bold is true. I do differentiate between people that have good or bad intentions, but there are some people I like that I know are horrible people that I keep buddied regardless, simply because of how hilarious they are and what they can accomplish by lying.

All that I have ever used the internet for is entertainment and education. Everything related to Maple Story would fall in the entertainment category. It doesn't bother me that everyone lies to get what they want as long as I know that that is what they are doing and I'm not the one being tricked.

18. Default

Seriously, I just looked at this thread this morning and just noticed the stupidity of it yet again.

Yes, I was there when you were discussing it on buddy list. I don't think I said much more other than I'd rather marry a good friend rather than some random. Only reason I would get married though is for APQ. I probably mentioned that too.

As for you questioning me saying that I do care, that is so stupid. You havn't even made it clear your definition of "caring" and that is going to vary from person to person. So, caring is agreeing with your 3 points that you made?

All I see this thread is, is you trying to make us all agree with you...

As for what you should have told your friends, just "I don't agree with marrying for just APQ" would have done the job just fine rather than making a fuss
    Last edited by Heidi; 2009-01-02 at 12:15 PM.

19. Default

@Harrisonized: Correct. However, that wedding was free, that and I got married on my Cleric (which is nothing more than a mule-character that I use to store ores now), so I didn't really care.

But if it was on my main characters that I play all of the time, I would.

20. Default

Well, I would just marry just to APQ, but since I really don't know anyone in MS anymore (in real-life and/or in-game), and that I rarely go on MS anymore, I chose not to take that step.

Yes, I know people will lecture me about "It never hurts to try", but why should I make an effort like this in a game that hardly appeals to me anymore?