Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Default Solar Freakin' Roadways!

Indiegogo link here.

This is an incredible idea. I plan on donating to this on my next paycheck. I'm surprised this project only has 9 days left, which is a shame.

2. Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

Its one of their flexible funding campaigns so they get the money regardless of if they reach their goal or not.

3. Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

Oh oh oh, I saw this ... where did I see this.. I saw this on imgur I think! Yes!
    I talk too much but if you feel like reading it all have at it

I feel like they're changing wayyy too many things at once that affects several too many industries at once (electric, internet, water treament, etc). Don't get me wrong, I'd love that.. but .. US companies and government bodies perhaps not so much. Also I'm getting very tired of anything with a processor being called "smart."

4. Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

how the pineapple would the installation work, they'd have to close down entire lanes and in some cases highways while they're working on this

what's the weight? how will this affect bridges

how smooth would the transition be from tiles to road

HOW SLIPPERY IS THIS pomegranate WHEN IT RAINS/SNOWS

asphalt allows for plow drivers to simply push snow without regard, as they scrape across the road surface, how do you plow these roads

what will be used for backup power when it snows?

5. Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

Good question. The top is textured, bumpy, tempered glass, however it still is glass. Unless they put some sort of abrasive in it it may remain slippery to an extent.

6. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

supposedly these warm themselves up to melt snow, there was a picture on their site i think. of course doesn't answer ALL the questions (power failure, EXTREEM SNOW, etc)

7. Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

The thing that interested me was the concept of a decentralized power grid. If one cell or even an array of cells go out, From the FAQ it sounds like the other cells can compensate. I'm not an engineer, though. :/

8. Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

am i the only one who watched the videos/read the faq...

9. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

This stuff is just unrealistically expensive.

Roads are made with asphalt because it's basically using petroleum waste products for something instead of just dumping it.

10. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

So is updating our infrastructure in general though right?

11. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

depends on what you mean by "updating"

12. Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

this is why we see no trains anywhere

13. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

I used to think this, then I saw how much over budget the latest attempt at high speed rail has gone in California.

I like this idea a lot because it decentralizes power production and ought to be relatively easy to fund through current infrastructure avenues. I am still skeptical about it's economic viability and durability as a roadway.

14. Default Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways!

I'd really love to see budget comparisons between Japan high speed rails and how much the cal train was. Just for curiosity's sake. Maybe a restructure is in order! Not so much really, but it'd be fun to compare for sure.

Durability tests passed with flying colors, they have demonstration vids on the indie gogo as well as their website FAQ, but economic viability remains to be seen. I'm fairly skeptical in general because it's a great idea that'll put a lot of people out of business or losing profits. No bueno in americana