IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

Hi, I would really appreciate it if I got advice on this ASAP.

So I'm doing incredibly badly in this CS class. The only reason I'm floating along right now is because of my partner, since most projects are done in groups.

For the final project we split up work pretty evenly. He's done a pretty good job on his part. However, I'm pineappleing up hard and don't get jack pomegranate, and because of that, we're likely going to fail the project.

My partner doesn't deserve a bad grade. Just now I've been debating about sending an email to the professor saying you should fail me, but leave my partner out of this and have him pass the course?

And it's 7 in the morning. No one else is awake here, so I don't have anyone else to ask for advice. The project is due tomorrow, and there's no possible way I could finish my part now or even do a half-ass job. I'm already pulling an all-nighter and I got hardly anything done. The TA I was talking to either fell asleep or quit exasperated at my dumb questions.

Please. What can I do?

2. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

Best think you can do is go with that email... not sure what else to do ._.

3. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

Actually, you should be doing whatever part you have to do instead of being here.
    No offense but you are just wasting more time.
    Skip classes if you have to but get the pomegranate done.

4. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

New_Jersey

There's no classes anyways. I've literally been sitting around the university building instead of going back to my dorm for hours at a time. I've only been eating one meal a day, and I haven't showered or changed clothes in at least two. I've been to almost all available office hours, but right now I literally have almost zero work done. As I mentioned I'm pulling an all-nighter right now, and the night before I only got about 3 hours. I just don't. I can't. I don't know the material well enough. There's no way in hell I can get it done by tomorrow.

Edit: Yes, I'm still working on it until the deadline.

5. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

Well corn, this isn't the first time I read that you were having problems with coding, you need to communicate your difficulty and take responsibility for this group project. So I feel your best option is not only to email the professor that you want to take responsibility of the incompletion, but that you're lost in the curriculum. You can't solve a problem if the person who can help doesn't know there is a problem to begin with. You may have to see a student advisor or something of that nature, but I feel that's the best way to go about this.

6. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

You should talk to your partner before anything, maybe he can help you. Focus on what you can do now and leave that email option as a last resort.

7. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

dude if you were struggling you should have told your partner earlier. that way he/she could have finished your part in time and you'd both be fine.

i think you should just try get something out so you can both pass. teacher might not take your email.

try call your partner see if they can finish it.
    thats just groupwork, sometimes you leech off the other person, sometimes they leech off you. sort of like partying in maple

or - you can go on the internet and offer some indian guy some money to do it for you

8. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Being in this situation before, I know how you feel.

One, talk to your partner. It's not a group project if you don't discuss concerns with your teammate(s).

Two, if you're really serious about this, you would keep working at it you should ask for help! Your partner may be able to help you out, hence why it should be brought up. If you are truly unable to complete your part by the deadline, you may let your professor know that that is on your part and not your partner's. A rule of group projects is that if someone isn't pulling their weight, the entire group should not be penalized for it, as long as they let the professor know what problems had arisen. But you should at least be recognized for the fact that you are at least trying.

Three, talk to your professor about the course. S/he will understand if you explain what your problem is and might be able to give you some advice.

Really, if there's anything I learned out of college, it's to not go about things by yourself and considered yourself doomed to fail without talking to someone about it first. So really, coming to us for help was a good idea, and so will talking to those involved.
    Last edited by MariettaRC; 2014-05-12 at 03:31 PM.

9. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

Once you figure out what to do for this project specifically, you need to figure out what exactly you don't understand about the class.

Is it the syntax? Do you not understand the thought process required for the problem? Is the theory confusing (looking at you, thermo)?

When I took APCS, at least for me, it was never an issue of not understanding how to code - it was always "do I REALLY have to do it this way? Is there an easier way to do this besides writing 15 loops and making 30 objects?"
    It was something I couldn't see myself doing for the rest of my life. Debugging was way too frustrating.

Best of luck with however the project turns out. Definitely talk to your partner, and see what they think you should do.

10. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Talk to your partner.
    He may be able to half-ass your part in a way that would pass.
    Don't keep working on it. If you couldn't code it right when you were alert, what chance have you now, sleep-deprived and all? You're wasting your time. Call your partner in.

11. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

This is actually a good point. More than anything, you just need to let your partner know how things are going on your end and that you need help.

12. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial

Why did you wait so long to cry out for help?

13. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

What is the project even Corn? As in, what are you guys trying to accomplish with your code?

14. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

New_Jersey

Well, I sent the email. She basically just said "Oh, come on, you can do it! You still have a day or two!" I also told my partner shortly after I got the reply. He was quite softened and told me not to worry about it too much.

I'm entering my second all-nighter in a row. The second one in my entire life. For some strange reason I don't feel tired. Have I gained insomnia?

The presentation is in 5 hours.

And guess what? I literally have pomegranate done. Yeah, I'm sitting here ranting. pineapple. pineapple. pineapple.

In a prior assignment we had to code a hash table in C. I could easily do it in Java. Python. Ocaml. Even C#. But C? pineapple. pineappleing mallocs and pointers.

Why the pineapple am I a CS major?

Why the pineapple do I even go here?

pineapple.

15. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

Probably all the adrenaline pumping due to various reasons. You'll crash later.

16. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

Get your sh`it in gear, stop complaining and start winning

17. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

1) Seriously? You're a cs major and you're JUST NOW doing all nighters and you're scared about it? DUDE HELLO? WELCOME TO COLLEGE WHERE MOST PEOPLE DO THIS. Do not sit there and tell me you've been alone in your all nighters when i guarantee there's a whole floor of people at your library doing the same for days longer than you.
    2) Why aren't you posting your project here so we can give you advice on your project instead of advice on your b'itching?
    3) You already did the hard part and told them you're f'ucked and you still haven't done anything? Jesus at least go to another professor and ask them for tips if you had this kind of time. I thought you made this thread the night before it was due but no it was due in ONE OR TWO DAYS???

This thread is really starting to piss me off.

18. Default Re: [Serious, I need Life Advice Immediately] Final Project Dilemma

So how'd it go?

I want to bet it probably wasn't as bad as you feared.