IGN: PlsBuffBT
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 22x
    Job: Beast Tamer
    Guild: Path
    Alliance: Meme
    Farm: Yeiionde
    england

Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I think certain parts are fun, sure. I mainly think 1-50 is fun. 50-60 is a drag and I hate it but it's low levels and you basically get 50-52 free from easy Zak. 60-120 is great. Most classes get into their stride by this point and you can just murder everything while going to a bunch of different places (I miss MP3. ;_;). After that the game can start to dip for me honestly. After 120 it doesn't get fun for me until I reach HoH and get to smash stuff. DIPQ is boring when you're weak. Evo system can get tedious after a long time and there's not really that much content in between 120 and 170. I mean...go look at any guide that tells you where to level up. Your options for 100+ until Hall of Honor tend to be Evo and DIPQ then nothing else. I mean you can do Colossus, but most people don't and it's not like it gives you that much exp for doing it even if they do it.

2. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

Well technically you can exclude the events since, the events we get don't last. When the event ends then what happens then? Like monstermonopoly wont always be here, when that ends all there would be left is the aspects of maplestory that are permanently available.
    So sure you could say they're a enormous part of MapleStory since we ALWAYS get them and will ALWAYS(maybe) will. But i wouldn't count them as a core since oneday the events will end and all there would be left is what we currently have in-game.

Eh i disagree.
    The reason to why some people still play MapleStory is because of all the time and money they already invested into it. Even if they strongly disliked maplestory now, they would have a hard time to just abandon all their progress.

Also other reason could be addiction. There are some people who forget maplestory is even a game where you're suppose to have fun, some people dedicate their lives to this game and/or treat it as a fulltime/parttime job. Which i cant really blame them for, since that's whats required of you to get somewhere in this game if you don't wanna spend absolutely any real money. :/

And OTHER reason could be just because their friends are playing it, they could find the game absolute crap but still log-on to play ONLY due to their friends.

Yeah this is what i'm starting to believe.
    Like seriously, despite all the horribleness and negativity that's maplestory from the terrible customer service to the bland, repetitive, pay2win gameplay, excessive disconnections, and hackers/botters this game still has thousands of players coming online every day.

This guy named IImaplers quote is exactly how i feel and been thinking. (This quote also made me laugh so hard for some reason):

3. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I think the "pay to win" concept is a little exaggerated, it's an illusion based on the fact maplestory has such little content. So bossing, a big piece of content, if not the only end game content, requires a certain threshold of money spent to even stand a chance. It's the new goal is now efficiency, which causes massive investments, unless 1 of three happens;

You happen upon a lucky glitch

You cheat

You have been playing for years.

Back in the day bossing was a very small part of maplestory, it being only of zakum, and being capable of challenging it at 130, where you weren't even at half the experience threshold to 200. The focus shifted because of one factor, and I'll make sure everyone see's it;

Profit.

The ultimate goal to any free to play game is to be able to play a game and turn a profit significant enough to make reasonable growth. Maplestory actually offered this by simply training, where certain mobs at a certain point would drop equipment that was worth something. Zakum was for the elite, and I would argue for majority of it's life, Horntail as well. But as a casual player you could turn a profit training, and the more you trained, the closer you got to those bossing squads. Maplestory recognized this apparently, but instead of seeing it as a success, saw a method to exploit this "goal" by offering other enhancement materials, starting out with dark scrolls, which were only gachaponable upon release. This wasn't really gamebreaking since the explosion effect really added risk to reward, although I feel the ratio could have been different.

Then the cubes came out, where people could buy that bossing potential (pun intended), which skipped majority of the training growth aspect. Before it was about Drops:Ratio:EXP to your class, unless you were previously funded. Potential made clean equips neigh worthless unless it came with a decent potential, but even then because of the tiers, class restrictions, it's not like they were a hot item. People don't want to invest money into a level 10 item with 4% int, especially since leveling speed became a joke. I mean I don't say that in terms of "WELL EVERYONE SHOULD WORK FOR THEIR LEVEL', it's more on the lines of, 1-150 might as well be a cash shop item, because you mainstream the same maps, only focusing on the exp:hp ratio. That's it, and most of the time you can 1hko everything anyway.

They took the funding from simply training, put it all in one basket at bosses, and give you the option to solo any boss in the game to maximize said profit. I believe that this was the company's main goal to begin with, to exploit that option by daggling in the air saying "It's possible, but do you have the pockets/time to achieve it?".
    ----

As for you poll it's going to be hard to get an accurate pool when you appear argumentative to those who are saying they essentially do have fun playing maplestory. Based on the tone of your post, people are going to try to prove you wrong because you don't think people can have fun, and made that clear in the opening statement. People are naturally going to come out of the woodwork to declare that they do to defend their ideologies, decisions, and in general themselves.

4. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

GMS has had a pretty constant stream of events for years, they're not always active, but virtually every patch/update we've had has given some events. I have friends who only play MapleStory for the events now and don't log in when there aren't any. They still find the game fun.

5. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

Ironically its those events that have hurt maplestory the most

6. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

Well, i more or less think people can truly have fun with MapleStory. I'm not trying to sound argumentative, i mostly just genuinely want to know if people truly find this game FUN and NOT a CHORE/JOB.
    I kinda want to know if people with a sane-mind like MapleStory, or if its just the addiction that's doing the talking.

7. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I'd say only the ones that force you to log in are the ones that hurt the game. Feeling like you're obligated to log in and 'play' in order to better your character is a not a good design. Stuff like the Valentine's Day events were good for everyone, you could do them pretty casually and get decent rewards or if you had the time/patience you could do them all day and get a ton of stuff out of it. My favourite events are the ones that don't result in any actual advantages to your character though, the Mesoranger DDR was probably my favourite, didn't really get anything out of that aside from entertainment.

8. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I personally think it's still fun, but then again, I never really felt the need or saw the point in having trillions of mesos or being able to steamroll endgame bosses on my own. I just play at my own pace, doing quests and collecting things.

Sure, I've spent in the past, but even if I was unfunded and never spent anything, I'd probably still enjoy using the ingame systems available for free to everyone to advance my character. Most people seem to just dismiss everything that isn't Tyrant/RA or just handed to them for free, but you don't actually NEED any of that to enjoy the game.

I know people will disagree with me or I'll get pomegranates for it, but that's just how I feel.

9. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I was talking more about the exploits that allowed people to exploit the item rewards, not the actual concept, that was my fault for not clarifying

You were on the mark with the abuse that you have to tolerate as a player, but as for a chore/job, those are just negative connotations of a "hobby". Some people may see those chores less as chores and more of a fun hobby. If your job is your hobby you never work a day of your life, as they say.

10. Polar Bear Gay Male
    IGN: danielcatu
    Server: yellonde
    Level: 121
    Job: Wind Archer
    Guild: Vendetta
    Farm: 765pro
    chile

Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I always used to see maplestory as wonderboy

that's why find MS fun, the artstyle, the music makes the game very good to play even alone sometimes

11. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

MapleStory is only really fun if you're a high level and can boss, or if you play with friends. I often make a new character with my friend and we play together and level up together. Waiting for her to actually get on her Tamer so we can hit 200.

12. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

Now you are speaking my language. I enjoy the game because it's so much like the games I enjoyed in my 20s but with 10,000 other people.

13. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I never really had fun with it, to be honest. It was cute and charming, and I enjoyed it as a glorified social network, but I never really had fun with the game itself. It was just something I played, nothing in particular was really fun aside from the people I knew. :/

14. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

For me it's like a really pomegranatety addiction that I return to every couple of years for a few months. I don't actually enjoy the game, not anymore. Everyone I met has moved on with their lives, I assume. And so have I, really. But every couple of years, like right now, I'll get this bizarre urge to sign in and ... and ... I don't even know. Not play, that's for sure. I never actually play the game. I'll just walk around. I'll spend a month doing this, just walking around aimlessly, until suddenly I am hit by a startling clarity: the notion that I am wasting my time. Then I'll uninstall the game and feel like a fool for having backslid. I'll even tell myself something like "I definitely can't see myself ever playing the game again, what a pomegranatety experience that turned out to be," but lo and behold, two or three years later, I'll start thinking "I wonder if the game's gotten any better?"

I don't like comparing this pomegranate to hard drugs because I feel like that's spitting in the face of anyone who's dealt with some real pomegranate, but sometimes I feel like I'm just going back to the same pomegranatety dealer again and again and expecting better material, but every time it's just the same garbage. At least before, my friends were all there killing themselves on the same dope, but now it's just me and the dealer alone in this crumbling mansion.

I considered reinstalling yesterday, but it takes too long. I doubt I'll bother with it.

15. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I think that the thing that made Maple fun for me was that I had nothing to compare to, in every aspect that matters like game play, mechanics, community and lore. My friends suggested this game and they didn't play anything else, so I didn't really try anything else until much much later. I wasn't much of a gamer either until I was out of highschool and even then Maple was more of a casual thing that took over slowly and it wasn't until like a year after that I spent insane amounts of time on it.

Once I tried WoW I noticed how shi't maplestory was... I regretted time and money spent in MS because of how stupid it all was compared to something that wasn't so mindnumblingly grindy, that had actual lore that was interesting to get into, that had actual customer support and after 2 years of playing WoW not even once did I feel like anyone or anything was out there trying to f'uck me. Not to mention that mechanics and gameplay were far superior and you actually had to do stuff instead of just standing in a place with your character, pressing one key forever to grind/boss/anything.

The one time I went back to maple about a year or two ago the only reason why I went back was mindnumbing fun, like TV. I didn't want to think, I didn't want to make an effort, I just wanted to press one button forever and win. I'm glad I'm over that.

Maplestory is like TV, mindless fun with little value whatsoever that can be found in something else less punishing.
    Last edited by Words; 2014-05-08 at 09:40 PM.

16. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

I use to have fun playing the game when I first started. However, the more I learned about the underlying mechanics of the game, the less and less fun it became for me.

By the end of my maple career I felt obligated to log into the game. If I didn't I would fall behind and I wouldn't be able to keep increasing my character to keep up with all of the patches that felt like they were designed to resist my character's constant improvement. This ultimately just resulted in me going completely cold turkey with the game because I had played for several months without having fun. I had grown sick of the game.

So, no I don't think Maplestory is fun, but that is my opinion which was formed from my own experience with the game.

17. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

Are you me?

18. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

Well, I found it fun at some point, and my nostalgia goggles are mainly with the random people I met and joined guilds with. I hadn't played anything with a really big community before that, sans maybe GunBound or GunZ.

I still find random omok games fun, event minigames are certainly a fun excuse to log on and chat, but the core grinding aspect's lost its appeal with me. Bossing can be fun, but I'm nowhere strong enough to try learning the really fun looking ones, so yeah.

19. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

Define "fun"

20. Default Re: Do you guys think MapleStory is FUN?

He actually "defined" fun, or at least somewhat explained what he meant with it.