Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ads

1. Default Ads

Some of you using Ad Blocker Plus may be surprised to suddenly be seeing ads;

This isn't an error, this is because you have "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" enabled and we are currently partnering with PageFair to provide advertising that meets those criteria to anyone blocking our existing ads by not white-listing us.

Additionally, many of you have no doubt noticed the new location of the upper most ad, which, while being more conspicuous, is less rearranging of the overall page than the previous location was, as it no longer shoves contents downward.

Also this prime spot is currently through a different company than Google, one that is more video game specific and oriented, in hopes that what they have to advertise will be relevant and interesting to more of you who see them, although they do fall back on Google when they've run out of their own stuff to show. They're still onboarding accounts so the ratio between new stuff and google stuff will be shifting towards "new" I hope.

Lastly, we've also seeded our existing ads with more Amazon content. We get nothing for displaying them, but if they interest you enough to follow one and purchase stuff we get a portion of that, just as if you were to follow the Amazon link topside.

2. Default Re: Ads

Could you put that image in a spoiler or make it smaller cause it kinda pineapples the homepage for me.

3. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Ads

4. Default Re: Ads

The site admin being able to login as other people is hardly a novel concept.

5. Default Re: Ads

Turned on Ad Block Plus just to check, but it does block those adds for me (total 10 blocked). Then I realized I don't allow unobtrusive adds normally. Does this increase revenue any significant amount from ad blockers?

Somewhat on topic, but do you how many/what % of active users use Ad blocks on Southperry?

6. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Remember to thumb down all ads that are irrelevant.

7. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

I know I do, and so long as they don't show anything that I wouldn't want to see I'm fine with keeping these ads viewable.

8. Default Re: Ads

Rather hard to measure just yet, given it's only been available ~ 2 hours now.

40%

9. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

While true, i just didn't know something like that existed/was in use

10. Default Re: Ads

Just noticed I'm not seeing any ads at the top and I don't have AdBlock enabled on southperry pages, any ideas? All I see are the Project Wonderful ones at the bottom of threads.

11. Default Re: Ads

One way or another you're blocking. It's not your account so that leaves you PC or your network.
    Do an Inspect Element and view your console to see what it has to say;

12. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

All I'm seeing is lifelock, norton, and insurance companies in Va. so far.
    Is this company a new startup or something?

13. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i never had adblock turned on for SP anyways, but i hope this helps the site.

14. Default Re: Ads

Nope, but this is their first foray into alternative ads. Previously they just monitored the degree of blocking occurring.

15. Default Re: Ads

That's all well and good but could you please put the large image in [SPOILER] tags? I can't see the Online module without going fullscreen.

16. Default Re: Ads

Spoiler

17. Default Re: Ads

Looks like it's being filtered somewhere in your network before it ever gets to you.

18. Default Re: Ads

I've been using adblock because flash ads have always caused massive browser instability for me on pretty much any browser I've used, granted, now that I have a good rig maybe it's time to whitelist sp again.

19. Default Re: Ads

Just saw an ad for anti-virus 2014. I doubt anyone on this site is stupid enough to download it but as a fair warning anyway that software is a scam to hold your favorite websites as hostages claiming they have viruses until you buy the "full version" of the software which simply allow you to look at your favorite sites again. It is mostly a trick that only the most internet-newbies can fall for but the fact that this site is even getting that ad is kinda pissing me off. I had to uninstall that program because a family member was stupid to download it thinking two anti-virus programs would somehow double protect the computer.

I use ad block mostly for flash ads and such. Kinda became required over the years when websites gave up on looking decent just for a few extra pennies.

20. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

No matter what "rig" I am on I'm always getting instability from flash ads.
    probably has to do with having decades of tabs open simultaneously.