Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

Maybe some of you have already seen this, but
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/574...box-one-review
    Let's just get this out of the way before even looking at the content of the article, THE TITLE IS "SPOOK COUNTRY".

SPOOK

COUNTRY

JESUS.

Anyway, it's kind of a typical review until we get to this, the second cringeworthy part;
    "Victim" and "criminal" are just about all that exist in this game; either someone is getting pineappleed up or someone is pineappleing someone up. And if they are doing neither, generally the player is pineappleing them up, so that's still a victim I'd say...and by the way, RACIALLY TONE-DEAF WHILE CALLING YOUR ARTICLE "SPOOK COUNTRY" does not give your article many merit points.

Personally I think the flavor text can be the funniest part of the game, but that's just me. When I saw the screenshot of the blood donor with HIV I almost pissed myself laughing, but I digress. I might play this at some point, but overall it looks kind of bland to me; if I wanted GTA I would play GTA, and I've seen videos showing that you can basically ignore hacking anything in most cases and just go rambo against 999999 squad cars and helicopters, just like GTA.

2. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

If I were to guess I would say that Spook Country is a reference to the 2007 novel Spook Country, which seems to explore a lot of the same themes as Watch_Dogs does.

Also considering one of the first plot-points in the game is the main character's niece getting murdered I'm willing to believe his comment about women only existing to be victimized isn't far off.

3. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

Wait so are we talking about how the review was a bad review, or how they reviewed the game and thought that the game was bad?
    I don't exactly see how that's a bad review.

4. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

It's just a bunch of SJW crap. The game isn't that great, I don't care THAT they thought it sucked, I care WHY they said it sucked.

Correct, that was most likely their aim, but words/terms mean more than one thing, and "spook" is a pretty bad racial slur. I'm just pointing out the irony that they called a game "racially tone-deaf" while using a racial derogative right in the title. If they hadn't said that, it wouldn't matter as much, but they are trying to take a moral high ground (or what they think is one) toward race and gender relations in this article.

5. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

It's also a common term for spies. Sure, the word has also been used as a racial slur, but it's about the same as using "Chink in the Armor" as a subtitle.

6. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

7. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

one of the random descriptions that someone screencapped on a dude was "writes MLP fan fiction"

8. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

I saw "attended furries convention". He had a 71K a year job, too. LOL

9. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

To be honest, I've gotten nothing but bad reviews concerning this and the biggest consensus that I have seen is that the game promised something and didn't deliver. It's just another grand theft auto with none of the assassin creed stuff cascading as it alluded too. I haven't heard a really good thing about it, not to say in general the game is terrible, but it did not live up to it's promises.

10. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

I mean, each person has their own opinions of what makes a bad or a good game. I can't play GTA V because the racism/sexism and pomegranate literally makes the game unplayable for me. I'd like to know if other games fall under the same umbrella and I'm glad that this review points that out. Not all reviewers have the same opinions and it's good that they can be diverse like this.

And I've never heard "spook" as a racial slur.

We can't all be TotalBiscuit and measure a game's worth on its FoV sliders.

A review should by all means an opinion. It shouldn't just boil down to "oh yeah these graphics look pretty decent and I can play this game well."

Which isn't to say bad reviews don't exist. There are plenty of terrribbbllleee reviews. But this review seems fine by me.

11. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

I hear it quite often actually, but I live in Kentucky.

12. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

Spook here is clearly referring to the nickname spies, hackers, etc are given in the military. I have no idea how you're confusing that for a racial context.

13. Trump minus th money

cooking with peanut oil
    chink in the armor

14. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

I'm not confusing it, I realized from the start, but the word means multiple things; if he's going to take a moral high ground, he better be prepared for people to bring up any loose end he happens to have.

15. Trump minus th money

Last edited by xparasite9; 2014-05-28 at 10:27 PM.

16. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

You're using the exact same bullpomegranate arguments he is, then complaining about the bullpomegranate arguments he's making. It's two strawmen pointing fingers at each other and each laughing at the fact that the other one is covered in crow pomegranate.

17. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

YES, I AM. THATSTHEJOKE

There is a reason I didn't post this in current events, you know. If he's going to use retarded arguments and act superior about it, then he should be prepared to have the same thing done to him.

hahaha, that ending...

Well, after watching that, I can say this isn't even a maybe on piracy, not even worth stealing. One of the biggest issues I have is the map size, I saw a comparison map with various GTA games and it's a tiny ass square compared to all of them. I just checked and it's 14GB, too. What an unoptimized piece of crap...sure you can interact by hacking, but it lost all other interactions based on what I saw from that.

18. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

Map size has almost nothing to do with the total file size of a game because map data takes up a negligible amount of space. Maps aren't stored fully rendered, they're just a data structure with a bunch of information like "parked car is sitting here" and "This building goes here." You could store a map as a text file. It's inefficient, but you could. Most of a game's total size is going to come from 1) The art assets (models and textures), 2) Sound, and 3) pre-rendered cutscenes (if any exist). Watch_Dogs is probably 14 GB because it's a next-gen game that uses high-res textures.

Also, I don't really see how Geis was acting superior about it. He put in two short paragraphs talking about the elements in the game that he found problematic and he never says anything like "Ha, I could have done it SO MUCH BETTER", he just says that yeah, he found that it was a bad part of the game.

19. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

Not based on that video posted in this thread. I've seen the game on highest settings and it still doesn't look amazing, and there's also the fact that you need a $5K+ PC to even run it that high.

20. Default Re: Polygon's absolutely terrible Watch_Dogs review

At this point it's well known the PC version is hot garbage, I don't think anyone will argue that, but the quality of a texture as applied in the game doesn't speak to its resolution and size as it sits in the filesystem. Besides, it's not like 14 GB is a large amount of data for modern AAA games.