IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Fred Phelps is dead

The leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, Fred Phelps is dead.

He was reported to be hospitalised and on the verge of death a few days ago, and apparently as soon as he was ill and hospitalized, he was immediately excommunicated from the church. What loyalty.

There is... fairly predictable reactions from the internet regarding this.

He was a vile and disgusting person, but do you think it's right to speak ill of the dead?
    There was also talks to picket his funeral, like he did for the military funerals. Which would of course be poetic justice in a way, but that doesn't really feel like rising above it. More like sinking to their level.

Here is what Westboro Baptist Church had to say:
    "Your Dashed Hopes"

And this, which is truly disgusting.

What do you guys think of this?
    (also I have no idea how to link twitter posts, so images will have to do, ha)

2. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

I'm honestly glad that he's dead.
    The pomegranate he started is vile and reprehensible.

3. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

I won't celebrate his death, or even protest his funeral (literally/figuratively) because that make me no better than the church. I personally will let them have their peace.

4. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

pineapple 'em. screw whether they're dead or not, people still will say what they will.

5. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

It's a shame the entire church didn't crumble when he died, like video game lairs of old.

6. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

Disgusting man

Inb4 his funeral is picketed

7. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

Agreed.

Although I guess I do feel a bit of pity for him. He died most likely alone, ignorant, and even ex-communicated from his own establishment he firmly believed in. I mean I have nothing nice to say about him, but I just kinda feel sorry for him for his ignorance.

8. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

It's ironic because he was a fantastic activist for african american rights, was a lawyer for their civil rights and one day he just cracked.

9. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

Didn't know that. I don't know if I feel even more pity for him or if I should not care, but I am not looking forward to all the news/twitter/radio broadcasts of them "celebrating" his death. I guess I'm indifferent =/

10. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

his church is the pineappleing water temple of churches

11. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

Well don't get the wrong idea, overall what he did was pretty terrible in general, it's just that it's a lot more complicated than his reputation leads him to be

12. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

That's the best time to talk badly about them, though. Just because someone is dead doesn't make them any less of a worthless pile of garbage.
    Spoiler

13. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

That is just what the church would want people to do. It's sad to even call that place a church. But alas, it seems plenty of churches stray from what Christ's original intent was. Although that is a discussion for another day.

In my opinion, it'd be best just to forget about him and move on, without giving them the attention that they desire.

14. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

curious as to why he was excommunicated.

15. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

he had the audacity to die. Now his ghost will be in heaven where he'll try to convince god that he hates papayagots.

16. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

Yes. Being dead doesn't really give you some immunity from what you did while you were alive. If you did bad things, people are going to say bad things about you, even after you are dead. While you do have to look at both sides, being dead doesn't mean people should turn a blind eye because it is "rude" to speak ill of the dead. And that is usually on a smaller level and doesn't apply to any public figure.

Hitler.

17. Eos Scammed Me. Bi Male
    IGN: Ryninagha
    Server: Windia
    Level: 16x
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: EmoCorner
    Alliance: EmoNight

I'm usually really reserved in speaking poorly of people who pass, but I think throughout history there are a few select people who are so morally repugnant that even death shouldn't be a shield from tarnishing them. People are judged by how they lived their lives, even in death, and he's no exception of this. Just, in his case, people won't be reluctant to hold their tongue because his only lasting legacy was that of a delusional old religious quack who spent his days spewing hate filled bigotry under the guise of pseudo-Christianity.

Pineapple him. And pineapple everything he and his church stand for.

18. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

If that is indeed the reason, it's the final proof that this "church" is a ridiculous cult rather than a sustainable religion.

Yes, it looks bad for a religion if a leader falls ill, and despite the believers all praying for him, he dies. But all sensible religions are able to deal with this, usually with some variation on the "God wanted him beside Him now" theme. Excommunicating someone so he doesn't die "under our roof" is the height of absurdity, and makes the religion very unattractive to converts. People often convert, or are "born again", out of fear of death and what comes after. If they have reason to think they'd be excommunicated right before they die (and therefore might end up in Hell, lacking the religion's protection at the final judgement), they won't join.

19. Proton Straight Male
    IGN: RenmazuoDX
    Level: 220
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Mugiwaras
    Alliance: Imperium
    Farm: RenVilleDX
    Kentucky

Good friggin riddance. Hope he packed some shorts and some flip flops cause its gonna be hot where that pineappleer is headed lol.

20. Default Re: Fred Phelps is dead

Well, one down, how many more to go?

He absolutely deserves to have has funeral picketed though. If he refused to give peace to other people mourning to push a ridiculous agenda, he certainly doesn't deserve any either.