Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: War in Ukraine?

1. Default Re: War in Ukraine?

I just didn't know about it. :/ The Memorandum does make things a bit more interesting at least.

I'm not denying that their relations have improved. I just don't see China cooperating with Russia because it's not exactly in their mutual interest, especially with a chance of EU and US intervention. Not to mention that would be contrary to why they said no to intervention in Syria anyways. But I guess it is always a possibility.

@DarkForgeJ; You misinterpreted the part of the post you quoted.

2. Default Re: War in Ukraine?

We can agree to disagree but my personal opinion is the whole "common enemy" is enough in this case

3. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Re: War in Ukraine?

Semi-related:

My reaction when people online refer to RussiaToday as their "neutral" source:

It's funded by the Russian Government. Doesn't that say enough about the credibility? Seriously... 100% Putin propaganda.

4. Default Re: War in Ukraine?

Well, just pondering, if China does aid Russia then if the US goes against the two can China just not call in all the loans/debt and crush the US financially? So either US allies with a Chinese alliance to save it's finances and probably ends up on the, imo, wrong side and most likely to lose side ORRRrrr get's screwed over by China.

Lovely

5. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Besides that fact that I seriously doubt China wants to get involved with Russia against the UN/EU/US over Ukraine, it is ridiculous to think that China would get a cent out of the US if they entered a war. It's hard enough to collect $1+ trillion from a country, but it's impossible if you are at war with that same country.

Btw, lol @ the Russian stock market tanking. Serves them right for breaking international law

6. Electron Male
    IGN: Sungoon
    Server: Scania
    Level: 205
    Job: Archmage [F/P]
    Guild: Mercuria
    Alliance: Resistances
    Farm: Francais
    Michigan

Agreed, and I do wonder how many people in China the US is providing with jobs? China's historically had a problem with keeping their people happy.

7. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    usa

People tend to overestimate China. Yes, they are a rising powerful state, but they are riddled with problems. China is also quite ambitious when it comes to its desired territories, so I think they really need to pick their battles with the international community. The world is only going to put up with China's s'hit for so long.

8. Default Re: War in Ukraine?

Aren't China and Amerikkka so depended on each others import and export, that if they ever really had a war, both economies would collapse?

9. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    usa

Yea it would be pretty horrendous for both sides, but tbh if we go to war with China, our economic health is the least of our problems

10. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

Not like america's financial status hasn't been bad for a hot minute now. >_>

11. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

lol daymn, hope shes not jailed now.

12. Default Re: War in Ukraine?

Few things;
    China is kind of in an awkward position. They naturally do not like to get involved with things like this, their foreign policy is to stay out of it lol. The problem is Ukraine is their greatest source of of food. In fact Ukraine has a 3 billion dollar debt to china which they pay back in corn.
    Considering China's dilemma with population, I can see that their priority would be these food outlets over actual money. In addition too, securing Moscows political stance does two things, stands up to show their dominance towards western influence, kind of standing up to what they consider a bully, and ensures their current arrangement/interests with Ukraine.

13. Neon Atom Gay Male
    IGN: XJunkun
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: Buccaneer
    Guild: Jabaited
    Alliance: You
    California

That's taped in the USA though. Why would she

14. Default Re: War in Ukraine?

Are you asking why she quit?

15. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

He's asking why she would be jailed.

16. Default Re: War in Ukraine?

Oh I didn't even that notation under the video

17. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    usa

Interesting article I read last night from Foreign Policy and that discusses China's relationship with Russia in the scope of Ukraine. I think it is pretty relevant to what we are talking about in this thread:

Beijing and Moscow Part Ways Over Ukraine

Edit:

I disagree that China needs to go out of their way to "show their dominance towards western influence." China has already been doing a lot of things that directly contrast with western influence/policies (such as their expansion of their air defense zone and claiming numerous islands in the South China Sea). Not to mention their decision to side with Russia against the Western initiative to disarm and punish Syria after their use of chemical weapons.
    Last edited by CrazyForDex; 2014-03-06 at 11:37 AM. Reason: additional info

18. Default Re: War in Ukraine?

Unfortunately I can't see it, the state firewall is stating its a personal website or something. But I haven't found a second source to echo that title, just that the Russians are exaggerating china's backing.

As for your examples, that was my point, they are going to side with Russia on this in a passive state because they don't believe in the USA's tendency to intervene, thus they're more about allowing Russia do what they want to solve their own problem. That's the cards we see right now, if we broke into war, they would sooner side with Russia than us because of something as simple as their shared ideologies.

19. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    usa

Well Foreign Policy is far from a personal opinion website. It's a very legitimate political analysis magazine that has been recommended to me by several of my professors at my university and other prominent political figures. I suppose I'll look for another source once I get home from classes.

I don't see how my examples prove your point. Yes, China has gone to great lengths in the past to express its own agenda in the face of Western influence, but I am arguing that they are not going to side with Russia in this case simply because it would antagonize the West. China doesn't get much out of blindly supporting Russia after they disregard the sovereignty of another nation. This is actually a concern for China and they are likely feeling wary about Russia's recent imperialist foreign policy change.

Here is the article in full:
    Spoiler

20. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

I want to add, despite being against Russia in this situation, I'm not really pleased with how US is acting either. I feel like both countries are making the situation worse, both are being hypocrites and exaggerating things that are in their favour.

A few points to remember:

1. Russian forces have only been in Crimea so far.
    2. Crimea consists mostly of people with Russian roots, many (most?) of them seem to be on Russia's side and they were the ones who wanted Russia there.
    3. Russia has not used any violence against anyone in Crimea so far (and hopefully won't in the future).
    4. The current government is illegal, not chosen by elections and most likely if the government overthrown would've been the west-friendly one, US/EU reaction would be way different.
    5. Last but not least, US is not in the position to tell Russia about "breaking international law". We all know what US has done in the past, how many countries it has invaded and started wars with, not giving a crap about international laws, pacts etc. On the other hand, "they did so too" is an excuse that you should hear in elementary school and not in politics, I'm sure Putin understands this as well.

These things aren't black and white, I admit that I first acted as if they were.