Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donald Sterling

1. Default Donald Sterling

Are you serious, mister Sterling?

More conversation can be found here: http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-ex...ape-1568291249

"NBA players protest racist talk attributed to L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling": http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/27/us...acist-remarks/

2. Can you hear it?
    street's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: Street
    Server: Windia
    Level: 15x
    Job: I/l mage
    Guild: Imperial
    Alliance: Royal
    Washington

Default Re: Donald Sterling

The video is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT6d5fMhz

It does not come to a shock regarding this. In his era that is how things were. Thing that people making a big deal out of is him owning a basketball team with black players. He isn't going to feel no guilt regarding the issue ,a public apology won't do him any good.

It's in the hand of the NBA on how they will deal with him. At the end of the day he is just a rich racist bastard . it will all blow over

3. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Donald Sterling was banned from the NBA and will probably be losing millions for being a racist. Does the punishment fit the crime? I'm not too sure that it does. And is it even a crime to begin with? I wouldn't call it that (make no mistake however, if you see Sterling's history, he is seemingly guilty of real crimes). I mean, the NBA knew he was a racist scumbag of a person well before this whole recorded debacle thing happened. And only now they choose to take action. Seems like a knee-jerk reaction. And what about the fact that his supposed mistress was of African-American descent? Why would he say something against black people, when the person he was even telling it to was black themselves? Is it not obvious that she (the mistress) is out for money too? So it's not like her credibility is that of a decent human being either. Yes he cheated with her on his wife, but the mistress knew full well what she was doing, and seems to have no remorse for the wife either.

I'm glad that karma is being perpetuated here for bigotry. But I'm not happy that this is what it took for it to happen. The mistress is no angel. So you sleep with a married man who is basically 40 years older than you (and everyone knows it's for money). You then record a private conversation with him without him knowing it. Are you not happy with how much he was paying you and you want more? Get the hell out of here you greedy b*.

Free speech takes a hit here as well, because America has always been supposedly the place where you can say whatever you like, no matter how stupid it is. If it's meant to be private, the public has no business with it. If you or your friends, hypothetically say to each other: "I hate my boss because he slurps loudly when he eats" and one of them secretly records that convo and plays it to that boss, should that give the boss a right to fire you? I don't think so. Same with race, color, religion, etc. Personal opinion should stay personal, unless it does something more than just "offend". To put it more clearly, when people are nothing more than offended by something someone merely said, ganging up on the person who said it can be just as classless as the viewpoint of the offender themselves.

There were better ways for every party to handle this thing, and I expect Mr. Sterling to sue the NBA and win.

Source: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...s-life-ban-nba

4. Default Re: Donald Sterling

Well, he has been banned for life and they are going to try and force him to sell the team. Glad they are giving him the maximum punishment.

edit: @IImaplers; according to the espn legal expert, Donald Sterling doesn't stand much of a chance in court

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...onald-sterling

5. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

I still think he has a shot to win (no pun intended). This is too much of a slippery slope. The taped conversation can be interpreted in multiple ways and the mistress' motives behind it can potentially be unjust themselves, in my view.

6. Default

WOW TMZ.
    SO RACIST.
    MUCH INSENSITIVE.
    SUCH CALLOUS.
    BEAUTIFUL GIRLFRIEND.
    WOW MONEY.
    LOST STOCK. LOST WIFE.
    SAVE THE GIRLFRIEND. SAVE THE WORLD.
    SO TAPED.
    WOW.

7. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Since when is it a crime to hate people?

He wasn't banning blacks from his stadium. He was saying for her to not bring them, as it would be a challenge to his manhood or something.

8. Default

I wasn't aware that racism only cost $2.5 million and a ban from the NBA.

Also yes, the girlfriend taped him. Leaked it to TMZ. If you listen to the full clip he actually directly mentions her taping him previously and leaking it to the media. So honestly with respect to the above comment that she's ungrateful, he's frankly an idiot for continuing to go out with her when she stabbed him in the back and he left the knife to be twisted some more. They are both twisted and are using each other in a relationship that is far from what we could consider conventional.

9. Default Re: Donald Sterling

How exactly are they going to stop him from attending, is all I'd like to ask. It will cost them a ton of money to post security guards specifically to stop him at every event, and it's not like he has to go as a VIP, if he goes in street clothes with a hat or something nobody would know it was him. The NBA just seems childish, like they want to control everything about everything that goes on at events. It's his right as a citizen of this country to be a racist, and its the right of others to hate him for it, but aside from that, I feel like the rest of this is overblown; people are overreacting and taking liberties that they technically shouldn't have with the situation, and above all, she is a conniving peach.

10. Default Re: Donald Sterling

Who's pressing criminal charges? Also the employees who are the clippers have every right to file lawsuits in terms of harassment, this guy goes waaaayyyy back for racial slurs, to the point where coaches have quit.

As an individual as long as you aren't performing a hate crime it's fine. However this is a public figure, who the NBA or frankly any big organization would not condone. Name me a single profession on national television that would allow this? Hell Duck Dynasty almost got cut for all the anti gay crap.

The guy should have been fired ages ago, he made almost all of his employees who he met uncomfortable to the point of quitting, this just sealed the deal because any person who did not give some sort of repercussion would look terrible, especially that has majority the employees being, ya know, black. That and it's the second time this has happened.

Also it's not even a big punishment, he can still sell the team and make some amount of money anyway.

11. Default Re: Donald Sterling

And then there was such a huge backlash that they were forced to allow them to continue. Also, I seem to recall Chick-fil-a getting a ton of flak over some executive's viewpoints on gay marriage, then after that there was actually an event where tons of people SUPPORTED the company and they actually pulled in a huge profit over it, with people lined up around the block at every branch in order to get in the day the event was scheduled. It's not up to big organizations with money to decide ANYTHING, it's up to the public, that's kind of what a democracy is supposed to be! I'm not supporting their pomegranatety viewpoints, many of them ARE deplorable human beings, but then, so are most large corporate executives and politicians, and nothing is done about them because they are good at lying about their pomegranatety viewpoints.

12. Default Re: Donald Sterling

The neat thing about the first amendment is that all it says that it can't become illegal for someone to say something. The government can't make it a crime to be racist. But other organizations that aren't the government are allowed to say and do anything they like in retaliation. It's been that way since the beginning. Hell, the same thing happens on this very forum. It's against the rules to bash forums here. I'm not allowed to say "X forum is awful and dumb just because it is," and if I say it enough times I'd be banned. That's not restricting my free speech, though, I can still spout my 'forums racism' on other forums or on twitter or just yell it in a public place or in my backyard or whatever and not pay a fine to the government or go to jail.

Being racist isn't a crime. That doesn't mean it can't be against the NBA's rules.

13. Default Re: Donald Sterling

Both instances were very special circumstances. Chick filet is a Christian company, that doesn't agree with Gay marriage, more power to them, they also didn't do any hate speech to stout that opinion either. So who's going to punish the CEO? The company with a Christian Foundation? The difference is the NBA does not agree with nor condone such racism, that isn't their foundation and having an employee especially as high ranking as that, project that image is a problem.

As for duck dynasty, you really can say the same thing. The only reason it was pulled to begin with was because the network didn't agree with it and didn't want that projected.

But in all 3 circumstances, you can see that an employee also has a responsibility to project the company's image in a positive light, that represents them positively. The only argument you can say was this was on a personal conversation, however his history, and the fact he didn't take any means for damage control, essentially makes that void. He didn't apologize for what he said, which he should have, for the company's benefit because his actions does reflect on the company.

Well there's a reason that companies outside of the government are known as private sectors. It isn't about silencing someone's freedom of speech, it's about protecting the company image. If they kept him and let him slide under the rug with minimal punishment it will be then the public who decides that the NBA condones employees like this.

Politicians are just less obvious about it, and as a friend told me, frankly the popularity and how each system works are entirely different. So it's hard to compare the two, but easy to say that neither should be condoned.

14. Default Re: Donald Sterling

One could argue that this guy didn't knowingly make a public hate speech either, but then, one could also argue that he is dumb as pomegranate for saying these things in front of a person he was already trying to sue, that he KNEW had taped him in the past, and he is DUMBER than pomegranate for actually taking the bait in that recording to her goading him into saying those things. I feel like, more than anything else, sometimes you just deserve what's coming to you when you are THAT DUMB.

15. Trump minus th money

Some people just can't help falling for obvious bait.

16. Default Re: Donald Sterling

So lets look at it like this, we take it off the table, he gets his job back, then what?

The thing is the guy has a history, they could dig pretty deep and find plenty of legitimate reasons to fire him (even this one is). The damage is done, by keeping him affiliated with the company it just makes them seem tolerant of his "Basketball players is just modern day cotton pickin!" perspective. And I think we can all agree that no one thinks that (at least at National level).

17. Default Re: Donald Sterling

Inversely, let's say he is forced to sell and is no longer affiliated with the NBA; I don't think they have the right to bar him from games even if he stayed a couch, but they CERTAINLY shouldn't if he isn't even affiliated with them any longer. It's not like he ran naked on the field firing shotguns into the crowd, he just stated his opinion, and technically only did so in a private setting. He is not a danger to anyone else in the crowd, therefore they have no grounds whatsoever to bar him.

Personally, I think she should be getting sued, not him.

18. Trump minus th money

19. Eos Scammed Me. Bi Male
    IGN: Ryninagha
    Level: 16x
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: EmoCorner
    Alliance: EmoNight

lolwut?

Would you want someone who is a known figure and representative of your brand to have a stigma of being a racist and a bigot at your functions?

It's common business practice to distance yourself from someone who is causing a pomegranate storm, regardless of whether or not it was said in private.

20. Default Re: Donald Sterling

Whether or not it's a common practice has nothing to do with whether or not they should actually be allowed to do it.