IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

While I get your point, it sounds like a pretty big bug/exploit worthy of an unscheduled maintenance anyway. If they DIDN'T fix this, people would be up in arms about Nexon not doing their job.

2. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

we already are, there's a pretty big and exhaustive list of things that should be fixed.
    but aren't
    some for years.

3. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

Seriously, ^ this

Oh there's major duping/item generation exploit out in public? Let's keep the server as long as possible then hellban everyone for a week. That'll solve everything!

Wait, exploit involving NX & related? TURN OFF SERVER ASAP 11!!!11!!

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Well obviously, but I was talking about this specific case, not nexon's track record of being lame.

Surely them addressing and fixing bugs and exploits at such a fast rate is a good thing. It annoys me the amount of people who complain about everything Nexon does, no matter what.

This is one of those cases.

5. Default [Complete] Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

6. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i've gotten a lot more cynical after playing a game that has a much more open relationship with the community, to explain, the guys screwed up and held a countdown to a massive patch everyone's been waiting for months, after the week of the countdown was over, they put... another countdown because the material wasn't ready.

obviously this pissed off everyone, but hey, better than dropping a glitchy patch right?
    after a week it apparently still wasn't ready, but they said they were going to release it so they damn well were going to release it. one of the community managers did a quick video of the guys while they were working, this screengrab is from that

Spoiler

that can't be healthy.

then they dropped the patch at midnight, and then they dropped a hotfix for glitches people found less than 4 hours later. and so far have dropped 4 hotfixes between wednesday and today. some for stuff as "useless" as sound bugs, but also drop rates, and so on. the transparency is so much better and their response to glitches and bugs is amazingly fast most of the time (unless it's stuff that really isn't that important) then they leave it for the next scheduled patch.

after looking at that i look back at nexon and wonder "and what are these guys doing!?"

7. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

If something like that was widespread soooo many people would have gotten a really unfair head start on anni coins. I'm glad they were as prompt as they were about this fix.

8. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Nexon is definitely a very sub-par company, but keep in mind the game they are working with though. It's archaic and hard to work with. The Maplestory client is a nightmare, and stuff like hotfixes can't be done as easily as it can in newer games.

That being said though, the fact that Nexon America can barely do anything themselves and have to have their hands held by Nexon Korea slows down the fixing process incredibly.

The game is outdated and in need of an overhaul, and Nexon America (or at least the Maplestory team) is incredibly disorganized.

My original point though is that they found this bug and fixed it, and people complaining about downtime and Nexon being pomegranate, while being justified, come across as incredibly whiny, when I for one am glad they fixed a bad bug so quickly. It's not their fault they had to have downtime, that's how the game works.

9. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

That's right. Actually the game needs a real overhaul in most every important aspect of the game. That's in order to avoid that kind of bugs.... and a whole USC for only one bug? ok... that has no sense after all, unless that bug is totally lethal.

10. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

Pretty lethal to their wallet :P

11. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

Didn't @SaptaZapta; explain one time why an total overhaul/Re-code was either impossible or extremely hard?

12. Brick Male
    IGN: ZeroCA
    Server: Windia
    Level: 21x
    Job: Zero
    Guild: EssentiaI
    Alliance: N/A
    Farm: ReneMule
    usa

It would have been wise to overhaul the works long ago, but now the game is much too big for that. It would take at least 4 months of rigorous programming and testing.

13. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

4 months of coding to make the game have no bugs and harder to hack/more stable sounds like a good deal to me.

14. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

They could start with that then ¬¬ Is far cheaper than constantly doing USC.

15. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

That would mean less attention to content updates and would cause the updates to suffer which would lead to an even deeper loss in profits.

Before the Big Bang patch was announced, I felt that they were running out of content to release before the Big Bang and I remember very clearly that they said there would be a big update in March. There wasn't, it was just a PQ and an updated login screen. Then came the potential system and Dual Blade. I felt that the Potential system/Dual Blade and login screen were meant to be released in the Big Bang patch but they were running out of content and couldn't possibly make up something without more testing and more fragmentation between the Big Bang version that is in development or the live version. So they grabbed a few things that were meant to be in Big Bang, changed it so it fits with pre-Big Bang and called it a day.

This game was built to run with more than 10 year old tech in mind. Of course the game feels dated, the development for this game probably started in 2001 or 2000 before it's beta in 2002. There shouldn't be one complete overhaul of the game's backend. There should be multiple stages planned and executed every couple of months.

Let's look at APB Reloaded, sometime last year they decided to do an Unreal Engine 3 upgrade a more fairly recent version (they were running on a 2008 build). They anticipated to be done last quarter or so if I recall correctly but they still aren't done and even then, they still seem to have a ton of work ahead. This is super time consuming and will definitely lead to a drop in profits making MapleStory a less viable game for Nexon to run. It's not a good investment for Nexon to start upgrading the backend of MapleStory, it takes a lot of time and probably a truckload of money. And who knows? Maybe MapleStory will die before they have finally completely upgraded the game and it'll just waste everyone's time. Maybe MapleStory 2's popularity explodes into the sky and it eats into the profit of MapleStory. The future is hard to predict in this industry and it's even harder to predict how well a game will do when it has been hyped for so long.

16. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

re-entry to certain sengoku high maps

guys doesn't sengoku high give massive amounts of exp upon leaving the map

17. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

If it always gave exp when leaving that would be pretty dumb on nexon's part. Though, i don't know how to do it otherwise...

18. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

the exp Grant system was always leaving the map to go to the next room

entering the portals triggers it

the reason this got fixed is because it's probably an experience exploit

19. Default Re: Unscheduled Server Maintenance - April 13, 2014

Sadly getting used to the daily server checks.. how sad

Is there a bug with the Bunny suit daily quest? I never get it after the first time.